Last time we didn’t win a game in pre-season?

rjdriver

Reaction score
Never.

Crazy. I know it doesn’t mean anything but I found it interesting nonetheless

In 1976 we lost 5 pre-season games, but we had 6 for some reason and won one of them according to profootballreference.com

In 2012 and 2013, we were undefeated at 4-0

Again, probably doesn’t matter, but it would have been nice to win at least one.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
So your saying Seattle's never gone 0-4 in the preseason . I didn't know that and it's uncharted territory so it could mean anything.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Lions went 4-0 in the preseason a few years back and went 0-16 in the regular season.

Proof that preseason records have ZERO to do with the regular season.

Seafan

Reaction score
rjdriver":lfuuihgt said:
Never.

Crazy. I know it doesn’t mean anything but I found it interesting nonetheless

In 1976 we lost 5 pre-season games, but we had 6 for some reason and won one of them according to profootballreference.com

In 2012 and 2013, we were undefeated at 4-0

Again, probably doesn’t matter, but it would have been nice to win at least one.

Prior to 1977 the NFL had a 14 game regular season and 6 game preseason.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Aros":1a2py7al said:
Lions went 4-0 in the preseason a few years back and went 0-16 in the regular season.

Proof that preseason records have ZERO to do with the regular season.

your conclusion isn't necessarily wrong, but using a single team to back it up isn't the strongest of statistical support. Shoot, I'll throw in the 0-16 Browns, who also went 4-0 in preseason and that's still only two data points (albeit the only winless teams, though the difference between 3-13 and 0-16 isn't enormous)

Someone on FG did the math and said the regular season win percentage for winless preseason teams was 0.397, which is about six wins. Take that for what you will.

niveky

Reaction score
I think that in the short term it could mean that if we see much of our back ups in for long periods in regular games that it could be painful to watch. Depending on the how much potential of their backups is actually realized further down the road, then possibly it could pay dividends further down the road.

xray

Reaction score
0-4 does matter. This is a barometer that can't be ignored, unless your name is Pete Carroll. He just loves what he sees like always. He better pull something out of this. They had a 90 man roster and really only added depth at RB and WR but with not much depth on the OL it won't matter. So many things look just like last year. 3rd down play on both sides look weak. Red zone offense not good. -2 turnover ratio. And now 2 missed PAT. And of course injuries eveywhere. I hope I am wrong but I would take an 8-8 season right now. :!:

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
xray":1u2uzjcx said:
0-4 does matter. This is a barometer that can't be ignored, unless your name is Pete Carroll. He just loves what he sees like always. He better pull something out of this. They had a 90 man roster and really only added depth at RB and WR but with not much depth on the OL it won't matter. So many things look just like last year. 3rd down play on both sides look weak. Red zone offense not good. -2 turnover ratio. And now 2 missed PAT. And of course injuries eveywhere. I hope I am wrong but I would take an 8-8 season right now. :!:

You say it does matter and that it's a barometer that cannot be ignored, but then nothing to justify that assertion ... WHY do you think it matters? (I don't), I think the preseason is the one time that winning means you're getting to look at all the important position battles, youngsters are absorbing the material and nobody is getting hurt while losing on the scoreboard just gives an added urgency to what the coaches are saying.

Sure it woulda been nice to win the at home games for all the people that paid their money see us play, but our preseason record is completely irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
It's pretty much an indication of how big of a drop-off of talent between the starters and the backups. And our starters on D aren't all that great as is. Just hope and pray to your gods that the injury bug dies at the shores of the VMAC.