Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Summer talk : Who's our best candidate as Earl's replacement

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Not sure if Earl will be back, but the team has been trying to trade him for the past few months. One got to believe front office and Pete have someone in mind to step in as our new FS? Earl was the one Pete traded up to draft because Pete saw something in Earl that will make his system shine. Have Pete found someone with similar attributes? Who might that be? We draft Tre Flowers, a safety but is converting him to corner. We sure didn't sign any big buck safety.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:Not sure if Earl will be back, but the team has been trying to trade him for the past few months. One got to believe front office and Pete have someone in mind to step in as our new FS? Earl was the one Pete traded up to draft because Pete saw something in Earl that will make his system shine. Have Pete found someone with similar attributes? Who might that be? We draft Tre Flowers, a safety but is converting him to corner. We sure didn't sign any big buck safety.

Could be we did and he is already here. Earl isn't a interception machine, his qualiies are his Football IQ and ability to process information fast and then react and get there fast. We have guys with his speed, we just don't know about the IQ and reaction time to diagnose plays before reacting. That requires film room time and study habits that Kam, Earl and Sherm all put in huge hours on, that dedication paid off in on field recognision and communication that we all seen as a devestating pass defense.

I remember it being said that those three spent as much time in the film room looking at offenses and individual players for tip offs as Wilson spends.

I think Earl will miss that combined brain thrust, I hope Kam sticks as a Coach or at least on the PUP and a contributor to pass along that work ethic.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    toffee wrote:Not sure if Earl will be back, but the team has been trying to trade him for the past few months. One got to believe front office and Pete have someone in mind to step in as our new FS? Earl was the one Pete traded up to draft because Pete saw something in Earl that will make his system shine. Have Pete found someone with similar attributes? Who might that be? We draft Tre Flowers, a safety but is converting him to corner. We sure didn't sign any big buck safety.

Could be we did and he is already here. Earl isn't a interception machine, his qualiies are his Football IQ and ability to process information fast and then react and get there fast. We have guys with his speed, we just don't know about the IQ and reaction time to diagnose plays before reacting. That requires film room time and study habits that Kam, Earl and Sherm all put in huge hours on, that dedication paid off in on field recognision and communication that we all seen as a devestating pass defense.

I remember it being said that those three spent as much time in the film room looking at offenses and individual players for tip offs as Wilson spends.

I think Earl will miss that combined brain thrust, I hope Kam sticks as a Coach or at least on the PUP and a contributor to pass along that work ethic.

Great point, from the countless hours of combine film study, analyse, and bonding, they developed some sort of instinct that they could act as one which save the second or two reaction time.

Got to wonder what's Pete's plan B if Earl doesn't come back, I would like to think there's got to be a plan B. It would be irresponsible if there aren't plan Bs.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• FS on our current roster other than Earl:

Alex Carter
    FS 6-0 20lbs 23yo 1 Stanford
    A journey man by now? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Cart ... n_football)#Professional_career)

Bradley McDougald
    FS 6-1 215lbs 27yo 6 Kansas

T.J. Mutcherson
    FS 5-10 197lbs 25yo R UCF
    Anyone knows much about this rookie?

Tedric Thompson
    FS 6-0 204lbs 23yo 2 Colorado
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tedric_Thompson

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Isn't the present plan for either McDougald or Tedric Thompson to be that FS replacement, short term? SS has other candidates: most notably short term is Delano Hill, but Pete has talked favourably about Maurice Alexander

Longer term, I could see the team picking up a free agent or drafting a guy they are certain could fill the role.

Other potential players for FS already here are carter, Mutcherson, or even Tre Flowers who played S in college but Pete thinks may be better suite to be a CB.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• jammerhawk wrote:Isn't the present plan for either McDougald or Tedric Thompson to be that FS replacement, short term? SS has other candidates: most notably short term is Delano Hill, but Pete has talked favourably about Maurice Alexander

Longer term, I could see the team picking up a free agent or drafting a guy they are certain could fill the role.

Other potential players for FS already here are carter, Mutcherson, or even Tre Flowers who played S in college but Pete thinks may be better suite to be a CB.

