Don’t forget about Nazair Jones

Jville

Reaction score
I think someone might have posted this video a number of months ago. But, I can't find it. Dead air is an ideal time to revisit the rookie year of Nazair Jones [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/7/15/17573988/dont-forget-about-nazair-jones-seattle-seahawks-defensive-line[/urltargetblank]

[youtube]3I0TB5IRQiU[/youtube]

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Good looking 3T. Explodes off the ball, good leverage, active hands, plus pass rusher. I’m excited to see the improvement he makes in his second year. Question for him was improving strength so he can hold up on first and second downs. Jones and Reed inside could provide a promising, young core for this defense.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I loved the motor and potential I saw from Naz last year. If Pete decides to experiment with a Red Bryant type at 5T, I think Naz has a unique height-weight-explosiveness combo that could be effective there.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
It is ten days to the opening of Training Camp. These "second tier" players better be ready to work their butt off …….
or we all know what might happen.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I liked him better than Richardson even as a rook that didn't finish the season. Better run defender by a long shot and also got home on the QB more.

Depth is better this year at DT as well so we should be good. We have 4 guys who have started in the NFL and the backups are pretty good from a damn good DL last year.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Frankly I think the team swung and missed with Sheldon Richardson who to me was very overrated.

adeltaY

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1rt2tpci said:
I liked him better than Richardson even as a rook that didn't finish the season. Better run defender by a long shot and also got home on the QB more.

Depth is better this year at DT as well so we should be good. We have 4 guys who have started in the NFL and the backups are pretty good from a damn good DL last year.

Do you think Richardson will have a better season with the Vikings?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
adeltaY":2cpki87c said:
vin.couve12":2cpki87c said:

Do you think Richardson will have a better season with the Vikings?
Nah. Richardson has had a lot of talent around him on every DL he's been on since he entered the league. He started off hot, but has cooled off over the last two years. He's often a liability at the POA even if just due to effort, isn't exceptionally quick and lacks a speedy secondary move, and hand usage goes with his mood swings. He'll be 28 this season and while his strength is likely on the upswing, his quickness is trending down, especially at 295. Nothing can fix an attitude of effort or lack there of, however. He likes the higher contracts now so he's likely going to be a DT merc from here on out where he'll show up at times and disappear others.

There's literally nothing there that warrants a big, long term contract. A few sacks a season, if that, and some tackles in games he wants to play.

Tical21

Reaction score
I kind of hope someone else emerges as a space eater, so Naz can play primarily on 2nd and 3rd downs. He can play on first down, but I love his secondary pass rush ability and would hate to tire him out every game so he wasn't able to bring that in the 4th quarter.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Tical21":uad4t1ya said:
I kind of hope someone else emerges as a space eater, so Naz can play primarily on 2nd and 3rd downs. He can play on first down, but I love his secondary pass rush ability and would hate to tire him out every game so he wasn't able to bring that in the 4th quarter.

Was not that what we had back in 12, 13, and 14? We had a rotation that had learned what was necessary for us to compete and there were not too many weaknesses that could not be Next man Up???

Mojambo

Reaction score
If there is one player on the team, aside from Russell, that I wish heath upon, it's Naz Jones.

I think he's a star in the making.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Obscure observation: Naz is down 12 pounds from 304 to 292. Raw strength has never been an issue for him, with the exception of when he was most effected. He's said to be country strong for quite some time before we drafted him. His dropping 12 pounds should net a lot of overall good play, pending his pad level is right. Leverage is still layer 1.