FG: Ifedi unfixable, Jaron Brown a steal

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm not quite ready to give up on Ifedi, not until Solari's had him for a full year to unlearn all the terrible Cable habits.

But this past weekend was the worst I've seen Ifedi look in a long time. I get that Ingram is an All Pro caliber DE, but good god man, Ifedi looked like he had no business even being out there.

We're in big trouble if he or ANYONE can't at least play mediocre at the RT position. Good teams are just going to load up on the right side and kill Russell.

This is the NFL, you can't just run every play to one side of the field because your O-line is terrible on the other.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well, we knew we were screwed with Ifedi.

Nobody is surprised by this.

I am perplexed they didn't try to address it in the draft but I think considering the effectiveness of their previous drafts with OL - they have come to the conclusion they cannot evaluate OL. Probably a good conclusion but makes it hard to fix the problem.

On the other hand, I give the FO constant crap about making bad roster decisions, FA acquisitions and trades. But the Brown pickup was spectacular and, given the issues our defense will face, we will need him.

Chapow

Reaction score
I have to agree with the assessment in that article that Ifedi is looking so shockingly bad that he's unplayable at this point. It's really unfortunate, but they have got to find someone else to play RT. Even another bad player is likely to be less bad than Ifedi. If he's playing when the games start to count we're going to be in big trouble.

pcbball12

Reaction score
I get the reaction to him around here. I hated the pick when they made it. I thought he was a 3rd round talent at best. And at first glance, watching the game live, he looked miserable. But, going back and focusing on him, it wasn’t as bad as it’s being made out to be.

Don’t get me wrong, the bad was BAD. But he also had his share of plus plays in the run game and pass pro. His problem is consistency. He still has brain fart errors and still has snaps where his technique is just trash. The fact that he’s been who he has been up until this point magnifies all of his mistakes...and rightfully so. I’ve grown tired of him as well. But, I’m hoping he can just clean up his mistakes. He flashes starter ability. Unfortunately it’s way too inconsistent and his bad plays are usually really bad and noticeable.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Not worried. VS pass rusher like Ingram, a lot of RTs would look foolish. But Ifedi can still run block, and I blame Cable for playing Ifedi all over the place, moving him back and forth when the guy didn't even know how to play one position.

Asinine.

I'll go with Ray Roberts opinion until it's proven wrong. He says Ifedi has the talent to be a good player, He just needs to unlearn the bad habits he was taught.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":c57odizj said:
I'll go with Ray Roberts opinion until it's proven wrong. He says Ifedi has the talent to be a good player, He just needs to unlearn the bad habits he was taught.

I hope you're right, but listening to Cliff Avril yesterday breaking down Ifedi's performance Saturday wasn't very reassuring.

He said he's still making the same fundamental high school technique mistakes he was making last year when he, Clark and Bennett were destroying him in practice.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Part of the issue is that he doesn't really get much help.

For most of his career the guys on his team in his line were learning, making mistakes and screwing up - while being moved all over the place and being instructed in ways that made them worse. Even Brown got sucked into that.

Really easy for a player to learn a lot of bad habits in that time. Really hard to unlearn bad habits or easy to get a bad attitude about being put in a position you could not possibly succeed. He might have checked out by now. Some players would.

Hopefully, he can be fixed. Hopefully motivated. The Avril comments give me pause, attitude or lack of effort is going to be a problem if apathy or indolence has set in. But we don't have much choice so we have to hope they can fix him.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3gua0nhj said:
I'm not quite ready to give up on Ifedi, not until Solari's had him for a full year to unlearn all the terrible Cable habits.

But this past weekend was the worst I've seen Ifedi look in a long time. I get that Ingram is an All Pro caliber DE, but good god man, Ifedi looked like he had no business even being out there.

We're in big trouble if he or ANYONE can't at least play mediocre at the RT position. Good teams are just going to load up on the right side and kill Russell.

This is the NFL, you can't just run every play to one side of the field because your O-line is terrible on the other.

Hmmm....well I was going to "tear into" that thought but after consideration you have a good point. As much as I dislike Ifedi and his Wilson killing tendencies, The Fable factor is valid IMO. :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":5ddh9jrk said:
Hopefully, he can be fixed. Hopefully motivated. The Avril comments give me pause, attitude or lack of effort is going to be a problem if apathy or indolence has set in. But we don't have much choice so we have to hope they can fix him.

