Wagner talking about his future

Seymour

Reaction score
I just heard the interview. He wasn't even talking about himself. He was talking about KJ and Earl.

Nice try at a troll though. :roll: :pukeface:

This quote is further proof of that....title reader.

“I’m not thinking about it,’’ Wagner said when asked about his future in light of Earl Thomas’ impasse and that Wright’s future is uncertain. “I think once you think about it it takes away from your game. I’m here. I want to be here. I want to be here for my whole career

nategreat

Reaction score
Um, I'm not going to pay to read an article from the Seattle Times... a little context or overview would be nice. Please and thank you :D

Steve2222

Reaction score
Wagner, like ET, are pretty driven to be considered alltime greats at their positions. Wouldn’t expect either to let up no matter how much they were paid.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
1. He is thinking about it.

2. Yes, defensive players have to know their value, and their value is based on a FAR shorter leverage timeline than offensive players who can remain productive and healthy well into their mid 30's.

Other than RB's, offensive players have a much longer shelf life (on average) than defensive players. It's just the nature of the positions..............AND offensive players now have all the protection of the league, that puts a far higher value on those players to stay productive and healthy through a 2nd and even 3rd contract.

All the metrics prove this out, which is why just about every high profile defensive player looking for a monster contract isn't getting what he wants. Mack, Donald, Earl, etc.

I love both KJ and Bobby, but if I had to bet neither is going to get another monster extension. Maybe Bobby because MLB is arguably THE most important position on the defense as the captain. But even Bobby if he gets dinged up again and starts to show signs of aging? Not going to happen.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":iimz2h2x said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavidKIRO7/status/1032345352425238528[/tweet]
This quote coming from the third highest paid player on the squad about the fourth highest paid players hold out? The fifth highest paid player is a retired defender. WTF are these guys thinking? Are they angry at Doug? Because he’s the only non QB offensive player paid more than the top three defenders.

Seymour

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2i1l5lrj said:
This quote coming from the third highest paid player on the squad about the four WTF are these guys thinking? Are they angry at Doug? Because he’s the only non QB offensive player paid more than the top three defenders the highest paid players hold out? The fifth highest paid player is a retired defender. .

Nope...Brown just got a deal and I believe he is a bit over those guys or close (and he was technically "an outsider"), he's the only one I can think of. We've been paying our D up the ying yang 4 straight years and now it's just leveling out. Bobby is way off base on that part.

anonFAFA

Reaction score
On a side note, people really need to understand that you are getting paid for future production and not past performance. This is true of regular people jobs, too.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":34ho7ytv said:

Of course, they all are. "I'm not thinking about it" is what everyone says.

Sgt. Largent":34ho7ytv said:
I love both KJ and Bobby, but if I had to bet neither is going to get another monster extension. Maybe Bobby because MLB is arguably THE most important position on the defense as the captain. But even Bobby if he gets dinged up again and starts to show signs of aging? Not going to happen.

That's the irritating part for me as a fan, because I look around and see most people making their decisions purely based on whether or not the player has recently gotten banged up. Why do that? The RISK of injury is increasing by Wagner's age whether you've actually incurred an injury or not. So logically, based on the arguments that were used for Bennett/Sherman/Earl recently, you should decide never to support third contracts.

2_0_6

Reaction score
The true leaders of this team are stepping up and taking this head on.

I love it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, being there for his teammates and showing up. Enough of this "it's a business" crap. We get it already.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3rmp8wpj said:
Sgt. Largent":3rmp8wpj said:

Sgt. Largent":3rmp8wpj said:

That's the irritating part for me as a fan, because I look around and see most people making their decisions purely based on whether or not the player has recently gotten banged up. Why do that? The RISK of injury is increasing by Wagner's age whether you've actually incurred an injury or not. So logically, based on the arguments that were used for Bennett/Sherman/Earl recently, you should decide never to support third contracts.

I do it because that's what FO's all around the league do.

Football contracts are future productivity contracts, not past productivity contracts..............so you have to make calculated assumptions based on individual and general stats about each player.

- how old is Bobby in 2019, and how does that factor into the stats on player injury at his position
- what do his individual stats and injury history say about future probability of it continuing to happen as he ages
- what is our depth at the position
- what is the current state of the team, are we in a SB window or a development rebuild window

LOTS of factors, so sorry if it's irritating for you, but that's how teams think when deciding on whether to give a player an extension. Bobby and KJ are no different.