Wouldn't Maurice Alexander be quite a journey man by now? Dude couldn't hold his job, got out competed by a rookie at the Rams.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Isn't the present plan for either McDougald or Tedric Thompson to be that FS replacement, short term? SS has other candidates: most notably short term is Delano Hill, but Pete has talked favourably about Maurice Alexander

Wouldn't Maurice Alexander be quite a journey man by now? Dude couldn't hold his job, got out competed by a rookie at the Rams.

Yeah your using someone elses analyst, Pete as a way of putting people in places that take advantage of their strengths, and hiding their weaknesses, our scheme may use him in a way he can just play down hill and not have to react as much.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Isn't the present plan for either McDougald or Tedric Thompson to be that FS replacement, short term? SS has other candidates: most notably short term is Delano Hill, but Pete has talked favourably about Maurice Alexander

Yeah your using someone elses analyst, Pete as a way of putting people in places that take advantage of their strengths, and hiding their weaknesses, our scheme may use him in a way he can just play down hill and not have to react as much.

You got a good point.

Two "mysteries" this off season:

1. OL
    Pete is solving by changing coach, get a blocking TE and a stud RB. Instead of investing in more linemen.

2. FS
    Pete put Earl on trade market, so he got to have a plan B if Earl got traded. Unlike the OL, we can't see any obvious plan on how to replace Earl. Like Chris said, may be Pete had someone in mind.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• McDougald is likely the replacement at FS at least initially.

IMO, Alexander has a leg up at SS for two reasons: One is that he has quite a bit of actual playing experience and has experience as a LB and safety in college. Second reason, is that speaking of college, he knows Wagner and that might mean, just maybe, that Wags might make even a subconscious effort to make communication better between himself and Alexander. The communication part is key because in this type of defense, the SS has some proximity to the MLB so they can hear each other. The FS cannot even be heard when the Link cranks up in a home game. That has to be relayed by the SS if any adjustments are made. Alexander is an experience NFL player that came from Utah St, where his captain also came from. It might just matter.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• McDougald is better at SS than FS. That is where is he says he is most comfortable. He had a really high stop rate as a SS.

I would like to see what Tedric Thompson can do in a game at FS. He had some of the best instincts I have seen at the college level. But people question his speed to play this position in the NFL.

The answer is no one can replace Earl. I expect him back by Week 1.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• If we are looking at the current team, it has to be Tedric, although a 4.7 40 just ain't cutting it.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Pete wants to convert Tre Flowers to corner, otherwise dude was a college safety, tall and pretty fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee
    NET Veteran

• They'll obviously fight it out in camp, so we'll see who emerges. One thing I know is that I have faith in Pete Carroll to field a top calibre defense, particularly in the secondary. Only one of the LoB was anyone before the LoB. Otherwise it was Richard who? Kam who? Byron who? Is that the Browner guy who was playing CFL because he couldn't cut it in the NFL?

Who they are when they enter the program is irrelevant. Who they become is everything.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

• Looks like we don’t have a designated replacement yet.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Trade rumors are heating back up again so I'll be curious to see if they look into Brandon Bryant. He got a DUI some time back, but his talent is undeniable. He got slammed by Fournette once, but otherwise fast and physical. Earl Thomas has gotten completely and utterly destroyed by much lesser backs though so whatever.

vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Ask Gronk if ET can hit
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Ask Gronk if ET can hit

He's got a few good ones here and there. I wouldn't accuse him of being a hitter though. Seen him wrecked by RBs one too many times.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• vin.couve12 wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Ask Gronk if ET can hit

He's got a few good ones here and there. I wouldn't accuse him of being a hitter though. Seen him wrecked by RBs one too many times.

LOL, so bitter. If Earl hadn't made the dumb Dallas overture, you would never make such a silly comment.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:

LOL, so bitter. If Earl hadn't made the dumb Dallas overture, you would never make such a silly comment.

Clearly you haven't followed. At no point have I ever said that ET is the best safety and I've always maintained that it's questionable that he's top 5 and at no point has he been the best safety on his own team since Kam started. He's a cover 3 safety more than 50% of the time of his entire career. He is NOT a single high safety. He plays in the most conservative base defense in the NFL and that's a fact. Cover 3 is harder on the backers/nickel and SS because of the ground they have to cover on faster throws, hence why dink and dunk works against the Hawks. You have only 4 guys in short coverage vs 5 in cover 2. You have 3 guys deep vs only 2 in cover 2.

