Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Kam Hall of Famer?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Kam Hall of Famer?
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:42 pm
  • According to this video, no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PHfDbC3dhM

I disagree because I think all three of the main LOB members get in. That defense was too good for too long. But he does appear to be missing out on some important stats (hardly any sacks, not many interceptions) but what surprised me the most from this video is that he was never a first team all pro. WTF? That's just messed up right there.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Re: Kam Hall of Famer?
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:45 pm
  • In terms of impact, talent, and notoriety, yes he should def get in IMO. I doubt he actually will though. :/
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:12 pm
  • In my homer opinion yes! If he played for a legacy/big market team he’d be a shoe in. Not sure if he got enough media attention to get in. Look how long it took Kenny Easley to get in, who IMHO should have been a first ballot HOF’er.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:55 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:In my homer opinion yes! If he played for a legacy/big market team he’d be a shoe in. Not sure if he got enough media attention to get in. Look how long it took Kenny Easley to get in, who IMHO should have been a first ballot HOF’er.

I think he probably gets in the same way as Easley. The veterans committee will nominate and get him into the HOF. Of course that will take some time and both Sherman and Thomas will have been waiting for many years to have him join with them.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:57 pm
  • Most feared player of his generation. Kam Chancellor belongs in the Hall of Fame.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:36 pm
  • Not even close. Doubt he’ll even get nominated.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:41 pm
  • Safeties never get into the hall of fame.

Kenny Easley was a top 5 pick in the draft from a big school in UCLA. Was NFL all-decade team, 4-time All-Pro, Defensive MVP 1984, 6th most interceptions for a safety. It took him almost 30 years to get in, Kam does not have a resume close to Easley's
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:19 pm
  • Sadly, if he had received the SB MVP that many feel he deserved it would definitely have helped his cause. He still has a chance.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:55 pm
  • Unfortunately, I don't believe he gets in. Missing too many stats.
    Hawk1217
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:14 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:Most feared player of his generation. Kam Chancellor belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Agreed. Sadly that is probably not enough. The Hall of Fame is notoriously statistic driven.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:28 am
  • One of my all-time favorite Hawks...

But, no chance.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:34 am
  • Hall of very good. I think he needed to have a couple of more years of good play in order to make the HOF. His statline is also not up to par.

If Kam does get in it will be many, many years in the future, and it will be more due to his reputation of being the toughest player of this generation.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 am
  • Loved Kam but IMO not a HOF'er.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:09 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I Look how long it took Kenny Easley to get in, who IMHO should have been a first ballot HOF’er.

This is a very good point and now I'm sad. :cry:
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 am
  • Seafan wrote:Sadly, if he had received the SB MVP that many feel he deserved it would definitely have helped his cause. He still has a chance.

I agree and I think an SB MVP would have done a lot more for his resume than a few more years of solid play. Ultimately, I don't think it's the duration of his career that is going to be the problem, I think it's going to be the lack of eye catching stats.

But I still say he gets in. And I don't think it will take the 30 years it took Kenny. I remember reading sometime back (I believe it was) Peter King talking about the approach with the Hall is to get as many people in as possible. He won't be a first ballot, but I bet he makes it. Part of it, though, might depend on the Seahawks still being relevant 5 or 6 years from now so he is remembered at the time he is eligible.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:18 am
  • Too many other more deserving players ahead of him.

I say no... sadly.
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:03 am

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:33 am
  • he only had 2-3 years where he was amongst the elite at his position. We forget that he would throw years in every now and again where he was kind of a liability against the pass. Then would seemingly recover the next year.

I'd say no, and no shot, but our defense was soooo good....can it really be that only Sherm and Earl and maybe Wagner get in? Seems to me that a defense that good should get another guy or two. Maybe not.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 am
  • I do not believe that he played long enough. He will be considered by some to be a "flash in the pan".
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:51 am
  • To me Kam is following the same career path as Kenny Easley.................well respected by his peers and former coaches, GM's, etc, but career cut short so not enough stats to get in.

So no to getting in through regular committee, but maybe down the line as a veteran voted member, like Easley.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:57 am
  • To me, Kam is exactly the type of player that the HOF is meant for. He's a unique player who defined (redefined) his position. He was one of (if not the) most feared safety in the game. He definitely belongs in the HOF, but I still doubt he gets in (at least through the conventional means). If he ever does get in, I think it's more likely to be by the veteran committee years down the road. And that is still a big if.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:58 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:he only had 2-3 years where he was amongst the elite at his position. We forget that he would throw years in every now and again where he was kind of a liability against the pass. Then would seemingly recover the next year.

