Depth chart released

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1037073240663896064[/tweet]

For whatever reason, I like that DL rotation more than is yet merited by regular season play. I hope they prove me right.

The DB rotation, on the other hand, looks like 3rd-and-10+ jailbreak passes completed on us all season long. Ugh.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Delano Hill at FS (even as a backup) is very concerning. It still puzzles me how a strength of the defense became it's biggest weakness in the matter of two years. The loss of Kris Richard as the secondary coach doesn't help. Richard wasn't the best DC but he was outstanding as the secondary coach.

Jville

Reaction score
With everything he has been thru and how hard he has worked, it's great to see Quinton Jefferson recognized as the starting left end.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Jville":1mg584ba said:
With everything he has been thru and how hard he has worked, it's great to see Quinton Jefferson recognized as the starting left end.

It is. Kind of a throwback to when Red Bryant started at that spot and was an extra heavy DE on run downs.

Jville

Reaction score
kobebryant":14glmu0c said:
Jville":14glmu0c said:

It is. Kind of a throwback to when Red Bryant started at that spot and was an extra heavy DE on run downs.

I'm all for that.

I really like the defensive tackles. And although it will take a couple of weeks before changes become clearly evident, I think we are in for some new wrinkles. I'm anticipating an elevated commitment to keep linebackers cleaner than what we have seen in the recent past. We could get to see Bobby Wagner kept clean and free to run in a Carolina way. This a year for spotlighting and bringing out linebacker play as never before.

Very encourage about September's evolution of the defensive front.

kf3339

Reaction score
Jville":3vqdgpj5 said:

:ditto:

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Thomas is the wild card he can play Luani is the Wild Card, probably can play both positions at Safety if need be as well as McDougald. He needs to learn our system is all, meanwhile on special teams he earns his wings.

No doubt there will be some tuition paid as guys learn to recognize and communicate in their own way, it all just looks different and there may be a shuffle at some point with Flowers and Thomas as well.

Now Madden as the FB has me perplexed, have yet to see him do anything really deserving a roster spot over better blockers.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Agree Chris. Why is he still here? I don't remember seeing much fullback use at all.

I think Poona Ford is going to be a Mini Aaron Donald.

Donald was a late bloomer as far as NFL recognition goes. They were focusing on his size, and finally they realized that he was a phenom and to judge him based on size was not only antiquated, but ignorant.

Fortunately for us, most NFL Front Offices are still rigid in player assessment based on measurables, and school. Almost as if they were influenced by the Ghost of Ruskell.

But because of their rigidity, we've got Michael Dickson and Poona Ford. :179417:

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ivotuk":jvil2qxl said:
Agree Chris. Why is he still here? I don't remember seeing much fullback use at all.

Donald was a late bloomer as far as NFL recognition goes. They were focusing on his size, and finally they realized that he was a phenom and to judge him based on size was not only antiquated, but ignorant.

Fortunately for us, most NFL Front Offices are still rigid in player assessment based on measurables, and school. Almost as if they were influenced by the Ghost of Ruskell.

But because of their rigidity, we've got Michael Dickson and Poona Ford. :179417:

And Russell Wilson.

sdog1981

Reaction score
ivotuk":ynn4ww8z said:

He is more like a Mini Vince Wilfork. An absolute rock in the middle of the line that destroys an opponents run game.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Don’t like Lockett being listed as the number two receiver, not his strong suit.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1ztynbz2 said:
Don’t like Lockett being listed as the number two receiver, not his strong suit.

Where a WR is located on a depth chart and where they line up in any given formation are two separate things.

danp1990

Reaction score
With Quinton Jefferson being at LDE do you guys see him playing the '' Elephant '' role that Red Bryant used to dominate for us circa 2011-2013? he is a pretty huge for a DE ...obviously not as big weight wise as Big Red but can certainly hold the edge i believe.

themunn

Reaction score
ivotuk":v1ff1tqs said:

What?
He was picked in the first round, went to the pro bowl as a rookie and named Defensive Rookie of the Year! In what world is that a late bloomer!?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
danp1990":3ltsm91s said:
With Quinton Jefferson being at LDE do you guys see him playing the '' Elephant '' role that Red Bryant used to dominate for us circa 2011-2013? he is a pretty huge for a DE ...obviously not as big weight wise as Big Red but can certainly hold the edge i believe.
Q looked to be in mid-season shape in the last preseason game. Other D-linemen had their hands on their hips late in a drive by the Raiders but not Q. His off-season work showed.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Although not in Candotta's tweet but rather at .com'd depth chart, Tyler Lockett is listed as both the KR and the PR... EXCELLENT.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
ivotuk":1g80bkx3 said:

You are likely alone on that opinion. I like Ford but to compare him to the best defensive player in the league is a bit much. Ford wasn't even a lock to make the team a week ago.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":34ixitme said:

Not sure I get this considering Baldwin plays the slot more than anyone else.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Any OC that doesn't spend all game picking on Dontae Johnson should be fired on the spot.