Why wasn't Paul Richardson retained?

Hawker8989

Reaction score
5 years and 40 million with Washington. That's only 8 million per season. Only 26 years old. I thought he was a real good player. Does the front office see something else?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Good player, not great player. Injury history, one year wonder. Even saying one year wonder is kind of a lot of credit, it was about expected output for a wr 2-3 depending on the team/scheme. You hope players step up into that, IE Lockett in this case.

Paying almost double digits to non-elite players that also subsequently block a development spot for years is a quick way to kill cap and competition (depending on guarantees). We’ve made a number of these mistakes over the past few years.

Richardson was fine, good for him he got 8m.

adeltaY

Reaction score
8M per year actually isn't that much for a guy entering his prime. Drops were a problem with him last year, but he countered that with some ridiculous jump ball contested catches. I think we might regret losing Paul, but the thinking behind the decision to let him walk wasn't bad.

Smellyman

Reaction score
When he pulls his hammy in preseason the question will be answered.

Seafan

Reaction score
Smellyman":16xdzlge said:
When he pulls his hammy in preseason the question will be answered.

You can't pay big money to everyone on the roster. He's a bit frail to be giving that kind of money to IMO. Love his attitude but the Hawks really need to find some big tough receivers who can block and stay on the field. If it's important to regain a physical image then signing Richardson wasn't the way to go.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawker8989":24jdf4si said:
5 years and 40 million with Washington. That's only 8 million per season. Only 26 years old. I thought he was a real good player. Does the front office see something else?

I think he is a household name by end of the season. Loved his game from the first time I saw him play. Feel free to quote me later if I am wrong

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Bigger fish to fry in a reprioritization of the roster. Quite good at a specific skillset, but lacking in others. That kind of contract requires a good bet on ROI for the foreseeable future AND at a more versatile skillset. In summary, he wasn't worth the price that probably a few teams would pay.

peppersjap

Reaction score
This fan base is seriously way to loyal and follow there hearts. No way Richardson is an $8 million a year guy and I'm still glad they let Kearse go. I'm OK when people question a high quality receiver like Golden Tate being let go but I understood. Can we remember how many people flipped out after Chris Matthews was let go? The guy had 1 good game in his career!

seabowl

Reaction score
mikeak":23xa8ohr said:
Hawker8989":23xa8ohr said:

I think he is a household name by end of the season. Loved his game from the first time I saw him play. Feel free to quote me later if I am wrong

Name one receiver that became s household name with Alex Smith throwing to him?

adeltaY

Reaction score
seabowl":2aknrw2i said:
mikeak":2aknrw2i said:
Hawker8989":2aknrw2i said:

Name one receiver that became s household name with Alex Smith throwing to him?

People know Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. It wouldn't surprise me if they are better known by the average fan than Doug Baldwin, as crazy as that sounds (though Kelce is a top 3 TE).

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He cost more than he was worth, and he had troubles staying off of the IR lists. The guy couldn't stay healthy, plain and simple. Not worth shelling that much money out for a guy that never is on the field. His body of work is also extremely small.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
He's a guy who in four years had one year of decent WR2 production, and benefited from a greatly overheated WR market this off season.

IMO the Hawks have bungled no shortage of decisions in the last four years, but this isn't one of them.

Jville

Reaction score
Hawker8989":18qk1jr4 said:

The short answer is yes.

Golden Tate departed for a big contract with Detroit. That conserved future cap room for Doug Baldwin. Now Washington has outbid Seattle for the services of Paul Richardson. That conserves future cap room for Tyler Lockett. I'll sincerely miss Paul's flying closures to the ball. But like Doug Baldwin, Tyler has a lot of highly valued intangibles in addition to what we see on game day. There is only so much cap room. Intangibles, team fit and chemistry collectively determine who is retained with a second contract and who cashes in elsewhere.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Man, everyone is pretty much nailing it in this thread!
Show us all the video of PRich pancaking opposing DBs on running plays and I, for one, will gladly reconsider.

PRich may indeed light it up with Washington, and I wish him well there.
He wasn't going to get it done here for what the team needs for that amount of money.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I loved P Rich, but he's not nearly worth that contract. And, had they signed him to that same deal, a bunch of people would be laying in to the front office. More than normal that is.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The focus in this off-season was to improve the running game.

Paul didn't figure into that movement one iota.

He wasn't/isn't worth $8M/yr to the Hawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawker8989":3i6lg96k said:
Does the front office see something else?

Yes, they saw a slight often dinged up inconsistent WR that wasn't worth paying 8M a year for 5 years.

Richardson flashed at times, but IMO nowhere near the consistency to warrant this kind of deal, especially when we're trying to get our cap right.

chris98251

Reaction score
The run game needed Kearse more then Richardson, Baldwin is a decent blocker and willing, Kearse was also, Richardson and Lockett not big or physical enough. Why those types are let go, also Richardson was more a Outside guy. We have those in the wings.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
peppersjap":cqzby4rq said:
This fan base is seriously way to loyal and follow there hearts. No way Richardson is an $8 million a year guy and I'm still glad they let Kearse go. I'm OK when people question a high quality receiver like Golden Tate being let go but I understood.

You've whittled away almost the entirety of Wilson's successful arsenal with this post. I'm wondering where you draw the line.