I'd say no, and no shot, but our defense was soooo good....can it really be that only Sherm and Earl and maybe Wagner get in? Seems to me that a defense that good should get another guy or two. Maybe not.

I agree..
    Bam Bam wasn't elite for a long enough period..
    That holdout did him no favors,he never was quite the same player after that
    season.
    I kind of resent the Easley comp..He was one of a kind and a HOFer period
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:23 pm
  • Hall of Famer= Nope
    Seahawks Ring of Honor- Yes.

I say the same thing for Marshawn Lynch.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:50 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:Most feared player of his generation. Kam Chancellor belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Agreed. Sadly that is probably not enough. The Hall of Fame is notoriously statistic driven.

For the most part, yeah, but Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame and his stats suck.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:45 pm
  • If Fear Factor was a stat he would be a first ballot.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:11 pm
  • Seahawk_Dan wrote:
    Aros wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:Most feared player of his generation. Kam Chancellor belongs in the Hall of Fame.

For the most part, yeah, but Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame and his stats suck.

Were you around when Joe Namath played?
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:34 pm
  • Joe was the FIRST Superstar NFL player, Jim Brown and others Otto Graham etc were household names but Joe, did commercials, he was at Events, he wore Mink Coats, was the most charismatic and flamboyant player ever to that point, he also signed the biggest Contract ever at the time and by a whole lot as a Rookie, I think it was like 425,000, he did it at the time the AFL and NFL were at war so to speak and his signing basically ended it. His Guarantee win in the Super Bowl gets a lot of news, but it was all the other stuff and the fact before his knees were blown out he had a cannon for a arm for that time period.

That doesn't even include the toughness aspect, he took a lot of shots and played with pain that todays players would be ending a season with. He was a target because of his notoriety and big contract, especially by former NFL players and players in the NFC once they merged.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:39 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Not even close. Doubt he’ll even get nominated.

This
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:52 am
  • Love me some Kam, but like others have said, it's not even close. A few more years of domination and he could have at least been talked about.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:02 pm
  • Kam played a unique position, he was called a SS but player more a hybrid LB type in a 3/4 scheme. Those types of guys frequently get over looked till they become eligible for the historical vote.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:15 pm
  • Love Kam but he's not sniffing the HOF
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:37 pm
  • He’ll get votes, but he will never make it.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:22 am
  • As has been typed, stats driven so probably not. But if he took up a coaching mantle and became a great coach, he has a better chance.....if he does not hold out. :twisted:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:10 am
  • Doubtful.

He did become a prototype for a new kind of safety though, which is pretty cool. Some would argue Sean Taylor did that, but I think teams just saw him as a freak and an exception. When Kam took off, teams were like "we need a Kam Chancellor!".
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:26 am
  • Rat wrote:Doubtful.

He did become a prototype for a new kind of safety though, which is pretty cool. Some would argue Sean Taylor did that, but I think teams just saw him as a freak and an exception. When Kam took off, teams were like "we need a Kam Chancellor!".

Definitely in the Taylor mold, but Taylor only weighed 210 lbs, Kam weighs over 230 lbs................and dropped down into the box to attack the run game and punch fools in the mouth running over the middle far more than Taylor ever did.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 am
  • The Hall of Fame is weird.

Kind of like the Heisman in lots of people get the honor that were nowhere near generational players.

Being above average to very good for a long time will get you in over someone that was exceptional and gamechanging for a shorter time. Some of the guys in the hall were not close to the best players in their decade. Kam was. Compare him at his peak years to anyone else that played 5 years before or after him. He was easily as good if not better.

A SS that can take out a starting OL and then make the tackle is a world beater.

Whether he makes the hall is immaterial, he is one of the best that ever played and that was from the mouth of Lott himself.

At the time of our defensive dominance he was recognized as one of the key factors that made our defense so dominant.

I think other players realize this, even if the statmongers will never let him in.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Rat wrote:Doubtful.

Definitely in the Taylor mold, but Taylor only weighed 210 lbs, Kam weighs over 230 lbs................and dropped down into the box to attack the run game and punch fools in the mouth running over the middle far more than Taylor ever did.

