Slow Starts Again This Year?

MO Hawk

Reaction score
It seems like last year we had the habit of giving up a lot at the beginning of the game and getting ourself in a hole early.

That means playing catch up the rest of the game and maybe having to change the game plan early.

There were elements of that last night where we started on offense with 3 and out while Minnesota put on 2 impressive 1st half drives. Why can't we do that?

I thought last year maybe it was the OC or overall coaching, but all of that has changed. So is it Pete's fault we keep getting off to a poor start in the 1st quarter? Hope this get's fixed before the regular season starts.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
MO Hawk":1s2t41rk said:
It seems like last year we had the habit of giving up a lot at the beginning of the game and getting ourself in a hole early.

That means playing catch up the rest of the game and maybe having to change the game plan early.

There were elements of that last night where we started on offense with 3 and out while Minnesota put on 2 impressive 1st half drives. Why can't we do that?

I thought last year maybe it was the OC or overall coaching, but all of that has changed. So is it Pete's fault we keep getting off to a poor start in the 1st quarter? Hope this get's fixed before the regular season starts.

We opened with a three and out and an impressive drive for a touchdown of our own.

sutz

Reaction score
Probably too early to panic, but yeah, you could make a case that we were lucky to not be down by 14 after the first quarter. Giving up first downs on 3rd and long continues to be a tradition, at least in the first quarter.

Get on it, Coach Norton!

In all fairness, it got better in the 2d Qtr and on. ;)

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":33bgo7lq said:
Probably too early to panic, but yeah, you could make a case that we were lucky to not be down by 14 after the first quarter. Giving up first downs on 3rd and long continues to be a tradition, at least in the first quarter.

Get on it, Coach Norton!

In all fairness, it got better in the 2d Qtr and on. ;)

It did get better. One thing I'm hoping for this season is that we play as well in the 1st quarter as we do in the 4th quarter. My poor heart can't take those nail biters in the 4th where we come storming back and fans have mass anxiety wondering if we can get ahead before the clock runs out.

Just like to have more games in the bag going into the 4th quarter and hold on to the lead.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Not too worried. It may have been preseason but it seemed like playoff atmosphere at times in USBank stadium.
During the first half the fans (looked like 80% vikings) reached 110+ decibels when Seahawks were on offense for 1st and 3rd downs. The offense got to the line quicker than in recent years and didn't have false start issues. I recalled Russell needing a timeout once and another issue with Britt not knowing when to hike on the silent count.. but overall not too bad.
The defense is fast but gotta tackle better and gotta watch those RB leaking out on shallow routes. Shaquille vs Diggs was a good matchup to see (both are midseason form). Mingo was everywhere it seems and will be a playmaker for us this year. Mike Tyson isnt a fighter. He gave up too much space then tried to make up ground but couldn't stay with Chad Beebe on that final td.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think we should go away from deferring the ball this year. This defense isn't great and I would love to not be in an immediate hole to start the game. Our offense looks to be improved by a lot too as long as Ifedi can keep showing improved play.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
They flushed the 2 turd coaches responsible for the slow starts, who shall remain nameless.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1aiejo4f said:
I think we should go away from deferring the ball this year. This defense isn't great and I would love to not be in an immediate hole to start the game. Our offense looks to be improved by a lot too as long as Ifedi can keep showing improved play.
I agree somewhat but, I’ve always liked getting the ball first in the 2nd half.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":7tkt2ne7 said:
They flushed the 2 turd coaches responsible for the slow starts, who shall remain nameless.

Can you at least give us a hint? :mrgreen:

sutz

Reaction score
Natethegreat":10vygo43 said:
Sorry, but no. Bad strategy.