Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Cliff Avril believes attitude is holding Germain Ifedi back

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • “Most players nowadays, they have this attitude of feeling like everything should be given to ’em. That’s what his approach has been the past few years and I think that’s why he hasn’t taken that next step.”

https://www.king5.com/mobile/article/sp ... -573403827
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Kinda disappointing to read.

Ifedi already has quite a few technique issues to work on..............I'd rather not be reading about him also having mental and attitude deficiencies as well.

Hopefully Fant is fully healthy and challenges for the RT spot, cause NO ONE is comfortable with Ifedi there again.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Kinda disappointing to read.

Ifedi already has quite a few technique issues to work on..............I'd rather not be reading about him also having mental and attitude deficiencies as well.

Hopefully Fant is fully healthy and challenges for the RT spot, cause NO ONE is comfortable with Ifedi there again.

Disappointing indeed. But if the new coaching staff can change his attitude, then maybe his technique will improve quicker also. Fantastic pushing him will help as well.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: Adopt a Rookie 2018

Living below sealevel: The only way is up!
    Zeearend
    NET Practice Squad

• Wow from the article this sounds bad. I'm especially worried that Avril thinks it's going to take a whole year for the young guys to adjust to the new system. The last thing I want to see is another year of run blocking ineptitude.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:Wow from the article this sounds bad. I'm especially worried that Avril thinks it's going to take a whole year for the young guys to adjust to the new system. The last thing I want to see is another year of run blocking ineptitude.

Solari's system is one of the more basic straight forward downhill attacking style of blocking, but yeah unfortunately Cliff's right...........it can take a while for a new blocking system to be implemented and learned.

Doesn't help that we also have a new coordinator, which compounds the learning curve.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• adeltaY wrote:Wow from the article this sounds bad. I'm especially worried that Avril thinks it's going to take a whole year for the young guys to adjust to the new system. The last thing I want to see is another year of run blocking ineptitude.

Cant just expect the line to pick up everything in camp and pre season. New coach new scheme new players. A year is probably a good estimate
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Wow from the article this sounds bad. I'm especially worried that Avril thinks it's going to take a whole year for the young guys to adjust to the new system. The last thing I want to see is another year of run blocking ineptitude.

Cant just expect the line to pick up everything in camp and pre season. New coach new scheme new players. A year is probably a good estimate

Very true. But it won't stop the "fire solari" posts after week 2.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• I'm looking for a jump after the bye week, thinking .500 at the half way point is a "win", with a real chance to start kicking ass to end the year.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• I have been calling Ifedi as our problem child for a long time. According to Avril, he attitude problem was entitlement, ie false or unearned sense of security. Cable was a players’ coach and he hand picked Ifedi, Cable might be too soft on him.

Hopefully one of our backups give Ifedi a real push for his job, light a fire under his Butt. He does have all the measurements to be a NFL lineman, but lacking in complete skill set nor the attitude to acquire those skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Trrrroy wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Wow from the article this sounds bad. I'm especially worried that Avril thinks it's going to take a whole year for the young guys to adjust to the new system. The last thing I want to see is another year of run blocking ineptitude.

Cmon man....Week 1. :stirthepot:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Trrrroy wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:

Solaris has been around for a long time, with a large body of work. On one hand, he is a legit NFL OL coach, on the other hand, he ain’t no OL whisperer.

One of the two mysteries this off season was Pete basically left the OL unchanged except coaching. Did Solaris have Pete assurance that we got enough talent?

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:

Sean McVay laughs at that.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:One of the two mysteries this off season was Pete basically left the OL unchanged except coaching. Did Solaris have Pete assurance that we got enough talent?

They changed their G's. Brought in a new RG and moved last years RG to LG. Thats 40% change.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• He didn't seem to have a high opinion of Pocic either. No specifics though.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Well the Whale Dance on the ground took them a long time to learn also.

The scheme at least is simpler and is more in line with their body types and strengths versus trying to get Ballerina type moves from a Weight lifter.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• The eye test for Ifedi and Pocic is downright horrifying. I know Cable was the worst, but I'm not sure these two guys can make it regardless of who's coaching them. Man, I hated the Pocic pick. Guess we'll have to wait and see how they do this year to see if it actually was Cable or a true lack of talent.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:

That's a really good point. Besides Whitworth, their other OL players aren't amazing, but they worked very well together as a team and made the jump from atrocious in 2016 to damn good in 2017. A 33 year-old Duane Brown should be as good as a 36 year-old Whitworth so the talent level shouldn't be far off. I suppose if the Rams were able to do a 180 on the line, there is some precedent and hope for our line ... pretty please
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

I guess I read it as one and the same which in a way is positive

He has technique issues because of his entitlement and lack of working hard at his craft.

