Fant taking Ifedi's job?

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Condotta reporting on Twitter that Fant's moving over to compete against Ifedi. We will see!

HawkGA

Reaction score
This could simply be a depth move. Do they even have a backup RT at the moment???

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":196xmjlc said:
This could simply be a depth move. Do they even have a backup RT at the moment???

Actually they do: it’s also being reported that Isaiah Battle was back in pads today practicing.

Seymour

Reaction score
Well if Fant is smart, he'll pay someone to say BOOO when Ifedi is taking reps and false start his way into the new job. :irishdrinkers:

iigakusei

Reaction score
Ifedi is probably 10 times better than Fant would be at Right Tackle right now.
It isnt as simple as just flipping from Left to Right - especially a guy like Fant who is fairly new to football.
This is a way down the road option.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
iigakusei":1m1tbokb said:
It isnt as simple as just flipping from Left to Right - especially a guy like Fant who is fairly new to football.

On the other hand, Fant’s relative inexperience might make the move from left to right tackle easier. I’ve got to think it would be harder to change sides if you’ve been playing LT for years and have years of old habits to break and techniques that now have to be performed backwards. Fant has only been playing LT for part of two seasons. He might be more adaptable as a result.

Not saying I expect him to go out there on Friday night and look like a Pro Bowler, but he could conceivably pick up the new position quicker than expected.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":ltqs6ygh said:
iigakusei":ltqs6ygh said:

On the other hand, Fant’s relative inexperience might make the move from left to right tackle easier. I’ve got to think it would be harder to change sides if you’ve been playing LT for years and have years of old habits to break and techniques that now have to be performed backwards. Fant has only been playing LT for part of two seasons. He might be more adaptable as a result.

Not saying I expect him to go out there on Friday night and look like a Pro Bowler, but he could conceivably pick up the new position quicker than expected.
That is a great point. It just really sucks about Jones getting injured. I think he would have been a real possibility there.

sutz

Reaction score
IIRC, Fant was nearing league average at LT before the injury. They didn't go out and get Brown until after Fant was hurt.

They were pretty happy with his progress at the time. I suspect this might work out.

Rat

Reaction score
HawkGA":1udrpr20 said:

No. Anyone incapable of beating out Ifedi would resign in shame, and commit sudoku.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
iigakusei":2zgwixyq said:
Shadowhawk":2zgwixyq said:
iigakusei":2zgwixyq said:

That is a great point. It just really sucks about Jones getting injured. I think he would have been a real possibility there.

I was getting really excited to see Jones play, too. Watching him get rolled up like that in the Colts game was a gut punch.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
iigakusei":e33qcmhn said:
Shadowhawk":e33qcmhn said:
iigakusei":e33qcmhn said:

I'm still so mad over Jones getting hurt. :x I just knew he was going to beat Ifedi in that competition. :34853_doh:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1fkeuakc said:
Fant is not going to be an improvement at right tackle.
... unless he gains some experience working at the position, which is why the staff is moving him there.

At this point an orange traffic cone would be better than Ifedi, simply because the cone wouldn't jump offside.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Ifedi is very volatile. He does make way too many bad plays, but at the same time those are the only plays that get discussed on blogs. It's understandable that fans who read those blogs would think he makes only bad plays and should be replaced ASAP by anybody.

If your true problem with Ifedi is his low floor then Fant is not a solution. He may have more upside at this point but is also liable to make large mistakes given his inexperience. Jones, on the other hand, really did minimize obvious mistakes and could still be the answer midway through the season.

James in PA

Reaction score
Man, I thought there’d be more excitement here about this development. I’d say Fant has a very realistic shot at beating out Ifedi. I’m all for giving him a chance to steal that starting RT job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkGA

Reaction score
James in PA":ulzrtao7 said:
Man, I thought there’d be more excitement here about this development. I’d say Fant has a very realistic shot at beating out Ifedi. I’m all for giving him a chance to steal that starting RT job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll see. At least we'll know that whoever gets it is better than a better alternative than currently exists

Good news that Battle is back at practice.

To the person who said Ifedi is 10 times better than Fant, I would have to call BS. Ifedi isn't 10 times better than anybody. 2 or 3 times, max

hawknation2018

Reaction score
They also had Rees Odhiambo playing RG (because Fluker is hurt, again). Odhiambo and Fant have both looked terrible. And neither knows how to play from the right side of the line. Whatever QB plays behind them is going to have to deal with pressure.

Would like to see more of Willie Beavers and Skyler Phillips, who don’t have the experience but have both played well when given the opportunities.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Many of us are overblowing how bad Ifedi is and overrating how good Fant will be. I think Ifedi is the best RT on our roster - not a good thing, but it is what it is. Our best bet is to hope he gets better and start scheming around him, especially on crucial plays like big third downs or in the red zone. Make the guy he'd normally have to block a read player, run more misdirections, chip blocks, etc.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
adeltaY":3b0qoog9 said:
Many of us are overblowing how bad Ifedi is and overrating how good Fant will be. I think Ifedi is the best RT on our roster - not a good thing, but it is what it is. Our best bet is to hope he gets better and start scheming around him, especially on crucial plays like big third downs or in the red zone. Make the guy he'd normally have to block a read player, run more misdirections, chip blocks, etc.

Because the front office elected not to sign a decent RT with some starting experience at the position. Instead, they loaded up on guys at RG, which is where Ifedi should be playing. Trying to convert Fant to RT at this stage is a bit of a joke. Ditto with Odhiambo at RG. They have both been flying matadors in pass protection, while playing from the side of the line they are actually comfortable on. In additon, Battle has continually struggled with injuries — and finishing blocks when he is healthy.