Tom Johnson vs Sheldon Richardson

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Richardson:
654 snaps, 1 sack, 7 QB hits, 28 pressures

Johnson:
673 snaps, 2 sacks, 10 QB hits, 23 pressures.

Tally the difference between contracts and the Hawks clearly get the better end of the deal here and there are no effort issues with Johnson. This also doesn't take into account what they get from Naz Jones, Stephen, Jefferson, and Jackson( now plays some 3 tech), who's contracts combined are likely less than Sheldon Richardson.

Then, of course, there's the Reed, who will be even better than before.

REALLY nice offseason decision making at DT this year. Sheldon be damned...

getnasty

Reaction score
Sheldon Richardson-Double teamed every snap
Tom Johnson-not

toffee

Reaction score
Double teamed or not, Sheldon didn’t shine last season, nor did his presence empowers his teammates to shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
Tom Johnson- 33 years old
Sheldon Richardson- 27 years old

I certainly hope that Johnson has another season like last season in him but the dude is old (for an NFL player) and his skills are going to drop off soon. Johnson only has a little time left and he could fall off the cliff at any time.

Atradees

Reaction score
Well, we have certainly reloaded on the Dline and we also took players from the Vikings good dline. I wonder what went on behind the scenes with the Richardson/Johnson/Stephens deals and Trading Places. Was there any averice there?
I thought richardson was a good player for us but I didn't think he was all world or anything.

adeltaY

Reaction score
toffee":2dwqj7z9 said:
Double teamed or not, Sheldon didn’t shine last season, nor did his presence empowers his teammates to shine.

Taking up double teams does empower your teammates to shine. Keeping guys like Bobby and KJ clean to make tackles is a huge boon to the defense.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He's played one game as a Seahawk. Lets give him a season before starting to crow what a great addition he was.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Double teamed every snap?

Dude played 3 tech. Do you understand what a problem that is when Reed is playing 1 techand has a direct line to the QBs face AND have Clark and Bennett to deal with as well?

Even if you're talking 3rd down only, are they going to double Bennet at DT or Frank Clark at Leo on the other side?

That is complete and utter nonsense. Richardson was literally the least talented AND least productive player on that line last year.

So let's start here...count how many OL there are on a standard line and see if you can at least get that right.

Then count how many people they have to block and see how many doubles you can have and pick who you think gets the double.

On top of that, versus the run, it's usually play side and even pass plays tend to shade to the side of dense routes like flood concepts.

Not even Reggie White was doubled every play.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'll give the other poster the age aspect for sure, but Richardson isn't remotely worth a long term staple player cotract anyway so it's moot. Neither are the future.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The fascination with Sheldon Richardson around here is ridiculous. He got benched in the Week 17 game for lack of lane discipline against the Cards. Arians kept running the same run play right at him with routine success in the 1st half. He gets benched, that play was no longer successful.

One sack in his season here was also pretty meh. The D line will be better without him.

Go Tom Johnson!

getnasty

Reaction score
Ok every play was a exaggeration but he was double team a lot last year. If you the question us who would you rather have for the contracts they got, id still rather have Richardson but at least that's debatable. If your asking who's the better player it's not even close and I don't even like Richardson.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I like Sheldon, but he didn't do much of anything vs. the type of player he can be. Let alone what they gave up to get him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
vin.couve12":7ieuceuy said:
That is complete and utter nonsense. Richardson was literally the least talented AND least productive player on that line last year.

Richardson was the Jimmy Graham of the defense last year. You can argue that he wasn't worth a huge contract, but Sheldon's 2017 is and remains highly underrated. He created a number of crucial turnovers last year in what ended up being one-score games. That's both the tape and stats talking.

That said, I feel the Seahawks will actually end up having done a better job reloading the DL than they will TE. I'm excited about the talent they have there, and not even the vets. Naz Jones and Jarran Reed are already studs. Clark we know. Green is looking like an absolute steal (preseason caveat firmly in place). Quinton Jefferson is a nice rotational piece.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
All I know is the Hawks hoped they got the 2014 version, where Richardson had 8 sacks.

Since them, his numbers have slowly dropped.
2015 -5 sacks
2016 -1.5 sacks
2017 -1 sack

And, as something already stated, we had MB, Clark, Reed and Jones on our DLine.

Interested in seeing a side by side comparison during the season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":n9k7box1 said:

Sheldon is a far more dangerous and athletic interior lineman than Johnson.........who relies on his brute strength and tenacity to penetrate and cause problems.

A good rotation player, but due to his age we better limit his snaps to less than 50% or else he's going to wear down faster than a Walmart folding chair.

But yes Johnson's a much better team player and leader who never takes plays off or causes locker room problems, as Sheldon has been rumored to do.

ivotuk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2gpeazv4 said:
I'll give the other poster the age aspect for sure, but Richardson isn't remotely worth a long term staple player cotract anyway so it's moot. Neither are the future.

There's a reason he's not here anymore. He didn't perform and wasn't worth the investment. Nobody else wanted him for big bucks either as witnessed by the contract he did get.

Tom Johnson will be just fine as his replacement, and may even outperform him.