Earl has the 1st round effect. The only player who is more overrated by that same effect is Luke Keuchly, who is the best pass coverage backer, but has severe weaknesses at the POA. That's why the Panthers spend so much on DTs. Or did rather...

Earl is and always has been overrated. Paying him what he wants is dumb as a rock. You will never find a post from me talking about how good/great Earl is.

No, the bitterness is yours.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• vin.couve12 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:

Clearly you haven't followed. At no point have I ever said that ET is the best safety and I've always maintained that it's questionable that he's top 5 and at no point has he been the best safety on his own team since Kam started. He's a cover 3 safety more than 50% of the time of his entire career. He is NOT a single high safety. He plays in the most conservative base defense in the NFL and that's a fact. Cover 3 is harder on the backers/nickel and SS because of the ground they have to cover on faster throws, hence why dink and dunk works against the Hawks. You have only 4 guys in short coverage vs 5 in cover 2. You have 3 guys deep vs only 2 in cover 2.

Earl has the 1st round effect. The only player who is more overrated by that same effect is Luke Keuchly, who is the best pass coverage backer, but has severe weaknesses at the POA. That's why the Panthers spend so much on DTs. Or did rather...

Earl is and always has been overrated. Paying him what he wants is dumb as a rock. You will never find a post from me talking about how good/great Earl is.

So to shorten this up.

Earl is a product of the system and not even our best safety including a injured Kam.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:He's got a few good ones here and there. I wouldn't accuse him of being a hitter though. Seen him wrecked by RBs one too many times.

So to shorten this up.

Earl is a product of the system and not even our best safety including a injured Kam.

Including an injured Kam? What are you talking about?

Anyway, cover 3 is very favorable for big corners and the FS, yes. Even Sherm wouldn't be the best corner of his generation if he were playing cover 1 all the time (that's man for corners). Cover 1 was exactly what was asked of Maxwell when he went to Philly, for instance. Didn't turn out so well. Of course, only Chip Kelly is dumb enough to play cover 1 base defense in the NFL without the extreme athletic talent it takes to run it. Denver pulled it off because they had the horses and, more importantly, a dominant pass rush. The latter is actually more important than any coverage, but that's neither here nor there. Earl is very good. His getting from A to Z has been awesome. He's just not this great revolutionary player that he's touted to be. Not to the point of 13 mil for a cover 3 FS anyway. I wouldn't even go 8 mil at this point in his career.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• No,wait...ET is a generational talent. We should get a 1st round pick for him. ;)
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Earl is a ball hawk. You can't teach instinct.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:No,wait...ET is a generational talent. We should get a 1st round pick for him. ;)

We should, and FO agreed, which is why he's still a Seahawk. The Cowboys reportedly offered a 3rd or 4th to which the Seahawks laughed.. And they'd laugh at you too for suggesting he's worth a 3rd.

lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:

So to shorten this up.

Including an injured Kam? What are you talking about?

Anyway, cover 3 is very favorable for big corners and the FS, yes. Even Sherm wouldn't be the best corner of his generation if he were playing cover 1 all the time (that's man for corners). Cover 1 was exactly what was asked of Maxwell when he went to Philly, for instance. Didn't turn out so well. Of course, only Chip Kelly is dumb enough to play cover 1 base defense in the NFL without the extreme athletic talent it takes to run it. Denver pulled it off because they had the horses and, more importantly, a dominant pass rush. The latter is actually more important than any coverage, but that's neither here nor there. Earl is very good. His getting from A to Z has been awesome. He's just not this great revolutionary player that he's touted to be. Not to the point of 13 mil for a cover 3 FS anyway. I wouldn't even go 8 mil at this point in his career.

