Will Alex McGough Win the Back-Up QB Job?

Will Alex McGough Win the Back-Up QB Job?

• Yes

Votes: 65 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 22.6%

• Total voters

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Very simple question. Will McGough win the back-up QB job? Add your thoughts regarding that below.

I've been thinking about this over the past couple of games. I dunno honestly ... but right now I'm leaning towards Yes at this moment. McGough has looked pretty good for the most part this whole preseason -- especially over the last couple of games. He's made rookie mistakes (such as the interception tonight) ... but that's to be expected for a rookie (especially at rookie QB). I really like his overall skillset. In a lot of ways, his skills mirror those of Russell Wilson. He's a smart kid (you can see that). For being a rookie, he has a surprising presence and command in the huddle. You can see that real in charge attitude -- the guys listen to him. He stands pretty fearless in the pocket, moves around well, and seems to have a fairly good sense of when to take off. He's got good scrambling ability and elusiveness. I loved that juke move that he put on the defender tonight. He seems to have a fairly accurate arm ... and from my standpoint pretty good arm strength. One other thing that I really like about this kid is (what I would term) a short term memory (which is really good for a QB to have). He made the mistake with the interception ... but then bounced right back on the next series, leading the team right down the field for the touchdown. That shows resiliency -- impressive for a rookie. He looks like a poor man's Russell Wilson. Those are exactly the qualities that you ideally want in a back-up QB on this team. I cannot believe this kid was not invited to the Combine.

Don't get me wrong. McGough is a rookie. He's raw. He needs more polish. BUT ... IMO he's in the perfect situation and environment. Russell Wilson is one of those rare athletes (like an Emmitt Smith or a Marcus Allen) that just always seemed to never take the killer shot. He knows how to avoid serious hits and how to fall to avoid serious injury, so knock on wood, there is an excellent chance that the back-up QB on this team isn't going to see the field all that often anyway. IMO, might as well give McGough a chance. I know conventional wisdom says that you put a kid like this on the practice squad. I get it and in theory I agree. BUT ... I also think that with what this kid has shown this Preseason ... he's not going to make it to the practice squad. If you cut him, some team is going to gobble him up. Austin Davis has really not looked good at all. Period. He's a decent NFL back-up ... but I've never really been all that blown away by his game. He's the quintessential prototypical game manager. When I look at McGough, on the other hand, I can see him really developing in 2 to 3 years time. Long winded answer to say, at this moment I'm leaning toward McGough winning the back-up QB job.

Thoughts?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
McGough was exciting again but also wild with near picks and holding onto the ball far too long. i certainly like McGough’s raw potential, gamesmanship, arm, and athleticism better than Austin Davis’s.

However, Schottenheimer likes and trusts Davis. He has a lot more experience with the playbook, and apparently that shows in the QB room. I think they believe they can keep all three QBs if they want to (with Mr. McGough on the practice squad).

I also think there is a growing sense that they may need a better backup QB, but those options will be slim and will take time they don’t have to learn the offense enough to be dependable during Week 1.

Basically, I think it’s a non-competition. But it’s good that McGough continues to show potential.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
McGough wins, but the team signs or trades for another experienced QB to replace him.

getnasty

Reaction score
Even though he should win I think they'll try to put him on the practice squad and develop him. As underwhelming as Davis has been he has experience and has won some games in this league.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't think they'll sign anybody else. PS is a possibility but depending on cap differential, I could easily see them keeping Mcgough. The team has shown a willingness to roll with a risky situation as backup QB.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I think they cut Davis and keep McGough. McGough seems like he has more upside than Trevon Boykin and they once rolled with Boykin as the backup. Like someone else said, this team isn’t winning many games without Russell Wilson. Might as well give the rookie with potential the job over the guy who has hit his ceiling, and not a high one at that.

sutz

Reaction score
We no longer have a rookie starting QB. We don't really need a veteran backup. :34853_doh:

What we need is a bright young prospect we can train up and trade in a year or two for a 3rd.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
He has done enough to win the job, however, he probably won’t win.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Our back up wont br on the roster until the cuts start happening. He has earned a PS spot though.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I will be the contrarian who thinks Davis makes the squad. Not because I think he is great but he has NFL starts under his belt and familiarity with Schottenheimer. I think Alex makes the practice squad. He will not be picked off by another team and he can develop there.
He has shown a strong arm and decent athleticism but he has a long ways to go.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I agree that a veteran experienced QB is preferable. Definitely. Totally agreed. In an ideal world, that's precisely what I'd do. That's exactly what I would be doing were I in Schneider's shoes.

