Tanner McEvoy waived

nanomoz

Reaction score
I wonder if he could have had more success if groomed as a strong safety.

Fade

Reaction score
I am willing to bet he went to the Seahawks and asked for his release. He knew he wasn't making the team.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I am always going to wonder what could have been with this one.

Maybe we never made the jump because we had Kam but he had a better shot making SS than TE.

Jville

Reaction score
Fade":155ybcr9 said:
I am willing to bet he went to the Seahawks and asked for his release. He knew he wasn't making the team.

IMO, that would seem to be well within the realm of possibilities. When reviewing the game video in slow mode, I thought his sideline facial and body language suggested a realization that he had lost his bid for a spot. I'm certain it showed up in the coaches review as well. Really sad to see anyone look that defeated. Hopefully, he will snap out of it and move on to try again somewhere else. Choosing an early release was the best course of action for everyone.

I wish Tanner McEvoy all the best where ever he goes.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I've always felt part of the reason for keeping McEvoy was because of his height. But it looks like the 'Hawks are going to keep Marshall and thus Mc became expendable.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I really do not understand what everyone saw in McEvoy beyond two nice trick plays in 2016. He's an unathletic white guy with unreliable hands and not enough speed to play DB. That pick against the Vikings was his drop.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I think this ensures Marshall's spot on the roster. I think he and Marshall were in competition for one spot, and PCJS saw what they needed Friday.

sutz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1mmkl0ke said:
I really do not understand what everyone saw in McEvoy beyond two nice trick plays in 2016. He's an unathletic white guy with unreliable hands and not enough speed to play DB. That pick against the Vikings was his drop.
Not a lot of people seemed to see that, or at least comment on it. Hell, Magoo hit him in the hands. :229031_shrug:

I've had sort of lukewarm support for Tanner in the past, but he has shown nothing this year worth keeping him for. We have far better options at TE and WR...and at safety for that matter.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":37rn91zl said:

What does "white guy" have to do with it? :D

UGotHawked

Reaction score
sutz":1ih021ai said:
MontanaHawk05":1ih021ai said:
Not a lot of people seemed to see that, or at least comment on it. Hell, Magoo hit him in the hands. :229031_shrug:

I've had sort of lukewarm support for Tanner in the past, but he has shown nothing this year worth keeping him for. We have far better options at TE and WR...and at safety for that matter.

I sure did! I am not gonna eat "Magoo's" lunch over that throw. He was trying to make a play. It was late and over the middle, but that is a teachable thing. However, those are the ones you need your WR to fight for his QB, and that didn't happen. After the drops of last year, I was done with him after this play.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
He didnt show any potential at all last year and has been invisible so far in the pre season. When the FO make a move like this it restores my faith in them. Great move imo!

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
To me, the mistake here was that the Seahawks tried to develop him at the wrong position. I never saw a potential WR, as McEvoy is too much of a linear one-speed guy who can't separate from CB's and who plays much 'shorter' than his 6-6 height due to his T-Rex arms (31") and limited catch radius -- he never was able to adjust to throws that weren't right in the middle of his strike zone. I always felt that he should have been developed on the practice squad (as he bulked up) as a flex-TE similar to Jimmy Graham's role. Not that that would have necessarily worked out either, I just felt the odds would have been better there. We'll see if another club tries to go that route with McEvoy now.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He was a player who truly never mastered a position.

Premium size and some early catches allowed him to keep a roster spot here for two season when it was becoming clear he was not good at getting the separation needed for playing WR as a pro.

I suspect that he did ask for his release so he could get his name in front of a few teams as an available big WR.

Thanks for your time here Tanner good luck going forward.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3k9ftjr7 said:

The answer is contained within your own words. He was the avatar of many fans ;)

Jville

Reaction score
:thumbdown: There are times when I wish there was more mutual respect among humans. Greater civility.

This is one of them.

mrt144

Reaction score
Jville":2fooguhf said:
:thumbdown: There are times when I wish there was more mutual respect among humans. Greater civility.

This is one of them.

Your new player avatar is... *pulls name out of hat* Michael Dickson! OI!

olyfan63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1zbsnrr4 said:
I really do not understand what everyone saw in McEvoy beyond two nice trick plays in 2016. --snip-- That pick against the Vikings was his drop.

Yup, on replay that ball looked catchable. Shades of Jerome Kearse in the 2014 NFCCG vs Packers...
I was a McEvoy fan, but he hasn't done nearly enough to justify a roster spot on this team.

What did we see? A story, a narrative, a potential, but it started to become clear the story simply wasn't going to come true here. He didn't find his niche here.

Maybe McEvoy's best plan to stay in the NFL, if his frame supports it, would be to bulk up and become a TE.
Did love that preseason TD catch on the last play of the game, I think vs. KC and thrown by that athletic QB with no common sense. Forgot his name already, good riddance on him for sure.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I liked Tanner or rather the idea of what he could be.
I believe this is a failure in player development on the
Hawks part.
You cannot get everyone right but someone else may
be able to,There is just not enough space to try him
anywhere else here.