Tyler Lockett gets Extension

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I like it! 3 years, 31.8 mil, 20 guaranteed, could be up to 37. I never trust the #'s when they come out, but that's what is being reported.

DJrmb

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1034829981472501762[/tweet]

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
thx for posting that, I don't have Twitter, but just heard it announced on 710 :2thumbs:
A bunch of people saying this is a stupid deal by the front office in 3.......2........1........... :lol: :stirthepot:

sutz

Reaction score
I like it! We have a lot invested in him over his rookie deal. Nice to see him stick around.

:2thumbs:

Seymour

Reaction score
I like that they signed him, but to pay him considerably more than they offered Tate is both ridiculous and frankly a bit surprising. :?: :?: :?:

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I dig it too, but I'm just a "homer"
And proud of it :irishdrinkers:

Tate was YEARS ago, the WR money now is so much more than it was back then for contacts.

sutz

Reaction score
Seymour":1cl7dsof said:
I like that they signed him, but to pay him considerably more than they offered Tate is both ridiculous and frankly a bit surprising. :?: :?: :?:
Maybe they realized that Tate was a mistake? Or maybe Tate didn't want to stay at any price.

And Tate happened a couple of years ago. The market changes.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seymour":3ep7n5s9 said:

Mad just the numbers for cap increase then see if the argument holds water

Seymour

Reaction score
sutz":y9epjapj said:
Seymour":y9epjapj said:
Maybe they realized that Tate was a mistake? Or maybe Tate didn't want to stay at any price.

Not the case. Tate would have stayed for around $6-7M per year. Pete even commented that it was disappointing he never got their best offer for some weird reason? Lockett making near double that is not inflation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I love this because it means Pete and John think Tyler's 100% off his injury.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":2ft9k7c9 said:
sutz":2ft9k7c9 said:
Seymour":2ft9k7c9 said:

Not the case. Tate would have stayed for around $6-7M per year. Pete even commented that it was disappointing he never got their best offer for some weird reason? Lockett making near double that is not inflation.

Dude, that was years ago. The salary cap has increased substantially since that time, and so have player salaries.

Comparing a WR salary today to a WR salary from 2014 is clueless.

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Now let's get Coleman locked up. That was one hell of a great trade by this front office. For next to nothing. He has proven to be a very good slot corner, and very consistent.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3fl3l65x said:
Seymour":3fl3l65x said:
sutz":3fl3l65x said:
Seymour":3fl3l65x said:

Dude, that was years ago. The salary cap has increased substantially since that time, and so have player salaries.

Your post is totally clueless. WR salaries HAVE NOT doubled in 4 years! :roll:

Also Baldwin recently signed for just about $1M per year more than that for a more recent comparison and Baldwin got 12M guaranteed and Lockett just got $20M!

iigakusei

Reaction score
Those numbers don't make sense and I am guessing they are wrong.
Maybe it is for four years?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":2vcmzxnq said:
hawknation2018":2vcmzxnq said:
Seymour":2vcmzxnq said:
sutz":2vcmzxnq said:

Your post is totally clueless. WR salaries HAVE NOT doubled in 3 years! :roll:

Also Baldwin recently signed for just about $1M per year more than that for a more recent comparison.

Today, the Top 20 WRs all average over $11 million per year. Odell Beckham recently reset the market with an average annual salary of $18 million.

Four years ago (not 3 :roll: ) in 2014, the 20th paid WR averaged $5.4 million per year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/ca ... -receiver/

No one compares new contracts to contracts from 2014. That is an apples to oranges discussion that has NOTHING to do with this deal.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Seymour":1p49o5p3 said:
hawknation2018":1p49o5p3 said:
Seymour":1p49o5p3 said:
sutz":1p49o5p3 said:

Your post is totally clueless. WR salaries HAVE NOT doubled in 4 years! :roll:

Also Baldwin recently signed for just about $1M per year more than that for a more recent comparison and Baldwin got 12M guaranteed and Lockett just got $20M!

In 2014, there were 5 WRs making $10MM+ per year. In 2018, you have 14 WRs currently slotted to make $10MM+ per year. That's a healthy increase.

To go further than that, the league's top 20 WR contracts in 2018 are going for a minimum of $9MM. Your 20th top paid WR in 2014 was Jeremy Maclin with a cap hit of $5.5MM.

No, it's not double, but that is a BIG increase in salaries going to WR over 4 years.

Edit: Looks like hawknation beat me :p

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3kbb97ck said:
Seymour":3kbb97ck said:
hawknation2018":3kbb97ck said:
Seymour":3kbb97ck said:

Your post is totally clueless. WR salaries HAVE NOT doubled in 3 years! :roll:

Also Baldwin recently signed for just about $1M per year more than that for a more recent comparison.

The Top 20 WRs all average over $11 million per year. Odell Beckham recently reset the market with an average annual salary of $18 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/ca ... -receiver/

No one compares new contracts to contracts from 2014. That is an apples to oranges discussion that has NOTHING to do with this deal.

Give it up! Lockett is not a top 20 receiver. :177692:

And he does not deserve $20M guaranteed when Baldwin just got $12M. :roll:

He is now within $1m per year of Baldwin.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Just admit you're wrong and move on, Seymour. Salaries and labor markets don't operate in a vacuum.