Not happy with our TEs, Vannett or McEvoy

ivotuk

Reaction score
Dropped TD hit him in the hands, and McEvoy looks lost sometimes. On a punt, he ran down there, 1st on there, and had no idea where the ball was. It bounced back towards the Seahawks and gave the Chargers more room.

The run blocking? I don't know enough to judge that, but my uneducated opinion says it's not up to par from those 2.

Keep Swoopes, the converted QB and give him a chance to learn the position because these 2 have had plenty of opportunities and have been sporadic.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
All I know is I could have laid down just as effectively as Ifedi did for a fraction of the price.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Aros":3429y0j5 said:
All I know is I could have laid down just as effectively as Ifedi did for a fraction of the price.

Man that guy was pathetic. In his defense, Ray Roberts last year said the Ifedi has the talent, but that he's been taught the wrong way to play. "You can't deliver a punch when your coach teaches you to play with your arms extended."

RR also said that Duane Brown's play went downhill the longer he was here.

I don't want to hijack my own thread, but maybe these guys just need better coaching to become blocking Tight Ends. But that ball bouncing off Vannett's hand in the End Zone really aggravated me!

xStickybudz

Reaction score
I haven’t been impressed with Vannett at all even in his first game

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Vannett does nothing for me. Prove me wrong cupcake. (Nod to pehawk).

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Vannett probably will never be a great receiver.

He isn't great at blocking but he is adequate, which is better than we get sometimes.

Receiving can be taught. But whether someone has reliable hands or not is pretty much genetic. It is either there or not. There are guys that dropped the ball often and fixed it later (but most of those cases were guys struggling with vision problems). However, for the most part, guys that are not reliable at catching the ball in their catch radius - are not ever going to be reliable catching the ball.

I said this about McEvoy back in the day (who still should have been a safety! It isn't like we don't NEED safeties....) and I am saying it about Vannett. I haven't seen enough of Dissly to have an opinion one way or another. He looks solid so far. But the odds are Vannett will not be a great TE because he will likely not ever be a reliable, consistent threat as a receiving TE.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
How many great TE's have the Seahawks had in their history?
Zach Miller? Too slow
Jimmy Graham? Can't block
Itula Mili? The Chris Gray of TE's
John Carlson? Can't stay healthy

The franchise has done well as long as we could run the ball and had competent receivers. Having dynamic TE's was never the key to any of the successful Seahawk seasons. Not too worried. If all our TE's can do is keep Ifedi from getting our QB murdered, I'll be happy.

quadsas

Reaction score
Mad Dog":8pq52bkb said:
Zach Miller? Too slow

The franchise has done well as long as we could run the ball and had competent receivers. Having dynamic TE's was never the key to any of the successful Seahawk seasons. Not too worried. If all our TE's can do is keep Ifedi from getting our QB murdered, I'll be happy.

Zach was a god damn beast, bailed Russ out so many times by being a 3rd down machine. I truly miss having someone like him, was hoping Vannett could become one, but alas it wasnt meant to be

Mad Dog

Reaction score
quadsas":d7507zi1 said:
Mad Dog":d7507zi1 said:
Zach Miller? Too slow

Zach was a god damn beast, bailed Russ out so many times by being a 3rd down machine. I truly miss having someone like him, was hoping Vannett could become one, but alas it wasnt meant to be

Zach was the best but the bar was pretty low.

Still we won a SB with Kellen Davis, Anthony McCoy and Luke Willson as our starting TE's.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I know we hate him here cuz he sucked at blocking but Graham was by far the best receiving TE to the point that IMO he was the best overall. He was way misused and that's on the coaching staff. The low effort last season was bad on his part but there are plenty of clips of him knocking DEs to the dirt as well. No idea why he was inconsistent effort wise.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3467xg9d said:
quadsas":3467xg9d said:
Mad Dog":3467xg9d said:
Zach Miller? Too slow

