Theory on Earl's holdout

nwHawk

Reaction score
If Earl had started this year with the team and the secondary sucked, he may have had more to loose than just games.

His lack of interceptions and turnovers in general may have been questioned and exploited even further. The LOB was a security blanket that insulated him. Think about how much we've learned about him and his personality since the Cowboys game.

On top of game checks, I think he is concerned about his lasting legacy. I think he wants to be remembered as one of the game's very best - ever. He pushes to be the best, and trains like a beast, but let's face it, this defense is young and loaded with questions.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
If he returns this week, honors his contract, and doesn’t abandon his teammates in the pursuit of more financial gain (that he will NOT receive until after this season), then I will go back to loving Earl Thomas.

He is one of the best safeties to ever play the game and the heart of one of the greatest defenses in NFL history.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Earl wants more guaranteed cash because of what happened to Cliff, Kam and Sherm. Simple as that.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Yxes1122":oy671mn8 said:
Earl wants more guaranteed cash because of what happened to Cliff, Kam and Sherm. Simple as that.

Correct. But it’s not sustainable for the team to contine paying injured/“retired” players not to play (if they can avoid it). Right now, the team can avoid it because Earl is already under contract.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawk_fan2015/status/1036641351033442304[/tweet]

This may be a tease, but I’m praying for cool heads to prevail. If Earl shows up for Week 1 and balls out this year, I think he signs a four-year extension with the Seahawks at around $13.5 million APY (with most of the guaranteed money paid out in the first couple years).

HawkGA

Reaction score
Yxes1122":3kiu502x said:

And Cliff, Kam, and Sherm are exactly why he won't get it.

But to say "what happened to," I'm not exactly shedding tears for them. Especially not for Kam. He's getting paid out pretty well this year and next year for not playing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating. I'm happy for him and would love t have him healthy enough to play. But to think the team is going to get stung like that again is foolish. Not in the salary cap era.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Exactly HawkGA! We don’t have the means left to take that risk. This morning the NFL network GMF show reported that both sides expect to get a deal done soon. For a split second I felt confident but then they mentioned that Earl’s camp said that “ it has always been Earl’s desire to play out his days in Seattle”... yea right.... come get me...

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PeteCarroll/status/1036644279219761152[/tweet]

Feelin’ Free ... Free ... Free Safety ... Free Earl. :D

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I haven’t ruled out the Hawks getting a deal done but in the likelihood this continues there can be a plus situation to be had. I don’t see Earl as a man that would come back week 10 and lay down and not play like we know he can. With that said if the Hawks are as competitive as I think they will be adding a HOF safety for the playoff run could be a huge lift. I don’t think there is any chance that doesn’t help the team.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":3ec2fiz4 said:
Yikes, what a terrible theory

Maybe, but Earl has been outed as a different breed. Might be all about money, but we don't know for sure. He's already made bank, and won a title. Now it's time to focus on legacy and life after football (not that he's close to retirement).

Yxes1122

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2kjj9v6x said:
Yxes1122":2kjj9v6x said:

Correct. But it’s not sustainable for the team to contine paying injured/“retired” players not to play (if they can avoid it). Right now, the team can avoid it because Earl is already under contract.

No I agree with the teams decision. This is a business and Earl is a risky investment at this stage of his career.

I just don’t think it’s anything complicated. The situation is simple to me. And the team is handling it exactly right.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I just want to make sure I have my facts straight.

1. Earl gets the best contract ever for his position.
2. For salary cap purposes the team frontloads the payments.
3. Earl gets to the end of the contract and looks at what he is earning and thinks it isn’t enough completely ignoring that his contract was frontloaded.
4. Early runs to his bedroom, slams the door, flops onto his bed and cries while texting his girlfriends how mistreated he is and refuses to come out for diner.
5. Isn’t there a song Goodbye Earl by the Dixie Chicks?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Why would he want to go to Dallas if he was concerned about his stats? Their defense has sucked for years and it won't be close to LoB levels even if everything goes right this year.

Seafan

Reaction score
Yxes1122":3oyjikgt said:

Of course every player wants that.

If he doesn't report by Saturday he will lose the guarantee his contract would have received for this season. He has no leverage and his agent is not doing a good job. The Hawks have moved on and he doesn't get it. It took Kam a couple months to figure it out. Why can't players learn from each other.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
nwHawk":152zk3m2 said:
If Earl had started this year with the team and the secondary sucked, he may have had more to loose than just games.

His lack of interceptions and turnovers in general may have been questioned and exploited even further. The LOB was a security blanket that insulated him. Think about how much we've learned about him and his personality since the Cowboys game.

On top of game checks, I think he is concerned about his lasting legacy. I think he wants to be remembered as one of the game's very best - ever. He pushes to be the best, and trains like a beast, but let's face it, this defense is young and loaded with questions.

It's just the opposite. ET was what made the LOB work. Because he took away the deep threat it allowed players with less speed and athleticism (But more height and range) excel.

toffee

Reaction score
Yxes1122":3hzwhfp4 said:

Earl isn’t that shallow, he has long term plans and goals. He wanted to be the highest paid FS playing for the girls and only the girls. But browns and raider too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve2222

Reaction score
toffee":1yomoaw1 said:
Yxes1122":1yomoaw1 said:

Earl isn’t that shallow, he has long term plans and goals. He wanted to be the highest paid FS playing for the girls and only the girls. But browns and raider too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earl literally told the Seahawks “pay me or trade me”

Where the hell did you read he will only play for the Cowboys lol

Smellyman

Reaction score
Seafan":2g8drqja said:
Yxes1122":2g8drqja said:

Of course every player wants that.

If he doesn't report by Saturday he will lose the guarantee his contract would have received for this season. He has no leverage and his agent is not doing a good job. The Hawks have moved on and he doesn't get it. It took Kam a couple months to figure it out. Why can't players learn from each other.

an agent can implore, plead, tell him all he has to lose and he is only hurting himself, but if your client is an idiot there is nothing they can do.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
At this point it wouldn’t shock me if ET just retired.
I’m sure he has realized by now Seattle isn’t budging....