That is IMHO better than he is giving it everything and not improving. It means if you can change his attitude then. Improvements in performance can and should happen....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:

Is Sean McVay thay good, or was Jeff Fisher just that bad?
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• Well our line was Fisher era bad, probably worse. It won't take much improvement to seem like the OL got way better.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• To be honest, if he hasn't been humbled by now, he probably will never improve his play (I hope I'm wrong). If he doesn't, it will be the coaching staffs fault (in his mind) and he will play the victim.

He needs to buck up and become disciplined. Frustrating that he has the size and strength yet lacks the mental. He was born with physical gifts, yet his mental status doesn't seem to be there.

Get to work!
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• I'm willing to put all my chips on the table that Cable wasn't getting the most out of him. He's quite the unlikable guy and has a history proving why.
    Besides going from one of the most difficult schemes to learn, to one of the most basic-and not knowing anything about Solari, I believe a different personality taking the reins will naturally bring a change in the whole lines attitudes.
    I'm optimistic that a Fisher--> McVay change can be attained on the line through a Cable--> Solari change.
    Same with a Richard--> Norton change.
    The Breh
    NET Rookie

• The Breh wrote:I'm willing to put all my chips on the table that Cable wasn't getting the most out of him. He's quite the unlikable guy and has a history proving why.
    Besides going from one of the most difficult schemes to learn, to one of the most basic-and not knowing anything about Solari, I believe a different personality taking the reins will naturally bring a change in the whole lines attitudes.
    I'm optimistic that a Fisher--> McVay change can be attained on the line through a Cable--> Solari change.

There are some really good points here which I am not sure comes through

Let’s say Avril is right - Ifedi was not working hard. Avril thinks it is because of entitlement.

Maybe it is because

1) Personality clash with prior coach
    2) A scheme that Ifedi dislikes, isn’t suited for AND doesn’t BELIEVE in (you know kind of like a few hundred thousand fans)

Getting on the same page and into something that players think will work may bring huge improvements
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    The Breh wrote:I'm willing to put all my chips on the table that Cable wasn't getting the most out of him. He's quite the unlikable guy and has a history proving why.

There are some really good points here which I am not sure comes through

Let’s say Avril is right - Ifedi was not working hard. Avril thinks it is because of entitlement.

Maybe it is because

1) Personality clash with prior coach
    2) A scheme that Ifedi dislikes, isn’t suited for AND doesn’t BELIEVE in (you know kind of like a few hundred thousand fans)

Getting on the same page and into something that players think will work may bring huge improvements

Ifedi quite liked Cable, upon Cable's dismissal, Ifedi was the one that wrote an appreciation post. On the other hand, Brown has been praising Solari, Ifedi hasn't posted anything about his new coach. Of course one can interpret that as Solari's putting the works on Ifedi and being a spoiled entitlement kid, he is not liking it.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Fire Solari!

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Fire Solari!

:bow: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• With Solari being more old school once the pads are on peer pressure and drilling Ifedi hard will fix him or break him and he won't be on the field. At least that's my hope.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• There was no incentive to get better.

Making a mistake didn't make you stand out. Everyone around you made mistakes.

And the narrative was always how bad the OL was. Everyone accepted it, so I am sure eventually so did the guys on the OL - whether intentionally or otherwise.

We had low expectations of the OL. They delivered on those low expectations.

We didn't reward guys that got better. We let them go.

And we surrounded each lineman with the guys that made mistakes or didn't know what they were doing. Hard to care much in that environment, even for someone WITH a worth ethic - that would sand you down quickly.

It is actually a pretty normal/common compensation method to stop caring and take the path of least resistance when placed in an environment where expectations are low and production isn't really rewarded.

The message we sent was: We will take what we can get from you. But we won't expect much of you.