Avril's criticized Ifedi regularly since he started his show with Puck. Not a fan of his mindset or attitude.

So while I think we can get by in the run game, cause Ifedi's as big as a house and can maul people in the run game, he continues to be unable (or unwilling) to learn the correct footwork and technique to drop into pass-pro.

Which was his problem Saturday against Ingram. Narrow feet, terrible drops, standing up, etc. That's shizzle you learn in junior high, so I don't know what his problem is.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
I’ll never get the disdain for cable. He had studs here. James carpenter, unger, giacomini,sweezy... don’t we miss that line. And Oakland is avg 5.1 ypc this preseason, but cable sucks

HawkerD

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":19s6564l said:
Well, we knew we were screwed with Ifedi.

Nobody is surprised by this.

I am perplexed they didn't try to address it in the draft but I think considering the effectiveness of their previous drafts with OL - they have come to the conclusion they cannot evaluate OL. Probably a good conclusion but makes it hard to fix the problem.

On the other hand, I give the FO constant crap about making bad roster decisions, FA acquisitions and trades. But the Brown pickup was spectacular and, given the issues our defense will face, we will need him.

I think the Jamarco Jones pick was solid considering where we got him. If not for his injury, I could have seen him taking the RT position by week 2. He is a little slow but technique is solid. If he makes it through this injury quickly he may have a chance to start by mid year. Although I would say he can't afford to lose any of his already limited quickness.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The article also makes reference to his length being a disadvantage. I remember the same being true of Red Bryant when he was used as an interior tackle; guy just couldn't get leverage because of his length.

HawkGA

Reaction score
In fairness to the team, you lose two players at any position and you're going to have problems. There's no way a team can legitimately be expected to be 3+ deep at a position.

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":3s4thlqk said:
I’ll never get the disdain for cable. He had studs here. James carpenter, unger, giacomini,sweezy... don’t we miss that line. And Oakland is avg 5.1 ypc this preseason, but cable sucks

And the Seahawks were #4 in rushing yards in the preseason last year... it doesn't mean squat. Carp wasn't good with us, he only became good once he left for the Jets. Giacomini was good at run blocking and bad in pass protection, same with Sweezy (who got better in pass pro once he left... wonder why?)

None of those guys were studs. The only stud he had was Unger, who was here before Cable. Okung was pretty good too, and also drafted before Cable got here.

Also, as noted in the FG piece, Ifedi was lost or overmatched on some running plays as well. He hasn't been good in the run game, I'm not sure where that idea came from. More wishcasting than based on evidence. Maybe he was good at run blocking when he was playing guard?

I watched all the pass pro snaps and I "only" counted four pressures given up by Ifedi, three against Ingram. That's not horrific. I think his struggles were overstated, but the reasons behind them laid out in the article, which goes as far to say Ifedi is a lost cause, make me feel really uneasy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":1tab8s49 said:

All these guys played with Russell and Marshawn (in his prime), so I'm not going to give Cable a whole lot of credit for the best running QB in the league and HOF caliber RB in his prime masking a lot of issues with the line.

It wasn't a coincidence that as soon as Marshawn, Okung and Unger left the line was the worst in the league..........and Cable couldn't fix it.

Also evident that most of they guys you mentioned failed to be productive elsewhere, and some were downright terrible.

Not all Cable's fault, I'm not placing all the blame at his feet. But he failed to do what he was paid HANDSOMELY to do, coach up and make lemonade out of lemons by getting a subpar line to play well. Especially the last 2-3 years.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":236lljb2 said:

Well I would suggest you look further into his real world stats then....because he absolutely does suck, especially in pass protection! :pukeface:

Also...take notice that Fable's sack rate went DOWN when he got Russell Wilson...not up like some think this is all Wilson's fault! :roll:

Cable Ranking

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Seymour":2uh65mej said:
hawksincebirth":2uh65mej said:

Well I would suggest you look further into his real world stats then....because he absolutely does suck, especially in pass protection! :pukeface:

Also...take notice that Fable's sack rate went DOWN when he got Russell Wilson...not up like some think this is all Wilson's fault! :roll:

Cable Ranking

So.... if I'm reading this correctly, we were good when we had a good line? Imagine that!