OL Jordan Simmons claimed by the Seahawks

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GehlkenNFL/status/1036311577803120640[/tweet]

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Any OL who has fallen out of favor with Cable is a positive in my eyes :)

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
He dealt with a lot of injuries throughout his career. Was a top HS prospect but didn’t play a lot in college at USC.

James in PA

Reaction score
Rees Odhi gone to make room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
No pressures allowed by Simmons in over 40 passing snaps this preseason.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I’m a little wary of bringing in every former USC and Washington player another team drops but this one looks like a great move. Solaris is already treating guys for cable exposure so this is the best possible landing for Simmons to get back on track.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
brimsalabim":37xo8utj said:
I’m a little wary of bringing in every former USC and Washington player another team drops but this one looks like a great move. Solaris is already treating guys for cable exposure so this is the best possible landing for Simmons to get back on track.

PCSD...Post Cable Stress Disorder

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seems like they traded for another Rees Odhiambo type. If you look at their measurables, as posted in another thread, it's about dead even. Simmons has more weight but about the same strength as Rees (both put up 23 bench presses). So if that was the issue before, it may still be with Simmons.

Simmons-Odhiambo measurables comparison, courtesy of Pandion H.

Odhiambo 6’5, 314
Simmons 6’4, 339

Arm Length
Odhiambo: 33 1/3 in
Simmons: NA

Hand Size
O: 9 5/8 in
S: NA

10 yard split
Odhiambo: 1.84s
Simmons: 1.83s (5.21 Forty YD)

Bench
Odhiambo: 23
Simmons: 23

Vert
O: 27 in
S: 25 in

Broad
O: 7’09”
S: 8’03”

20 Yard Shuttle
O: 4.69 s
S: 4.86 s

3-Cone
O: 8.09s
S: 8.03s

I guess the positive is that Simmons would have Solari for his coach so he may thrive in that environment.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Simmons is the stronger, more physical blocker.

But my expectations are low for this pick. Mostly because Simmons is so inexperienced and injury prone.

I’m just relieved that Odhiambo will not be taking up a roster spot. The unknown of Simmons is more valuable than the known of Ohdbiambo.

Atradees

Reaction score
Solari likes em big........hopefully we can continue to weed out and pare down the OL talent on the roster. Battle is gone, Ombidao is gone...Just keep churning until we have a big nastry run blocking OL. You give that to Wilson and get him releasing the ball faster and we can go far. Simmons had a good preseason.

j hawk

Reaction score
Rewatched the game with the Raiders keeping my eye only on Simmons. He is big,long arms,can move people. He had one penalty of hands to the face with Puna Ford. Greene got by him on a pass rush but Greene didn't get home. For the most part Simmons was great on pass-pro and good on the run game. Moving away from Cable should really help his game. Very happy for him to be a Hawk.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I keep flip-flopping on this one, but I think it might be a good move. It looks like he's been healthy the last 2 years.

Initially I thought maybe he was injury prone, but his injury in College came during a silly OLine-Dline drill.

"During a light Monday practice on Oct.21, there was a one-on-one drill in which offensive and defensive linemen took turns playing wide receiver and cornerback versus each other.

Simmons watched and waited, hoping for his name not to be called. “Papa Chubbs” was his college nickname.

I just had a bad feeling about the drill in general,” Simmons said. “I was like, ‘I don’t need to be doing this.’”

Then he heard it.

Chubbs! You’re up!

Simmons, at well over 300 pounds, played cornerback. He covered a defensive lineman. A quarterback threw a pass short.

Simmons tried to plant his left foot and break up the ball, but his foot stuck to the turf. Torn ACL. Reconstructive surgery. Season over. His road back began.

As a redshirt sophomore in 2014, the knee was not ready.

In 2015, he moved to the defensive line, given the group was thin, but his knee flared up again.

Having barely played since 2011 at Encino High in Los Angeles, he began to wonder if football wasn’t meant to be."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/ra ... fl-chance/

"Simmons started twice for USC after an injury-plagued career. He missed action due to knee injuries each of his first four seasons in Troy, but finally made it through a year without major problems in 2016 as a redshirt senior.

Participating in 13 games and starting against Arizona State and Colorada, Simmons was a valued back up at guard and tackle.
"

https://reignoftroy.com/2017/04/29/jord ... ree-agent/

If he can stay healthy and get some reps, this might be a great pickup that pays off later on in the year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
ivotuk":qyc12fm3 said:
I keep flip-flopping on this one, but I think it might be a good move. It looks like he's been healthy the last 2 years.

Initially I thought maybe he was injury prone, but his injury in College came during a silly OLine-Dline drill.

"During a light Monday practice on Oct.21, there was a one-on-one drill in which offensive and defensive linemen took turns playing wide receiver and cornerback versus each other.

Simmons watched and waited, hoping for his name not to be called. “Papa Chubbs” was his college nickname.

I just had a bad feeling about the drill in general,” Simmons said. “I was like, ‘I don’t need to be doing this.’”

Then he heard it.

Chubbs! You’re up!

Simmons, at well over 300 pounds, played cornerback. He covered a defensive lineman. A quarterback threw a pass short.

Simmons tried to plant his left foot and break up the ball, but his foot stuck to the turf. Torn ACL. Reconstructive surgery. Season over. His road back began.

As a redshirt sophomore in 2014, the knee was not ready.

In 2015, he moved to the defensive line, given the group was thin, but his knee flared up again.

Having barely played since 2011 at Encino High in Los Angeles, he began to wonder if football wasn’t meant to be."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/ra ... fl-chance/

"Simmons started twice for USC after an injury-plagued career. He missed action due to knee injuries each of his first four seasons in Troy, but finally made it through a year without major problems in 2016 as a redshirt senior.

Participating in 13 games and starting against Arizona State and Colorada, Simmons was a valued back up at guard and tackle.
"

https://reignoftroy.com/2017/04/29/jord ... ree-agent/

If he can stay healthy and get some reps, this might be a great pickup that pays off later on in the year.

He applied for a sixth year of eligibility but the geniuses at the NCAA denied it. As you mentioned, he’s been healthy the last two years, so hopefully he can keep that going.