Is Tyler Lockett Poised to have a HUGE Year?

Sac

Reaction score
Two seasons removed from the broken leg, and a new offensive coordinator that likes to run 3-4 verts, and underneath routes for YAC receivers...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sac":2z84qr2m said:
Two seasons removed from the broken leg, and a new offensive coordinator that likes to run 3-4 verts, and underneath routes for YAC receivers...

Bevell liked his 3-4 verts, too.

HawkerD

Reaction score
He is over hyped and over rated by the Seahawk homers Good return man and at best an average WR#2. Might even be better if he was in the slot but Doug has that covered. Being a casual viewer I don't see him getting a lot of separation on the outside.

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
HawkerD":242m07ec said:
He is over hyped and over rated by the Seahawk homers Good return man and at best an average WR#2. Might even be better if he was in the slot but Doug has that covered. Being a casual viewer I don't see him getting a lot of separation on the outside.

That's interesting considering his measurables were identical to AB's coming out of college.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Huge year as a returner, sure. I think he's got serious situational competition for reps in a pure WR role with Brown, Moore, and probably Marshall as well.

It's not that he isn't a good player. He's a very nuanced route runner with very good speed and quickness, but our WR situation this year is better than its been in years from top to bottom, IMO. Pending health, of course.

RW could easily have his best year yet with a rejuvenated running game so long as Fedi Flop doesn't get him hurt or some other OL.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sac":bod7i5xz said:
HawkerD":bod7i5xz said:

That's interesting considering his measurables were identical to AB's coming out of college.
Baldwin ran a 6.56 3 cone. His quickness and explosion out of his stance is second to none. To put that in perspective, Desean Jackson's 3 cone was 6.82. Jackson's vertical acceleration exacerbates his quickness, but Baldwin is absolute lightning in short area quickness.

Lockett is not quite the same in that regard.

Edit: Lockett ran 6.89 3-cone.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yeah Brown's combine was average at best. 4.57 40 and a 6.98 3 cone with a 33 inch vert. Supposedly got that down to 4.48 40 at his pro day. No 3 cone then, but if the 1.50 10 yard split is real then that would show where tje vertical acceleration comes from. On topf that he's just crafty and has stickum hands.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sac":md3ntxie said:
HawkerD":md3ntxie said:

AB being Antonio Brown?

Anyway...more a gut feeling than anything, but I agree I think he'll have a big year (for him).

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Well, it's not all necessarily about combine, as we know.

Jaron Brown also ran a 4.40 flat like Lockett, but had a 6.82 3-cone at almost 6'3 while also being a better leaper than Lockett.

David Moore ran a 4.43 at over 6' and 219 pounds. That's 37 pounds heavier, but is now 215 pounds. 6.98 3-cone, but with dropping weight that should be better and he also tested as a better leaper than Lockett. The two plays he made Saturday...Lockett can't get up for balls quite like that.

Then you have Marshall. That said, if you're talking about winning contested balls i the vertical game, Lockett isn't the best choice. However, he's more likely to be more successful using his speed and quickness with savvy route running to be open on intermediate and shorter routes.

Lots of situational stuff there. Lockett has legitimate competition.

I'm sure blocking has to play a part as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":125fquvb said:
Sac":125fquvb said:

Yeah but the difference is Bevell had everyone in the same spot where Schotty spreads people all over the field. :p

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Lockett is poised to have a very good year. 700+ receiving yards and 5+ TDs would be my guess. Brown has also looked very explosive.

WR corps, overall, could be the strongest it’s been since 2013.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sac":9wg0ipmp said:
HawkerD":9wg0ipmp said:

That does not mean he will be Antonio Brown, in fact the chances of him becoming Brown are stacked against him. I don't think much of Locket's receiving skills. I think he is highly overrated around here as a receiver -- especially after last year where he looked sluggish. Some receivers never recover from that kind of injury. Lockett is a role player and special team ace. As an outside receiver he looks bad, and as an inside receiver he is far from our best option (Baldwin).

Lockett is not going to do much impressing this season as a wide receiver, mark my words.

seabowl

Reaction score
Prior injury - very good
Post injury - average

Just depends on whether he can get his speed back. Wasn't blazing even before the injury but was quick.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't know, he looked like he was getting some speed back at the end of last year. I suspect he is going to be a big time contributor.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So far all Lockett seems to be poised to do so far is spend time in the trainer’s rooms. He needs to get healthy and stay healthy.

The team has seen very little of the two WRs we have all labelled #1 & # 2. While I have zero doubt Baldwin will be ready, I am less certain about Lockett. I remain very hopeful and believe he could in fact have a big season if he stays healthy so his speed and quickness which he uses well can be fully utilized.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
chris98251":2ytxv60b said:
MontanaHawk05":2ytxv60b said:
Sac":2ytxv60b said:

Yeah but the difference is Bevell had everyone in the same spot where Schotty spreads people all over the field. :p

That...really wasn't the case.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think Jaron Brown is going to poach a lot of balls that Lockett might have seen. Wilson has always been equitable in his distribution so I don't see any receivers having a monster year.

naholmes

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2yqmcf48 said:
So far all Lockett seems to be poised to do so far is spend time in the trainer’s rooms. He needs to get healthy and stay healthy.

The team has seen very little of the two WRs we have all labelled #1 & # 2. While I have zero doubt Baldwin will be ready, I am less certain about Lockett. I remain very hopeful and believe he could in fact have a big season if he stays healthy so his speed and quickness which he uses well can be fully utilized.
I optimisticly believe Lockett was held out of the last game as a precaution. However, if he doesn’t deliver results on Friday then I’m going to be very concerned about the WR core as a whole. There are just too many question marks for all the pass catchers and the only proven commodity is Baldwin who’s barely practiced. They don’t need Lockett to have a huge year but they do need him to stay healthy and be a stable contributor.