It doesn't mean Ifedi can't care. But there hasn't been much reason to for a while. He might even turn out good somewhere else but that is a lot of bad habits to unlearn and patterns that have to be broken.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:The eye test for Ifedi and Pocic is downright horrifying. I know Cable was the worst, but I'm not sure these two guys can make it regardless of who's coaching them. Man, I hated the Pocic pick. Guess we'll have to wait and see how they do this year to see if it actually was Cable or a true lack of talent.

Care to share your eye test result on Ifedi and Pocic?

toffee
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:There was no incentive to get better.

Making a mistake didn't make you stand out. Everyone around you made mistakes.

And the narrative was always how bad the OL was. Everyone accepted it, so I am sure eventually so did the guys on the OL - whether intentionally or otherwise.

We had low expectations of the OL. They delivered on those low expectations.

We didn't reward guys that got better. We let them go.

And we surrounded each lineman with the guys that made mistakes or didn't know what they were doing. Hard to care much in that environment, even for someone WITH a worth ethic - that would sand you down quickly.

It is actually a pretty normal/common compensation method to stop caring and take the path of least resistance when placed in an environment where expectations are low and production isn't really rewarded.

The message we sent was: We will take what we can get from you. But we won't expect much of you.

It doesn't mean Ifedi can't care. But there hasn't been much reason to for a while. He might even turn out good somewhere else but that is a lot of bad habits to unlearn and patterns that have to be broken.

This seems pretty spot on to me. It is also why I think it will take a season for Solari to get things right with this O-Line as it is, or get guys in who can play the positions. My guess is you will see one or two potential starters lose their jobs by the end of this season if they can't turn it around, or don't give a damn.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• I would much rather hear that he lacks technique but is eager to learn and work over what Cliff said...every day of the week. At his age, attitude will be the hardest thing to change.
    Seahawks-Blazers-Mariners-Ducks
    cheese22
    NET Rookie

• toffee wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:The eye test for Ifedi and Pocic is downright horrifying. I know Cable was the worst, but I'm not sure these two guys can make it regardless of who's coaching them. Man, I hated the Pocic pick. Guess we'll have to wait and see how they do this year to see if it actually was Cable or a true lack of talent.

Care to share your eye test result on Ifedi and Pocic?

What do you want, video of how bad they were? Did you not watch any games last year?
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Here's a thread that was just started ranking last years OL. You should be familiar with it since your the one that posted it.

30. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
    PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:
    Left Tackle: Duane Brown, 77.9 overall grade
    Left Guard: Ethan Pocic, 35.7
    Center: Justin Britt, 66.9
    Right Guard: D.J. Fluker, 42.3
    Right Tackle: Germain Ifedi, 48.6

We were ranked 28th after ‘17, main problem seems to be Pocic. Ifedi rated 48.6, no good but hardly the worst.

PPF somehow opined that our OL shall be worse this year.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• ^ this is probably the worst OL preseason ranking for a unit returning 4 starters that I've ever seen.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

And perhaps Avril was not shooting straight when he talked of Ifedi possibly becoming a "beast" on the O-line....
    Vesuve
    NET Rookie

• The Breh wrote:I'm willing to put all my chips on the table that Cable wasn't getting the most out of him. He's quite the unlikable guy and has a history proving why.

https://youtu.be/IfmZSkjUadI ("Driving with Gee")

You should watch this. He has a decent personality, sounds like he's immature.
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

• It is a generational thing. I see it at my workplace. Someone (fellow players) needs to pull him aside and set him straight. The sad thing is that this hasn't already been done. Kids these days start a job and act like they have 30 yrs in.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• WmHBonney wrote:It is a generational thing. I see it at my workplace. Someone (fellow players) needs to pull him aside and set him straight. The sad thing is that this hasn't already been done. Kids these days start a job and act like they have 30 yrs in.

Maybe they are possessed by, among other things, entitlement to personal devices. I've encountered them.They are everywhere parroting what ever comes over their personal devices. I was encouraged by the revelation that the Seahawks shuffled their mix of drafting and acquisition criterion this year. Looking forward to enjoying better results with personnel additions that listen, think and work well with other humans.

I treasure the young ones that have been brought up to think and work. God bless their parents and mentors. We all profit from their work.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• need fant to go ham and push for his spot might wake ifedi up although i think mike will have him better this year
    “Well, they’re going to have to stop all of us. You feel me. I’m a piece to it, but we’ve got some dogs.”
    Str8OuttaSkittles
    NET Starter

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information