2017 Run Gap Integrity - A Lack of

ivotuk

Reaction score
Listening to Danny Dave and Moore hour 3 from Monday (about 35 minutes in), Wyman said that this years defense "Will be better just by the discipline alone!" And that run gap integrity was "out of control last year."

He went on to say that "You can do those kinds of things occasionally, but just let your linebackers know." Then they referred to KJ Wright's earlier comment about "this may be the best group on the DLine." Dave said "Cortez used to do stuff like that, but he'd let his linebackers know, and he'd make a play! If you're going to freelance, you'd better make a play!"

Reading between the lines, and putting it together with other things that they said, it looks like some of the guys (Sheldon Richardson) were freelancing last year, and not telling their linebackers. Wyman mentioned that there were a couple of games last year that "except for a couple of long runs" But with no gap integrity, those long runs will happen.

"Those guys last year weren't playing team defense. Looks like "those guys" are gone.

I've noticed this year that there are a lot of comments about the current group of young guys is "humble," "asks questions," "stays late," and "pays attention in meetings."

I saw a big difference in the run defense against the Vikings. I think the run defense this year is going to be much better than last year, and if we get Dion Jordan back, I'm not worried about the pass rush.

sutz

Reaction score
Very interesting. Perhaps the reasons for the rebuild really were about performance on the field. :snack:

I know that a lot of our 3rd down problem was often that we gave up a lot of 6, 7, and 8 yard plays on first down. Yeah, we failed on 3rd and long, too, and that's a problem, but we also had tons of 3rd and short situations.

Plus, like you-well the guy you're qouting-pointed out, "if you go off script, you had better make something happen" and that certainly was a problem last season.

Lwrb25

Reaction score
A few times against the Vikings, they game planned for SH going a bit rogue it seemed/or at least they knew what he would do. I wonder if this is thta

cymatica

Reaction score
Richardson, in an interview a year ago, said it was more of a freelance style here, as opposed to his time with the Jets. He sure indicated that's how they were being coached. I remember him saying that very early in the season or preseason. So either he was full of it, or it was being coached.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
cymatica":134efwpy said:
Richardson, in an interview a year ago, said it was more of a freelance style here, as opposed to his time with the Jets. He sure indicated that's how they were being coached. I remember him saying that very early in the season or preseason. So either he was full of it, or it was being coached.

I'm in the "He Was Full Of It" crowd, as the Seahawks obviously didn't go out of their way to try and keep him on the roster.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
ivotuk":2m5tck36 said:
Listening to Danny Dave and Moore hour 3 from Monday (about 35 minutes in), Wyman said that this years defense "Will be better just by the discipline alone!" And that run gap integrity was "out of control last year."

He went on to say that "You can do those kinds of things occasionally, but just let your linebackers know." Then they referred to KJ Wright's earlier comment about "this may be the best group on the DLine." Dave said "Cortez used to do stuff like that, but he'd let his linebackers know, and he'd make a play! If you're going to freelance, you'd better make a play!"

Reading between the lines, and putting it together with other things that they said, it looks like some of the guys (Sheldon Richardson) were freelancing last year, and not telling their linebackers. Wyman mentioned that there were a couple of games last year that "except for a couple of long runs" But with no gap integrity, those long runs will happen.

"Those guys last year weren't playing team defense. Looks like "those guys" are gone.

I've noticed this year that there are a lot of comments about the current group of young guys is "humble," "asks questions," "stays late," and "pays attention in meetings."

I saw a big difference in the run defense against the Vikings. I think the run defense this year is going to be much better than last year, and if we get Dion Jordan back, I'm not worried about the pass rush.

I actually thought our pass rush has been pretty good this pre-season, even when we only send 4. Looking forward to seeing some productive blitzing this year. Been seeing a lot of positive things on the field, in the sense that it seems like the Defense has bought in again. They seem to want to get better are energized and care.

The SR freelancing explains a lot. I don't think he was a bust like many on here do. I actually think he played well through much of the season but if he was freelancing just to get stats, that is very discouraging. D-Line is basically the LBs offensive-Line and freelancing is a big no no and taboo, especially in the NFL. Unless, like Wyman said, you are communicating with the LBs.

Of course Tez get's to freelance. The play is over before it get's to the linebackers.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ivotuk":hl0725ml said:

He did make a play. We owe three or four wins to him, at least partially.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Wyman talked a lot about Gap-integrity at the end of last year. Especially noting that Bennett was constantly running upfield in an effort to get a sack and not playing his lanes. Add that to what SR has said, and what we've heard this pre-season, makes me think we'll have a much better run defense this year again.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":23087yw0 said:
ivotuk":23087yw0 said:

LOL! He should have been kicking the field goals.

The interview with Jarran Reed, he danced around the question a little, but I think he confirmed it also.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I recall last season there observations by Pete and numerous outsiders that the reason why the Hawks were being repeatedly gashed by running attacks was a lack of gap discipline. This was even the subject of some acknowledgement by Coach Richard who never seemed to get it completely under control. Some defensive players were unwilling to do their job and were freelancing hunting sacks or pressures at the cost of making the DLine vulnerable because of the their failure to protect their gap or do the dirty work of their own job. Two of those players are no longer on the team.

I suspect we will see improvement this season.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
When we traded Bennett away I expressed that we would probably be the better for it. Not due to 'chemistry' or politics, due to his constantly lining up offsides or jumping early, turning long 3rd downs to short ones or 1st downs, and his lack of being able to successfully get a call when he was being held by the O-line. Add the gap integrity and lack of discipline to that and I think we're definitely greater by subtraction.

DJrmb

Reaction score
If anyone is interested here is an interview where KJ Wright reaffirms his statement from training camp that "This is the best D-line he's played behind". (@1:30 in the video)

https://www.seahawks.com/video/k-j-in-game-interview-at-vikings

KJ has said this twice now, once in training camp, and then again during the interview above. I think it's telling that he's not saying that they "might" be the best but he's saying they "are" the best.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2yh1h0jt said:
ivotuk":2yh1h0jt said:

LOL....Riiiiight. Between S Richardson, and those lost TD from Graham and the other Richardson we are down to zero wins in your book.

152 yards rushing in 2 1/2 quarters to the friggen Rams at home.....42-7??? :141847_bnono: :177692:
Damn rights these guys weren't playing team defense!! Glad they are BOTH gone! :pukeface:

adeltaY

Reaction score
GeekHawk":519zagq0 said:
When we traded Bennett away I expressed that we would probably be the better for it. Not due to 'chemistry' or politics, due to his constantly lining up offsides or jumping early, turning long 3rd downs to short ones or 1st downs, and his lack of being able to successfully get a call when he was being held by the O-line. Add the gap integrity and lack of discipline to that and I think we're definitely greater by subtraction.

Bennett was elite against the run. I get the frustrations with the offside penalties, but I'm not sure how you can question his quality as a run defender. He was good enough to be the best defensive player in 2015 on a team that was loaded on D at the time. I really hope we don't revise history to minimize his role in making this defense great.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
No doubt that MB and Richardson left their gaps too much, but Bobby and KJ did that more than normal last year as well especially early in the year.... but they did clean it up as the season wore on where the other 2 didn’t.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":31fcyb3s said:
Bennett was elite against the run.

Considering how often we got gashed last year, nobody was "elite against the run". :roll: That's like telling me we had a good kicking game last year.