Good writeup from HawkBlogger

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Keenan Reynolds looks legit
Former college quarterback Keenan Reynolds was easily the standout player of this practice. With Doug Baldwin out for undisclosed reasons, Reynolds took full advantage of the opportunity to get extra snaps in the slot. He played at a different speed than most of the other players on the field, catching several passes. Most notably, Reynolds was getting significant separation on his routes. There are some definite deja vu moments watching Reynolds that remind me of the first few times I saw Baldwin play. I’m surprised he has already been signed and released by two other teams after entering the NFL in 2016. Perhaps, he will fade when the games start. All I know right now is that he looks like someone who could contribute right away.

More notes:
http://www.hawkblogger.com/2018/07/seah ... -29th.html

mistaowen

Reaction score
WR is one area I'm excited to watch during preseason. Really only have Baldwin as a definite at this point, I like Lockett's potential but it remains to be seen if he's fully recovered. Jaron Brown appears to be Richardson's replacement, had flashes but poor QB play limited him. Does Brandon Marshall have anything left in the tank? 1500 yard season with the Jets in 2015. He's always been good at boxing out in the end zone, Sherm had trouble covering him in past years, could be a replacement for a few Jimmy TD's if him and Russ get some rapport. Lots of young guys fighting for spots like the ones mentioned in this article. Hoping one or two new guys emerge.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
So Keenan Reynolds will be the cut everyone loses their mind over. Good to know.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":35zlu34t said:
So Keenan Reynolds will be the cut everyone loses their mind over. Good to know.

WHY YOU CUT KASEN

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I can’t remember. Were Seahawks fans as skeptical about Doug Baldwin being good in 2011? Or has Seahawks fandom just become that aggressively pessimistic?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":b4rukbb6 said:
I can’t remember. Were Seahawks fans as skeptical about Doug Baldwin being good in 2011? Or has Seahawks fandom just become that aggressively pessimistic?
We have WAY more than our fair share of "Aggressively Pessimistics" here....You know, they're the ones who tell everyone to take off their rose colored glasses when they point out, say, or defend any of the positives. :251864:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2i3o485o said:

I'm skeptical of any player who hasn't done well for at least a couple years. I'm not unhappy with them, but I'm not going to get super excited about a camp or preseason breakout until they play well for awhile in real games.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with the glass completely empty mentality when we see/hear players perform well in TC and Preseason.

But for every Kasen Williams, we'll see a RussWilson or Bobby Wagner. Both were lights out in TC and preseason. It got so heated, we saw Matt Flynn fans butt heads with RW fans. I remember it was heated.

The same could be said about Wags. He played so well, the team cut a vet, can't remember his name. Competition was over before the end of the preseason.

So who knows. We're hearing good things about a hand full of young players so maybe one or more will emerge.

Jville

Reaction score
Kasen Williams expectations were so over blown. For many fans, a unique once in a live time example of over hyped expectations.

Expectations for Keenan Reynolds are more typical. A more typical wait and see if he is a contender for a roster spot in 2018 or if he needs a year to develop and merge into the active roster.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Jville":1evnfhqk said:
Kasen Williams expectations were so over blown. For many fans, a unique once in a live time example of over hyped expectations.

Expectations for Keenan Reynolds are more typical. A more typical wait and see if he is a contender for a roster spot in 2018 or if he needs a year to develop and merge into the active roster.

This may be true, Jville. Right now, the expectations are hopeful optimism based on a few practice reports.

But just wait for a couple preseason games where Reynolds jumps off the screen making some splash plays, and we'll have some Hawk fans thinking the reincarnation of Largent has arrived. If we don't keep him or put him on the PS, the whole season will be lost (in the minds of some...).

truehawksfan

Reaction score
So, Kasen Williams made splash plays in preseason games too. But, he lined up against players who didn't make the final roster.

That said, with Doug Baldwin injuried and not scheduled to play any preseason games, we should see Moore, Darboh, Reynolds, etc., start games in 3 wide sets against players who will either start or are 2nd team guys.

This is what Shaq Griffin and Naz Jones did last year.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3vf7yh8y said:

I think that its more that many of us have heard the hype about players in training camp and have seen them do diddly squat in either pre-season or real games. Heck, I remember Shaun Alexander taking up Taco Wallace. Yes, back in the early 2000s we had a player named "Taco" Wallace (we also had a Pork Chop!). I grew tired of getting all hyped about these training camp wonders who never did anything when it counts. So, yeah, I'll reserve my excitement for when I see guys like Keenan Reynolds actually do something in the regular season.

Jville

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2w5rsckn said:
Jville":2w5rsckn said:

This may be true, Jville. Right now, the expectations are hopeful optimism based on a few practice reports.

But just wait for a couple preseason games where Reynolds jumps off the screen making some splash plays, and we'll have some Hawk fans thinking the reincarnation of Largent has arrived. If we don't keep him or put him on the PS, the whole season will be lost (in the minds of some...).

True. Although, nine minus one still leaves eight practice squad eligible candidates to chose from. We witness the emotionally overwhelmed seize up in thought processes including the ability to add and subtract every day. Even though, crying over what is not understood explains nothing and comforts no one. It only identifies who doesn't adequately follow along with the annual team building process. Noise is everywhere. It just requires a working filter.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I was a bit surprised they waived Kasen Williams, but I wasn’t outraged. They basically went with their 3rd round investment in Darboh over a guy with less team control who has bounced around for a while. Neither Williams nor Darboh have the athleticism and unique characteristics that some of these other WRs possess this year. It’s just a deeper group this year with more guys breaking out. It’s cool to follow the successes in training camp and preseason, as long as you don’t fear the disappointment of losing most of these players. Because it’s such a deep group, you can’t really get “upset” about any of them being cut. There are only so many roster spots.

The outrage over Kasen Williams is pretty funny in hindsight. Even Richard Sherman was upset, lol.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/tromano/status/904109262758068224[/tweet]

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Jville":3jkjmsfm said:
True. Although, nine minus one still leaves eight practice squad eligible candidates to chose from. We witness the emotionally overwhelmed seize up in thought processes including the ability to add and subtract every day. Even though, crying over what is not understood explains nothing and comforts no one. It only identifies who doesn't adequately follow along with the annual team building process. Noise is everywhere. It just requires a working filter.

Very few people are encouraged to have a filter, let alone a working one these days, either to sift through the noise, or to keep from spewing more of it.

Letting the preseason play out, letting the coaches who see every practice evaluate every aspect of player involvement/contribution, locker-room chemistry, and buy-in, and keep stats on every single drill, and letting the chips fall seems a much more respectable way for fans to evaluate and the final 53.

I'm not suggesting the coaches always make the right decisions, but they make them with more information. If Reynolds is kept, it will be for good reason. If not, it's because he doesn't fit in some way (maybe he duplicates DB). And it doesn't mean he won't be good somewhere else. I'd love to have a larger practice squad as a farm team. But that's not reality right now.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin was an exception. Most fans understand that for every such example, there are plenty more Kris Durhams, Chris Carters, Kevin Norwoods, Chris Matthews, and Kasen Williams that make a few splash plays in special circumstances but don't cut the mustard on special teams, don't do squat on the plays they take off, and generally don't outperform the cumulative work of steady performers.

The Keenan expectations are unwarranted. If he makes the roster, it will still have been unwarranted, and all HB and his flock will legitimately be able to claim is having made a lucky guess.