Still we won a SB with Kellen Davis, Anthony McCoy and Luke Willson as our starting TE's.
Zach was considered one of the best receiving TE's in the league, and one of the best all around TE's in the NFL. In Oakland he was a first down machine, and great possession TE. Our staff just didn't know how to use tight ends properly. A good example of this is Jimmy Graham. How they used him in NO was completely different than how they used him in Seattle. We tried pounding a square peg into a round hole with Jimmy Graham.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sheesh, tough crowd for Vannett. It's not like he had a ton of opportunities playing behind Graham and Luke the last two years. He's been extremely efficient when the ball has come his way. If you watch closely, his "drop" vs LA, the defender got his hand in there to bat it away at the last second. Plus, I think Russ could've been better at leading the ball to him. It's too small of a sample size to tell if he'll be a total bust or not. But the sample is promising.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":j6aoukvq said:
Sheesh, tough crowd for Vannett. It's not like he had a ton of opportunities playing behind Graham and Luke the last two years. He's been extremely efficient when the ball has come his way. If you watch closely, his "drop" vs LA, the defender got his hand in there to bat it away at the last second. Plus, I think Russ could've been better at leading the ball to him. It's too small of a sample size to tell if he'll be a total bust or not. But the sample is promising.
He had a good game against the Colts, looked to be a favorite target of Wilson's.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1avahvah said:
Zach Miller? Too slow

You need to go back a lot farther Newbie, Charlie Young, Christian Fauria,
Pete Metzelaars , Ron Howard, John Sawyer, Carlester T. Crumpler, Mike Tice,

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2t0z6pxc said:
quadsas":2t0z6pxc said:
Mad Dog":2t0z6pxc said:
Zach Miller? Too slow

Zach Miller was our starting TE during our SB season, and we probably don't get there without him. McCoy was on IR for it.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I though it was pretty obvious the pass from RW in the endzone was knocked away from the defender. A ball doesn't reflect off a players hands the way it did towards the sideline from a dropped pass.

kf3339

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1l2by90r said:
Mad Dog":1l2by90r said:
quadsas":1l2by90r said:
Mad Dog":1l2by90r said:
Zach Miller? Too slow

Zach Miller was our starting TE during our SB season, and we probably don't get there without him. McCoy was on IR for it.

^This.

I thought the post from Mad Dog was off, so thanks for clarifying.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3826id52 said:
Mad Dog":3826id52 said:
quadsas":3826id52 said:
Mad Dog":3826id52 said:
Zach Miller? Too slow

Zach was considered one of the best receiving TE's in the league, and one of the best all around TE's in the NFL. In Oakland he was a first down machine, and great possession TE. Our staff just didn't know how to use tight ends properly. A good example of this is Jimmy Graham. How they used him in NO was completely different than how they used him in Seattle. We tried pounding a square peg into a round hole with Jimmy Graham.
Zach and Graham's receptions dropped significantly because were a running team and liked to play out the clock. It didn't bode well for Luke Willson either who was very underrated as a TE here despite the "Wilson to Willson" connections. Yes Zach was a great blocker and good receiver but to be fair Luke's reception rate, yards/reception and TD stats were better than Zachs in nearly the same time they had in Seattle. Luke actually got targeted fewer times in his 5 years than Zach did in his 4 years with the Seahawks and Luke was improving as a blocker.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1eq9wjbu said:
Spin Doctor":1eq9wjbu said:
Mad Dog":1eq9wjbu said:
quadsas":1eq9wjbu said:

Zach and Graham's receptions dropped significantly because were a running team and liked to play out the clock. It didn't bode well for Luke Willson either who was very underrated as a TE here despite the "Wilson to Willson" connections. Yes Zach was a great blocker and good receiver but to be fair Luke's reception rate, yards/reception and TD stats were better than Zachs in nearly the same time they had in Seattle. Luke actually got targeted fewer times in his 5 years than Zach did in his 4 years with the Seahawks and Luke was improving as a blocker.
The Seahawks haven't been a "running team" for quite some time. Go look at how many times the Seahawks have passed the ball since 2015. The Seahawks haven't had any sort of ground game since 2015. In 2016 and 2017 the Seahawks were near the bottom of the league in rushing yards, while having the QB with the most rushing yards in that two year period.

Jimmy Graham was not as successful as he could've been here because we attempted to try and make him something that he was not. He played wide receiver for more snaps than he did TE during his last season in NO.

As far as Luke Willson goes, he isn't even comparable to Zach Miller. Miller was far and away the better, and more versatile player. He also played on a run dominate team when he was at his best in Oakland. He played on a team with no Quarterback as well. Despite this he churned out 700 and 800 yard seasons in Oakland.