OT George Fant conditioning with focus mitts

hawknation2018

Reaction score
LXEsUGP.gif

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I have a tremendous amount of faith in this guy. Don't know why, but I do, and don't care if anyone has a problem with it, lol. I think we are seeing the new starting right tackle for the Seahawks. He doesn't have an attitude problem, and wants to learn.

sutz

Reaction score
He was actually approaching being acceptable good before the injury. There's a lot of hand work involved with line play, so that looks like it could be productive.

Yeah, I agree, he's not going anywhere.

sutz

Reaction score
toffee":3gww02in said:
Skinny calf?
Note the knee brace. Takes time to build the muscles back after the knee surgery. Hopefully, this is from a few months ago and he has been working on that.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm also looking forward to Fant's return from that unfortunate 2017 preseason accident. By all accounts he continues to put in the work. The plan of getting him some time on the right side expands the information they will gather on what he can do.

I always enjoy a good comeback story.

P.S. Willie Beavers was the offensive lineman that filled in during OTAs at right guard and tackle for those who were held out because of injury/health concerns. Although no pads or contact were involved, Carroll noted that, so far, the coaches were comfortable with Beavers. Nice to have some depth on the right side to accommodate come what may.

toffee

Reaction score
sutz":1lbkh482 said:
toffee":1lbkh482 said:
Skinny calf?
Note the knee brace. Takes time to build the muscles back after the knee surgery. Hopefully, this is from a few months ago and he has been working on that.

Sure hope so, we needed him! As seen on the video, he was top heavy with skinny legs.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Huge guy, skinny legs, I'll never understand this, don 't they have "leg days" in the lifting room anymore? I notice this a lot with the speed guys, WR's & DB's, many have pencils for legs. I'd guess that curls are a lot more popular than leg lifts in most NFL locker rooms. I've always thought that strength needs a good foundation + a lot of total strength is provided from your legs in almost any sport. In the video above, it looks like the guy he's batting with that is half his size has very similar, if not bigger lower legs.

:smilingalien:

toffee

Reaction score
Fant does have decent sized glutes, that's where most of the pushing and lifting power came from? Skinny lower legs is quite out of proportion though.

[instagram]BlTcTTZBOA_[/instagram]
And really needed to press more weight, he ain't doing that much more than me, a 160lbs 60+yo fart.
[instagram]BcS8m04hyDh[/instagram]

adeltaY

Reaction score
Calf muscle size has a greater genetic component than many other muscle types. Tall guys like Fant often have shorter calf muscle bellies with longer tendons that makes it difficult to add much size - there simply isn't enough space. I think quad and hamstring size is a better indicator of lower leg musculature. It's difficult to tell from that picture, but I think his seem pretty thick.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My God he looks like Andre the Giant compared to that dude.

Pulling for him...Seems like he has the drive and determination Ifedi doesn't.

#TeamFant

Smellyman

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":krnsjcq1 said:
Huge guy, skinny legs, I'll never understand this, don 't they have "leg days" in the lifting room anymore? I notice this a lot with the speed guys, WR's & DB's, many have pencils for legs. I'd guess that curls are a lot more popular than leg lifts in most NFL locker rooms. I've always thought that strength needs a good foundation + a lot of total strength is provided from your legs in almost any sport. In the video above, it looks like the guy he's batting with that is half his size has very similar, if not bigger lower legs.

I will never understand internet posters thinking they have better training insight than an NFL team

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Smellyman":g9mn7upc said:
CamanoIslandJQ":g9mn7upc said:

I will never understand internet posters thinking they have better training insight than an NFL team

Oh yeah, they are much better coaches as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seems many of us noticed the Cable and Bevell shortcomings long before they were fired and were looked upon as negative Nancy's and doomers, we may not all have detailed knowledge but when something isn't right many on this board can see it pretty quickly.

But I guess those sitting in the cozy seats and not in the Nest would rather sip on Kool Aide then watch the game anyway.

Chapow

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1qp1vs28 said:
Huge guy, skinny legs, I'll never understand this, don 't they have "leg days" in the lifting room anymore?

You realize he is coming off a very serious knee injury and subsequent surgery right? I mean, I don't know for sure, but that might have something to do with his legs appearing to be "skinny".

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Coming off a major surgery, the lack of strength in his lower body is evident. He is also behind in terms of technique. This is why I find it doubtful that Fant will provide serious competition this year at RT, a position and side of the line he hasn’t really played.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":16b8itmf said:

I don't need to be able to play the piano to know that the homeless guy up on stage pounding the keys is terrible at it. :roll:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":2x480osl said:

There are valid criticisms of S&C coaches, even at this level, especially when they deal with elite athletes who will grow from walking up stairs eating bags of chips. But like others have said, he has had an injury that has probably kept him from squatting and pulling weight.

But I will point out that when people look at calves and assume dudes have "skinny legs" (weak), they don't know much about strength training and development. Calf size isn't necessarily really good indicator of anything.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":32dflqbo said:
Jimjones0384":32dflqbo said:

I don't need to be able to play the piano to know that the homeless guy up on stage pounding the keys is terrible at it. :roll:

True.

But what's really happening here is that you're just a novice pianist pretending you have the ability to discern the mistakes in technique of performers with masters degrees, behind a life-time of experience in the instrument, and playing a genre you're hardly familiar with.

From an athletic standpoint, Fant could end up being quite good, once he heals up. It's possible that Solari teach him, could make him a solid contributor.