Interesting. I remember Taylor being an enormous freak of nature that could cover Pro-Bowl receivers and lay the lumber in the run game, but that might just be the nostalgia. I guess he wasn't as large as I thought.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:39 pm
  • I love Kam, but unless the voters have a complete hatred of the other guys that are on the ballot and Kam is somehow on it, and they have to vote some guys in, I feel Kam will get media/writer love.

Statiscally, it's very difficult for Kam to get on. Kam wasn't used the way to rack up the statsheet, he just racks up bodies!!
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm
  • The "he knocked people out" will keep him out of the hall. In 20 years that will be seen as a negative when the NFL is a flag football league.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:02 am
  • i know it's not the same position, but kam sort of reminds me of lofa; great pattern recognition, sacrificed his body for the team; but kam were probably more physically talented. because of the physical sacrifices they both made, their careers were cut short. it could be that only other players, and in-depth seahawks fans can truly appreciate either player.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:54 am
  • Agreed with what seems to be the consensus here.

Why he won't:

*Hard for safeties to get in.
    *Doesn't have the stats.
    *Didn't play long enough

I'd also add:

*Even at his peak he was third fiddle in his position group to two other likely HoFs, which hurts his candidacy.
    * While the defense was maybe good enough for long enough, the Seahawks weren't good enough for long enough for him to slide in based on overall team success (a la all the Steelers who are in the HoF but shouldn't be b/c their team won four Super Bowls in six years).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 am
  • Rat wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Rat wrote:Doubtful.

Interesting. I remember Taylor being an enormous freak of nature that could cover Pro-Bowl receivers and lay the lumber in the run game, but that might just be the nostalgia. I guess he wasn't as large as I thought.

Oh Taylor still hit like a freight train, that's why he was so respected by other players.

But IMO Taylor was more in the Ed Reed mold, and Kam was a more unique LB/FS hybrid freak of nature that ran a 4.6.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:27 am
  • This is intended as a compliment, not as a criticism:

I don’t think it gets him into the Hall, but he also benefited from being in the right place at the right time.

There were a lot of hard hitting box thumpers at strong safety, but they mostly all went away because of the transition to a pass-centric league, as those box thumpers ended up positionless unless they were on one of the few teams running single high scheme. That made Kam seem like even more of a unicorn. His career also wound down and ended right as the NFL is really cracking down on the hard hitting plays he thrived on.

He played in a nice little window for a player of his caliber to get a lot of deserved shine and respect.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:20 am
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:
    Seahawk_Dan wrote:
    Aros wrote:

Were you around when Joe Namath played?

You caught me. I'm only 30, so no I wasn't. I understand though what he represented as one of the NFL's first real super stars, but what gets me is just how fickle and inconsistent the HoF is or at least what seems to be.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:This is intended as a compliment, not as a criticism:

I don’t think it gets him into the Hall, but he also benefited from being in the right place at the right time.

There were a lot of hard hitting box thumpers at strong safety, but they mostly all went away because of the transition to a pass-centric league, as those box thumpers ended up positionless unless they were on one of the few teams running single high scheme. That made Kam seem like even more of a unicorn. His career also wound down and ended right as the NFL is really cracking down on the hard hitting plays he thrived on.

He played in a nice little window for a player of his caliber to get a lot of deserved shine and respect.

I Agree with what you stated. With what the game is going to now as a punt pass and kick contest, it will be up to the fans as to whether it is worth watching it any more. Heck, flag football may be the next stage.

Popeye...great post.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:33 pm
  • Kam won't get in, and he shouldnt....no way.
    He was awesome when he was at the top of his game, and 100% healthy. But those moments weren't consistantly there from a HOF standpoint . The hold out ruined 1 season of his prime. He was hurt for the big game vs Patriots. And has played through a lot of stuff that's hindered his top self.
    But the 3 playoff games the year we won the Super Bowl?....never saw a safety play as well as he did. Just awesome, and very memorable.

I've been a rabid Seattle fan since Zorn days, so I got to live through the Easley years when football meant more to me( 9-18 years old). Easley was a way better safety than Kam. And he would've been a way better FS than Thomas(Easley's natural position) I'mThe only thing close about them is that I really like them both a lot. But Easley was one of those one of a kind type players. And he just barely made the Hall, as others have stated.
    Hotchy
    NET Practice Squad

It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information