At no point have I ever said that ET is the best safety and I've always maintained that it's questionable that he's top 5 and at no point has he been the best safety on his own team since Kam started

Right here you stated that Earl was not even the best Safety on the team since Kam started, Kam is still officially on the team, and Kam actually plays more a LB more then a typical SS. More of the 4th LB in our hybrid 4-3, 3-4 scheme.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• That depends purely on down and distance, situatuonal football. Kam was the chess peice that had the talent to move around and play multiple spots and, subsequently, why we didn't have a real need to backfil for Bruce Irvin. That luxury is gone and that's why Mingo and his competition will be important this year. Kam played anywhere from centerfield to strong side force edge.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• lukerguy wrote:Earl is a ball hawk. You can't teach instinct.

Can you teach hands? Because Earl has probably dropped twenty easy interceptions in his career.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Lacking a ready FS standing by to replace Earl should worry 12s. Apparently Mike Tyson is in the mix.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    lukerguy wrote:Earl is a ball hawk. You can't teach instinct.

Can you teach hands? Because Earl has probably dropped twenty easy interceptions in his career.

Gotta agree. I laughed when he threw his name in the mix for punt return a couple seasons ago. That went all of about 3 tries before Pete woke up.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Got a valid point there.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Yes, you cant teach hands...and, no, Earl doesn't have any... but I'll take being in the right spot 95% of the time, sure tackler, and relentless motor over hands in a DB any day of the week.

lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• I dunno but it seems he has good enough hands to me...some of those catches he made aren't easy to make.

hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• He has hard hands, not natural at catching at all, even doing returns he seemed to fight catching the football. He will make some plays but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Yeah hard hands the kind that will knock the ball out right as you think your going in for a touchdown. He's been a good player for the Hawks would hate to see him go. If he's going to become a distraction or sink the term by way of a long term guaranteed contract though either play him on the tag a couple years or sign and trade. If thats the case thanks for the years of service and best of luck.
    homerun1970
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:Lacking a ready FS standing by to replace Earl should worry 12s. Apparently Mike Tyson is in the mix.

The bigger question is how do the Hawks value Earl and their current group of safeties.

McDougald is the fall back plan but a couple guys will be given the chance to be the starter if Earl doesn't return. Thompson, Tyson and possibly Hill. I want to see Earl return for at least one more season but that doesn't look likely.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• For what? Why? What do you think you're going to net gain from Earl for one season? Has he ever been a bigtime playmaker in the playoffs when it mattered? Our playoff playmakers have been pass rushers, Wags, Kam (SB and NFCG in particular) and Sherm.

Earl Thomas does not net a SB and therefore one more year stinks of "Don't leave me, girl." desperation and only serves to stunt growth of other candidates.

It's done. It's over.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Maybe he's there to show the kids how it is done. We're going to get a 3rd for him anyways, why give that away to move up a round?
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:Maybe he's there to show the kids how it is done. We're going to get a 3rd for him anyways, why give that away to move up a round?

But, what if we got a straight across trade for someone else?
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:Maybe he's there to show the kids how it is done. We're going to get a 3rd for him anyways, why give that away to move up a round?

Show how what's done? It's already established he's not a vocal leader. He keeps to himself. The coaches were trying to get him to step up and be a vocal leader last year when Kam went down. Luckily, Kam spent extra time with McDougald, even at Kam's house, none the less.

So it begs the question; what is Earl showing the young guys how to get done? Is he still some sort of example as a Seahawk and as a teammate? Hell, in the past two weeks he's thumbed up a Cowboys fan wanting him to come to Dallas and then yesterday he does the same to a different Cowboys fan and then replies to him, "America's team str8 truth."

Getting word to schnieder before the draft that he'll be in camp and then saying he's holding out after the draft. Draft impact?

Come get me.

Throwinga teammate under the bus publically when he himself didn't do his own job in the same damn game.

How in the entire #$@$ is Earl Thomas an example for our young players?
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• If we're trying to train a cover-3 safety, who better to watch every day and compare your reactions to than one of the best that has ever done it? If we're trying to train young corners about how to communicate and play with your safeties, doesn't it make sense to have an expert in playing in the cover-3 defense helping to direct traffic? He's always been a GREAT communicator ON the field.

Don't you want to show your young kids what a warrior looks like? What it looks like to play every down with your hair on fire?