So yes, if he gets dinged up again like he did at the end of last year, it's a trend. Just like Earl's past two years of missing games is a trend............and is EXACTLY why no team including us is going to give him an extension.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tpnt8ua said:
MontanaHawk05":2tpnt8ua said:

I do it because that's what FO's all around the league do.

Football contracts are future productivity contracts, not past productivity contracts..............so you have to make calculated assumptions based on individual and general stats about each player.

- how old is Bobby in 2019, and how does that factor into the stats on player injury at his position
- what do his individual stats and injury history say about future probability of it continuing to happen as he ages
- what is our depth at the position
- what is the current state of the team, are we in a SB window or a development rebuild window

LOTS of factors, so sorry if it's irritating for you, but that's how teams think when deciding on whether to give a player an extension. Bobby and KJ are no different.

So yes, if he gets dinged up again like he did at the end of last year, it's a trend. Just like Earl's past two years of missing games is a trend............and is EXACTLY why no team including us is going to give him an extension.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to teams making their evaluations; I was referring to fans making theirs.

Funny thing about what you're saying is that you admitted that depth at the position and current state of the team are supposed to factor into whether a player's services should be retained between any given year. They didn't for Sherman. They didn't for Bennett. They didn't for Graham. At least for the fans. Those three were jettisoned without any heir apparent, and people are only now figuring out that "oh, shoot...those guys might actually have been good."

It's the same thing with Earl. Vin.couv12 can talk up Bradley McDougald's decent performance against two bad QB's last year all he likes, but this team is not getting better without Earl. That's a factor nobody's discussing, at least not until now as it's becoming obvious that Tedric Thompson is not going to be making us miss Earl.

adeltaY

Reaction score
If we let KJ and then Bobby go, assuming Earl is long gone by that time, what all pro players will we have left on defense? If they decide not to re-sign those guys, they better be damn sure to have great replacements waiting in the wings. Right now we have Quem for KJ and nothing for Bobby. T2 for ET3.... not sure about that, but it looks like we shall see this season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":23tppqc1 said:
Funny thing about what you're saying is that you admitted that depth at the position and current state of the team are supposed to factor into whether a player's services should be retained between any given year. They didn't for Sherman. They didn't for Bennett. They didn't for Graham. At least for the fans. Those three were jettisoned without any heir apparent, and people are only now figuring out that "oh, shoot...those guys might actually have been good."

It's the same thing with Earl. Vin.couv12 can talk up Bradley McDougald's decent performance against two bad QB's last year all he likes, but this team is not getting better without Earl. That's a factor nobody's discussing, at least not until now as it's becoming obvious that Tedric Thompson is not going to be making us miss Earl.

I didn't say we had equal heir apparents, obviously not. But there are players Pete and John drafted and aquired on the D-line and defensive backfield that they wanted to look at in starting roles, so that made guys like Sherman, Earl and Bennett expendable.

So yes it matters. If Bobby has a great healthy All Pro type year? You betcha Pete and John are going to strongly consider giving him an extension, again at a very key position. If he's dinged up again and is showing signs that the wear and tear and age is taking it's toll? Probably isn't happening.

Bobby also doesn't have the baggage that Bennett and Sherman had, and Earl is proving that he's also difficult to deal with. That also factors.........are you a good teammate and leader, or are you going to devolve into a pain in the ass.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33gbp38j said:
But there are players Pete and John drafted and aquired on the D-line and defensive backfield that they wanted to look at in starting roles, so that made guys like Sherman, Earl and Bennett expendable.

If Pete and John really thought that any of the flotsam they had at the time were anywhere near solid starter status, much less approaching the talent of the guys they were replacing, then I really might have to consider jumping on the "PCJS can't evaluate talent after all" bandwagon, as much as it smells like dirty socks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There's nothing special about third contracts. All contracts carry risk and the value of a contract depends on the trade-off between the contract amount and the expected player performance weighted by risk.

If Earl was looking for an extension in the ballpark of what he is currently making then I think he would already have it. It's just harder to justify $15 mil/year for a free safety and so potential risks are magnified.

Wagner is still the second highest paid ILB in the NFL and it's a position that, like safety, has not been trending up; none of the ILB contracts signed in '17 or '18 matched Wagner's deal. If he's already thinking about his extension in terms of a potential raise then it's not going to be an easy negotiation next off-season. There's no reason to worry about that now, however.