Poona Ford “nearly unblockable against the Vikings”

hawknation2018

Reaction score
As he did in the first two preseason games, Ford dominated again tonight.

As far as the backups go, the most impressive Seahawk defender by far was defensive tackle Poona Ford. He was nearly unblockable against the Vikings’ offensive line. He managed to rack up multiple defensive stops by knocking his man back two yards every time before effortlessly shedding him and making the tackle. He also had a nice pressure on a good pass rush, something he wasn’t well known for at Texas.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... eahawks-20

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I am impressed with this young player and hope he makes the team b/c if he doesn't some other team will certainly grab him.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NathanE11/status/1033461517302292481[/tweet]

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3rbiu61p said:

I don't know how most, or any, guards in the league are going to be able to block him if can consistently maintain that leverage. His shoulder was in the guards gut right at the snap.

sutz

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":19r885ht said:
hawknation2018":19r885ht said:

I don't know how most, or any, guards in the league are going to be able to block him if can consistently maintain that leverage. His shoulder was in the guards gut right at the snap.
There are some advantages to being shorter than the guy across from you.

It's against the scrubs, mostly, but he has certainly earned a good, long look. Maybe they give him 30-40 snaps next week.

Jville

Reaction score
Poona Ford is a hand fighting tunneling treat to watch and enjoy. He brings an element of uniqueness that could eventually eclipse the best of what Brandon Mebane brought to the field of play back when Mebane's play making excellence peaked.

We have seen excellent competition at defensive tackle. It's a diverse group. It includes 2 gap competent competitors on the inside to keep backs clean and collapse pockets. And, there is a revised opportunity to retain a Red Bryant style competitor that can match up on the outside when advantageous.

It is as if the defensive staff has been quietly building from the inside out. As a backup MLB, Austin Calitro has the potential to restore a lot of what they had prior to Brock Coyle's departure to San Francisco. And of course, the turn over at safety has been well covered and followed.

This year's defensive auditions and team building has been entertaining and enjoyable. I'd give it 5 stars.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Ford may be ultimately auditioning for another team. None of Johnson, Stephen, Reed, Jones, or Jefferson are going anywhere. Stephen, maybe (and now of course everyone will want him gone now that I've said that), but that DL is set and I doubt Poona makes it through to the practice squad.

Tough decisions to make, but for once, it feels like we have the pick of the litter at this and other positions (WR, for example).

xray

Reaction score
5'11 300 lbs Poona Ford is a bully boy beast!! The Hawks must keep this guy. They don't want to play against him down the line :!: :!:

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":rrkn15yg said:
Ford may be ultimately auditioning for another team. None of Johnson, Stephen, Reed, Jones, or Jefferson are going anywhere. Stephen, maybe (and now of course everyone will want him gone now that I've said that), but that DL is set and I doubt Poona makes it through to the practice squad.

Tough decisions to make, but for once, it feels like we have the pick of the litter at this and other positions (WR, for example).

Stephen is playing amazing against first teamers. No way he gets cut.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
With McKissic probably starting on pup, I think it will open a spot for Poona. They may even cut Madden to keep him, or something like that, if they have to. He is too unique, and way too good to let go. He, like Green, have dominated their first three games of preseason. People say, "Yeah, against backups." Yep, and like when a great team plays bad team's, you want to see them dominate. It's one thing to play to the level of your opponent, a whole different thing to dominate. No way Poona makes it to ps. This draft and udfa class is going to be great.

j hawk

Reaction score
Poona will make the 53 roster. I think he is the top 2-3 on team against the run. Like JimJones said, probably go without a FB or whatever it takes to keep Poona. I think perhaps Jackson is on the hot seat to make the team. A lot hinges on what's up with D Jordon. The old adage "you can't make the club from the tub".

UGotHawked

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2jjqs4bn said:

If "Low man wins," tell me, how would you even get lower than Poona? Good luck with that! :lol:

Mojambo

Reaction score
I hope they can find some way to keep Ford and Jefferson. I'd rather see both of them on this team than Branden Jackson.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Little known fact about Poona, he was originally committed to Louisville and HC Charlie Strong out of high school, before Strong went to Texas and Poona flipped to the Longhorns. Strong's DL coach at Louisville at the time was none other than current Seahawks DL coach Clint Hurtt, so there's a genuine connection there and I wouldn't doubt that Poona's own position coach is a huge advocate for him internally right now.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2nscrnav said:
Little known fact about Poona, he was originally committed to Louisville and HC Charlie Strong out of high school, before Strong went to Texas and Poona flipped to the Longhorns. Strong's DL coach at Louisville at the time was none other than current Seahawks DL coach Clint Hurtt, so there's a genuine connection there and I wouldn't doubt that Poona's own position coach is a huge advocate for him internally right now.
Great observation and I think the team will find a way to stash him. At the minimum, the team can IR him if need be.

Jville

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":16zdumid said:

Interesting background information. Good to know. Thanks for posting. :2thumbs:

This is only Clint Hurtt's second year in Seattle. So, any transition to Hurtt's preferred mix of player attributes will become clearer as he proceeds with his second year of personnel decisions. Seems to me that an emphasis on hand fighting, maturity and coach ability has been enhanced since his arrival.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Poona has to make the team, if they cut him he will quickly be picked up by another team.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Interesting that Poona Ford was measured at 5-11 & 5/8" and is listed on the Seahawks roster as 5'-11"; at the same time, RW is listed on the Seahawks roster as 5'-11" and is actually 5'-10-5/8". How come=?

""Ford measured in at 5-foot-11 5/8/306 pounds, with an 80 1/4 inch wingspan—which is the same as a 6-foot-8 man.""
per: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Bol ... -114100524

--IMO: Poona Ford is the real deal regardless of his height (just like RW, who makes up for being short with his large hands and want to, Ford makes up for his height with his unusual & significant length and want to.)

Bold prediction: Ford will be on the team at least as a rotational nose tackle/injury hedge at a minimum & a major 1-st year contributor at maximum.
:smilingalien:

kf3339

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":25swczv5 said:

They have Jefferson as a DE on the depth charts, not DT. So add Ford to the DT rotation and move Jefferson to the DE group and we are good to go.

sutz

Reaction score
kf3339":clcnmifx said:
MontanaHawk05":clcnmifx said:

They have Jefferson as a DE on the depth charts, not DT. So add Ford to the DT rotation and move Jefferson to the DE group and we are good to go.
Not totally sure, but it looks like guys are gonna get moved around a lot on the DL based on situation. Out of 9-10 guys, we may only have 4-5 that are DT-only or DE-only anyway. So far, Poona looks like a keeper to me, and I would bet a dollar to a donut he gets a lot of reps Friday night to prove himself.