BUT (and it's a big but) ... if you really look at the market ... really good experienced back-up QB's are few and far between. They are a hot commodity. There aren't many of them out there.

And I'd say that's undoubtedly exactly what John Schneider is trying to do. I.e -- the reports out there that the Hawks offered a 2nd Round Pick for Jacoby Brissett (an offer that was reportedly turned down BTW) ...
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...olts-a-second-round-pick-for-jacoby-brissett/

That completely underscores what I'm saying. They are a ridiculously high commodity simply because there aren't many good ones out there.

So, you're going to pay through the nose to get one. The pricetag is way high.

OR ... you take the gamble and develop your own. In a couple of years, you may have another Jacoby Brissett -- right there already on your own roster (without having to spend an insane amount to get one) -- if you keep him and allow him to develop (and yes, of course, pray like crazy he never sees the field. LOL!) That's why I'm personally leaning towards rolling the dice and keeping McGough. [I'm currently like 50.5% Keep McGough ... vs. 49.5% look for an experienced backup]. Austin Davis sure doesn't look like the answer right now, that's for sure.

Here's another problem to really consider ...

This team has not carried 3 QB's on the roster in the Pete Carroll era. So, in all likelihood, they are going to carry just 2 QB's on the roster. That means McGough gets cut in that scenario. YES -- a guy like McGough is one you ideally cut and then try to sneak onto the practice squad. Here's the problem with that -- the other 31 teams out there. I believe there are still several teams who still carry 3 QB's on the roster (in fact I'd say most still carry 3 QB's). There's no way McGough makes it through waivers. He's shown enough that some other team will pounce on him quick and nab him IMO. If you cut him and try to sneak him through waivers to the practice squad ... I'm saying in all likelihood he's gone.

So therein lies the problem. What do you do? Personally, I'm leaning towards keeping McGough.

nrayorr

Reaction score
jammerhawk":301766h9 said:
McGough wins, but the team signs or trades for another experienced QB to replace him.
:ditto:
I'm not particularly impressed with either of them which is why I agree that we should sign another veteran at this position, cut Davis and put McGough on the practice squad.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Didn't we cut Austin Davis before and go with Trevone Boykin as back-up when HE was a rookie? I think with Alex's potential and high ceiling, they'll do it again this time around. It just makes more sense and they're already without a 2nd round draft pick in next year's draft so why gamble away another draft pick just for 1-2 years of production? I'm really rooting for Alex to win the backup spot, I think he has the potential to be great.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I do not see McGoo making it thru waivers. I do see another team vying for his services. In the league and CFL there are very few great starting qBs much less decent backup ones. There in lies your answer. He either will be kept or be picked up on the Waiver Wire. We would be better off with a QB that we can groom than one that we know has hit a ceiling.

He has shown a finesse that is a great asset for a training QB coach. I say we groom him to the next level of our needs and if worse comes to worse, we can have another starter or trade bait.

Jville

Reaction score
Love the enthusiasm for the subject. But, I'll abstain. The question is a bit premature.

Pre-season game #4 has, at times, had a significant impact on who gets the backup job.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Practice Squad. He’s shown good potential but his stats are terrible and he’s really raw.

chris98251

Reaction score
McGough has a simplified playbook right now, they had stated he was having some difficulty picking it all up, that leans in Austin Davis's favor, with what McGough has had to work with he has shown flashes of being able to do all the things you want in a starter and back up, make all the throws, have the game slow down enough to make something out of nothing and most of all not panic. Watching them huddle last night when the camera was on them he shut down players talking and called plays yet acknowledged the player at the same time, that's leadership and respect in the huddle. He trusts his arm and is willing to put the ball in a tight window as well, the Moore Catch on the sideline for his touchdown is a good example of placement and trusting himself.

He has been making plays in the context of the offense and not so much busted plays like Boykin running for yards, even on his scramble where he juked the guy he went out of bounds rather then up field, I think that's a coaching thing where he was told to play smart and come back for another play. Boykin I think would have taken it up field, there was a hole to take a step up for more yards.

Not sure he makes it through waivers, his demeanor and mostly his proven arm will make other teams look at him from the film. Davis is a known commodity and has Schotty's trust and knows the whole playbook, McGough was uninvited to the combine so there is less known about him, but he is making a case for himself being a player that can play in the league. Injuries and play of more experienced back ups on the other teams is what will be the difference. McGough has not crashed and burned so to speak, other coaches may see that and think he is an option that may be better then what they already have.