Surely there is one round of value in there, and then you don't have to trade him to a potential NFC playoff team that is a safety short.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:If we're trying to train a cover-3 safety, who better to watch every day and compare your reactions to than one of the best that has ever done it? If we're trying to train young corners about how to communicate and play with your safeties, doesn't it make sense to have an expert in playing in the cover-3 defense helping to direct traffic? He's always been a GREAT communicator ON the field.

Don't you want to show your young kids what a warrior looks like? What it looks like to play every down with your hair on fire?

Surely there is one round of value in there, and then you don't have to trade him to a potential NFC playoff team that is a safety short.

Help direct traffic? Train who? He doesn't do any of that. Show them what a warrior looks like? It's the NFL where alphas are the majority. As an example, since Earl keeps to himself and isn't a vocal leader or have anything to do with on field adjustments, the aforementioned value can be learned from tape.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• None of us is in the film room so what we've got to go on is hearsay and not much of that tbh. If we ever had all or nothing it would've been really cool to see exactly what the dynamic was. Too late now.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:If we're trying to train a cover-3 safety, who better to watch every day and compare your reactions to than one of the best that has ever done it? If we're trying to train young corners about how to communicate and play with your safeties, doesn't it make sense to have an expert in playing in the cover-3 defense helping to direct traffic? He's always been a GREAT communicator ON the field.

Help direct traffic? Train who? He doesn't do any of that. Show them what a warrior looks like? It's the NFL where alphas are the majority. As an example, since Earl keeps to himself and isn't a vocal leader or have anything to do with on field adjustments, the aforementioned value can be learned from tape.

Are we talking about the same player? Literally, none of that is true. Are you trying to disagree that Earl plays with more intensity than anyone else on the team? Doesn't have anything to do with on-field adjustments. Doesn't help direct traffic. Doesn't train anyone. Watch coach's tape sometime.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:

For that matter, it seemed like Sherman dropped more picks than he caught the past couple of years as well.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:If we're trying to train a cover-3 safety, who better to watch every day and compare your reactions to than one of the best that has ever done it? If we're trying to train young corners about how to communicate and play with your safeties, doesn't it make sense to have an expert in playing in the cover-3 defense helping to direct traffic? He's always been a GREAT communicator ON the field.

Are we talking about the same player? Literally, none of that is true. Are you trying to disagree that Earl plays with more intensity than anyone else on the team? Doesn't have anything to do with on-field adjustments. Doesn't help direct traffic. Doesn't train anyone. Watch coach's tape sometime.

Plays with more intensity than anyone on the team? That's just BS man worship. And he is not a vocal leader. He's an odd duck that keeps to himself. Watch last year's McDougald press conf and there are also various reports of this. Also, watching tape doesn't mean he trains others. McDougald is now more of a leader than Thomas ever has been in half a season.

Now, explain how a FS making adjustments at the CLink is even feasible with the crowd cranked up. This should be good....let alone how he admittedly took queues from Kam.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• vin.couve12 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:

Plays with more intensity than anyone on the team? That's just BS man worship. And he is not a vocal leader. He's an odd duck that keeps to himself. Watch last year's McDougald press conf and there are also various reports of this. Also, watching tape doesn't mean he trains others. McDougald is now more of a leader than Thomas ever has been in half a season.

Now, explain how a FS making adjustments at the CLink is even feasible with the crowd cranked up. This should be good....let alone how he admittedly took queues from Kam.

I think you're the only person around that would claim he isn't the most intense Seahawk. I guess you could get a Jarran Reed vote every now and again.

You act like he's standing out there in the deep third of the defense, separated and not talking to anybody. Watch the tape. He spends all game sending signals and is talking to his teammates after almost every play. I could be wrong, but I don't think I'm the one here whose bias is preventing a correct assessment.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:He's got a few good ones here and there. I wouldn't accuse him of being a hitter though. Seen him wrecked by RBs one too many times.

So to shorten this up.

I am no expert, but wasn't a lot of Earl's success due to the positioning that Kam would have them make pre snap?

Again, I'm not an expert here but I thought I had read that or seen this stated somewhere?
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

• Kam made a lot of the calls for the secondary coverage and alignment working with Wags.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Next

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information