NFL Power Rankings Wk 1 — Seahawks underestimated at #27

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Where to place the Seahawks amongst their league peers? 2018 looks to be transition year in Seattle, barring a few surprises. If Pete Carroll's guys are to actually contend in the NFC West, running back Chris Carson will be a huge reason why. As will a new-look defense missing notable pieces, especially when it comes to generating pass rush. If defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. can't make up for that deficiency, the secondary will flounder. I know a safety who could really help out in this area. I'm talking about this guy, if you're wondering.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... osts-bears

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
27th? Are you freaking kidding me?!??

LMAO!!!

Wow. I get the uncertainty keeping some at bay but 27th? Puuuuhleeeze.

15th at WORST this year with Russell Wilson as our QB.

Seymour

Reaction score
24-27 is about right. They have shown next to nothing, have little depth (to the untrained eye at least), so I have no problem with that. Personally I think we are an 8-8 team that could go plus or minus 2 either way but that remains to be seen obviously.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":1twlf8hu said:
27th? Are you freaking kidding me?!??

LMAO!!!

Wow. I get the uncertainty keeping some at bay but 27th? Puuuuhleeeze.

15th at WORST this year with Russell Wilson as our QB.

Yeah those 0 and 4 preseason teams are going to be bad.

This is perfect really, no expectations from outside, the team has a chip, the Mediots will be seeing how many forks they can stick in us all year. Good way to get us going if the mentality of the team can use this as a motivation tool like teams in the past did.

Seymour

Reaction score
CBS #25
Bleacher Report #20
ESPN #17

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I get that this team has yet to show anything (outside of some decent plays sprinkled here and there in the preseason) but even a preliminary sniff test tells me this team WITH RUSSELL GAWDDARN WILSON is at least average at worst. That's 15-16, not one of the last place teams. Come on. OL is clearly improved (yes, I get it was a small sample size in the preseason) and even if they are AVERAGE that could equate to an extra win or two this year. And last year our OL was atrocious but because of Russ' magic we still finished with a winning record.

I get that we can forget about a 14-2, 13-3 season but baring injury I am steadfast sticking to my 10-6 possible widlcard scenerio, and that my friends, is a far cry from the 27th best team in the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Let's be honest, this is a hard team to get a read on right now..........so yeah there's a reason there's such a big variance in power ranking polls.

If the defense can find some new stars and not have the depth and talent issues many think we'll have? We should be a top 15 team and vying for a playoff spot.

If the defensive depth is exposed due to that talent deficiency and/or injury, then hell man this could be a looooong season.

Yeah Russell will keep us in most games, but that doesn't mean 11-5, that means 7-9 to 9-7 territory.

RCATES

Reaction score
I get the sentiment for a drop-off with player turnover / new coaching staff etc. but 27. There's no way anyone with a ounce of football knowledge would put Seattle who is still loaded with young talent and a national media agreed top 5 QB at 27.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Same people will be up on their jocks later in the year when they have a winning record. Love it, I wish they would have said #32

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Vegas is a better indicator.

They say #15-#18 which is very likely where we fall.

Would be ridiculous to have a QB of Wilson's caliber and then expect #27 ranking.

We had no line and no RB last year, we were better than that last year.

Lazy list writing more than anything else.

James in PA

Reaction score
“If you have an elite Quarterback, you always have a chance .......... unless you’re the Seattle Seahawks.”

Sincerely,
The national sports media

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrayorr

Reaction score
Not surprised at all. It seems that this is the way it has almost always been, totally underestimated. Guess we will see about that.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24ciaqvl said:
Yeah Russell will keep us in most games, but that doesn't mean 11-5, that means 9-7 to 10-6 territory.

FIFY.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3bfwpn3s said:

Would be ridiculous to have a QB of Wilson's caliber and then expect #27 ranking..

The Saints went 7-9 three straight years with Brees, and there are other examples of great QB's on bad teams.

- Cam went 2-14
- Ryan went 4-12

So while not unlikely with Russell because we have some talent around him, but it is possible. Personally I think like most fringe playoff teams, we're in the 7-9 to 10-6 range depending on major injuries and if Russell can pull 3-4 games out late (or not).

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3dwumhej said:
TwistedHusky":3dwumhej said:

Would be ridiculous to have a QB of Wilson's caliber and then expect #27 ranking..

The Saints went 7-9 three straight years with Brees, and there are other examples of great QB's on bad teams.

- Cam went 2-14
- Ryan went 4-12

So while not unlikely with Russell because we have some talent around him, but it is possible. Personally I think like most fringe playoff teams, we're in the 7-9 to 10-6 range depending on major injuries and if Russell can pull 3-4 games out late (or not).

The worst Cam Newton's Panther's have finished is 6-10, not 2-14. And that 6-10 came his rookie season after he was chosen with the 1st overall pick.

Bree's 7-9 teams had historically bad defenses. This Seahawks team may have a bad defense, but it won't be historically bad.

Matt Ryan's 4-12 team is really an outlier and the exception that proves the rule. If you have a pro-bowl QB it's hard to finish worse than 7-9.

Hell, Pete got a 7-9 record out of that talentless over the hill led Hasselbeck team.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I think the blowout loss to the Rams in our own stadium last season is probably factoring heavily into people's decision to dismiss us. It was painful. It happened despite having Earl Thomas and a healthy WR corps. It occurred at the hands of a team whom we will again face twice this year and who have not gotten any worse over the offseason. And Russell Wilson, for all his excellence, is now a year older, taking orders from an offensive coordinator who's proven nothing in this league despite multiple chances.

If anything, the greatest difference between this year and last will be...Michael Dickson. And it might actually be a big difference. #27 is too low, but let's be honest - it's getting them clicks.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Billboard Material.

Hopefully this kind of stuff lights a fire under a few asses.

Anyone that thinks there’s only 5 worse teams than this years Seahawks, either knows nothing about football, or they know tons about creating “click bait”.

YMMV

Edit:
Has to be pure speculation on the unknown.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Aros":sdyv7c1s said:
I get that this team has yet to show anything (outside of some decent plays sprinkled here and there in the preseason) but even a preliminary sniff test tells me this team WITH RUSSELL GAWDDARN WILSON is at least average at worst. That's 15-16, not one of the last place teams. Come on. OL is clearly improved (yes, I get it was a small sample size in the preseason) and even if they are AVERAGE that could equate to an extra win or two this year. And last year our OL was atrocious but because of Russ' magic we still finished with a winning record.

I get that we can forget about a 14-2, 13-3 season but baring injury I am steadfast sticking to my 10-6 possible widlcard scenerio, and that my friends, is a far cry from the 27th best team in the NFL.
Sound about right to me.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!