Seahawks defensive tackle Poona Ford impresses in 2nd presea

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think a lot of us fans knew this early on. This guy's ability stands out, and I don't understand why he was an UDFA...oh that's right...too short.

Seahawks defensive tackle Poona Ford impresses in 2nd preseason game

"Ford is competing for a job as an interior defensive lineman and his performance in Saturday’s 24-14 loss to the Chargers certainly helped his cause. Ford had four combined tackles, one run stop and one QB pressure.

His 84.7 grade from Pro Football Focus ranked No. 10 out of 100 interior defensive linemen last week."

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... ason-game/

SeaMeat

Reaction score
I am rooting hard for him as I am a Longhorns fan. Plus.... because he is badass!

I REALLY want to see him on the 53.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Hope he makes the team as with some seasoning and coaching he could in fact be, "badass".
I think he makes the preactice squad and when injury bug hits an interior D lineman he'll get his chance.
The Hawks gotta protect him on the 53 or PS. I don't think they want to see him kicking OUR butts in a year or two.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
We do not have a true NT that's stout enough to take on and anchor against double teams on a run play. He'll definitely rotate with Reed on run downs.

I said this previously, this is a really talented DL. It's up to our Line coach and Norton to let these guys know what their role is and make sure they play within the system.

Way too early, but this is looking like a solid rookie class. Penny, Dissly, Green, Martin, Griffin, Flowers and Ford...

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
truehawksfan":2g1yygsr said:
We do not have a true NT that's stout enough to take on and anchor against double teams on a run play. He'll definitely rotate with Reed on run downs.

I said this previously, this is a really talented DL. It's up to our Line coach and Norton to let these guys know what their role is and make sure they play within the system.

Way too early, but this is looking like a solid rookie class. Penny, Dissly, Green, Martin, Griffin, Flowers and Ford... and especially Michael Dickson

FIFY

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if he doesn't make the 53. I believe the DL will be look this after the final cuts -
DT - Reed, Jones, Johnson, Stephen, Ford
DE - Clark, Green, Jefferson, Jackson, Jordan (PUP)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Jared Stranger and Davis Hsu seems to think its going to be difficult for him to make the roster due to numbers at that position.

They seem to think Branden Jackson may not make the team and the Seahawks go with 5 DT instead of 5 DE's. Assuming Green does well playing with the 1's in the next couple of games.

Seen others who aren't convinced by Jaran Reed, okay at most things but doesn't excel at much either.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Seahawks/status/1032099924261761024[/tweet]

If they choose to waive Ford at the cut down, I don’t believe he will make it to the practice squad without being claimed by another team.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1ac0074w said:
Way too early, but this is looking like a solid rookie class. Penny, Dissly, Green, Martin, Griffin, Flowers and Ford...

You have missed mentioning Dickson and Jones. Dickson looks to be a very special addition to the Hawks Special teams, while Jones was looking to be an interesting add at OT until he got hurt.

I also think Ford could be the UDFA steal of the season for the team, but time alone will tell the real story. Lots of young players flash early against reserves in competition but struggle when real bullets start to fly.

Meanwhile our ten year punter just was replaced by a rookie who has been amazing in his first 2 preseason games.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
We have 5 DTs who are looking very good (we usually keep only four):

Jarran Reed
Tom Johnson
Shamar Stephen
Nazair Jones
Poona Ford

I wonder if Johnson, Stephen, or Jones could play some 5T. Branden Jackson has been getting most of the first team reps, but he hasn't done much. Using Stephen at 5T could be like how they used Red Bryant in the glory years.

DEs
Frank Clark
Rasheem Green
Quinton Jefferson
Dion Jordan (Carroll thinks he has a chance to return by Week 1, though his doctors' timeline has him out longer)
Jacob Martin (really hope we can keep him too)

10 DL seems like a lot. However, they did roll with 10 defensive linemen in 2013 (and we know how that turned out). DL depth is critical.

2017 DL: 7
2016 DL: 8
2015 DL: 9
2014 DL: 9
2013 DL: 10

Fade

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is dumb if he keeps old man Johnson over 4 yrs of team control Poona Ford. Keep both and scrimp elsewhere, or cut the old man if you have no other choice. Johnson is a rental, Poona is 4 ever (4 yrs) at a stupidly cheap price. (RFA in yr 4).

You don't cut good young players to keep old JAGs, that is how you get worse.

Poona will be claimed by another team if cut. He won't be on the practice squad.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Or we could wait to see how it plays out? Still a couple weeks of ball to play, fingers crossed we don't add more injuries etc.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Fade":26hnqmm3 said:
Pete Carroll is dumb if he keeps old man Johnson over 4 yrs of team control Poona Ford. Keep both and scrimp elsewhere, or cut the old man if you have no other choice. Johnson is a rental, Poona is 4 ever (4 yrs) at a stupidly cheap price. (RFA in yr 4).

Poona will be claimed by another team if cut. He won't be on the practice squad.

This is pretty much what Mike Salk was saying the other day. If it comes down to a young player showing a little bit less on the field, he will improve with time, so you keep him and get rid of the "rental" (Fade's term).

HawkGA

Reaction score
TreeRon":2wm9wgs5 said:
Hope he makes the team as with some seasoning and coaching he could in fact be, "badass".
I think he makes the preactice squad and when injury bug hits an interior D lineman he'll get his chance.
The Hawks gotta protect him on the 53 or PS. I don't think they want to see him kicking OUR butts in a year or two.

"protect" and "PS" do not go together. Players on the practice squad are fair game for other teams to poach. And that assumes he even makes it to the PS as he would have to clear waivers first.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Essentially then if he doesn't make the 53 the Seahawks have auditioned Ford for the rest of the NFL.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I re-watched the game last night, on a run play, he shoved the RG back, jettisoned him, and wrapped up the RB, rolling like a crocodile with a deer in it's mouth! :D

He had a lot of "splash plays" where his push got the other DL some room to attack. I LOVE this kid. He's my "Adopt-A-Rookie."

Pete better not cut him, or I'm going to cry like a little baby :cry:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ivotuk":1wb36j5f said:
Fade":1wb36j5f said:

This is pretty much what Mike Salk was saying the other day. If it comes down to a young player showing a little bit less on the field, he will improve with time, so you keep him and get rid of the "rental" (Fade's term).

Poona has flashed against 4th-string camp bodies who won't be on any roster in two months' time. He's hardly shown more than the very kind of vet camp body we went to the SB with.

I like Poona, but whether he's Nick Reed or Michael Bennett still remains to be seen.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2pnqqdwz said:
ivotuk":2pnqqdwz said:
Fade":2pnqqdwz said:

Poona has flashed against 4th-string camp bodies who won't be on any roster in two months' time. He's hardly shown more than the very kind of vet camp body we went to the SB with.

I like Poona, but whether he's Nick Reed or Michael Bennett still remains to be seen.

He reminds me of Mebane.