What Effect Will the Thin Air Have?

Hawker8989

Reaction score
Just as the question poses. It's no secret that athletes go through hell playing in Denver.

mrt144

Reaction score
rjdriver":3oigzoyl said:
Beer is more effective sooner.

And cigarettes. Man, nothing like taking that first drag after a flight and getting super light headed and chuckling to yourself about the profound effects of altitude on things you take for granted.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
'Hawk fans attending the game will be more susceptible to their heads exploding when Bevell makes his dumbass play calls...…..oh wait....

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
They will be having a much more need for personnel rotation as they keep the players oxygenated. I think I recall that they were masking them several years back when I watched them play there. May have been a different team but I seem to recall that they prepared for this eventuality. It also works for beer drinkers too...more oxygen helps to digest the beer better......so I was told by a dude at Shotgun willies downtown Denver........

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Both Walter Jones and Cliff Avril said today on the radio that the thin Denver air is the REAL DEAL........and that the heat makes it worse.

There's a reason Denver has won over 80% of their opening games at Mile High, it is a big advantage.

That's why I said I think this is a bad matchup for unveiling our new run game, Denver's D-line is by far their best group. Russell better have an A+ game, or it's gonna be a long day IMO.

cymatica

Reaction score
More worried about the 83° forecast.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
First game so our team should already be in Denver acclimating.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1k878grf said:
First game so our team should already be in Denver acclimating.

They just got out of practice, here, so..........................

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
cymatica":icpodod6 said:
More worried about the 83° forecast.

70 degrees in Jacksonville is exponentially worse than 83 degrees in Denver. As long as they are hydrated, heat won’t be a factor at 83 degrees with such low humidity.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Whens the last time the Seahawks have won in Denver?
Our guys would always struggle going up there to face Elway back in the day... every year it felt like a pounding.

They struggle in Denver almost as bad as in Green Bay it feels like.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Anyone that says mid 80s in Denver won’t be a factor is Coo Coo for Coco Puffs.

How much of a factor is yet to be seen.

Y’all up in Seattle, like myself here in the Houston area, walk around daily @ or near sea level.

When was the last time you went up to Mt. Rainer National Park?
How much walking/hiking did you do?

The oxygen demand for high level athletics is much higher than us “average Joes” require.

I make Colorado/Denver area every couple of years. Been to the top of Rocky Mt. National park.

It’s done “tongue in cheek” but they sell T-shits that say “Got Oxygen”.

It will effect some of our guys more than others depending on the individual but there will be an effect.
Will it effect the outcome of the game?

Maybe, Maybe not.
Time will tell.

I’d be willing to bet, we’ll see some guys slightly bent over with their hands on there hips. More so than we would see in Seattle or Houston.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
pmedic920":3ahfbx4p said:

Y’all up in Seattle, like myself here in the Houston area, walk around daily @ or near sea level.

The oxygen demand for high level athletics is much higher that us “average Joes” require.

I make Colorado/Denver area every couple of years. Been to the top of Rocky Mt. National park.

It will effect some of our guys more than others depending on the individual but there will be an effect.

Maybe, Maybe not.
Time will tell.

I’d be willing to bet, we’ll see some guys slightly bent over with their hands on there hips. More so than we would see in Seattle or Houston.

Very true buddy.
I take hikes up in the mountains at or about 4600 ft. I live at 2260 or so. Not much difference. But it is different. They will have O2 masks there and they will need them. My hikes are gentle strolls not running like I have done years past. I am not being a mule for elk this year as I am hurt still..but they really WANTED me there for MULE duty. Body is not up to spec at the moment....but getting a bit better.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
pmedic920":2jy046wz said:

The oxygen demand for high level athletics is much higher than us “average Joes” require.

Maybe, Maybe not.
Time will tell.

My answer:

I was in the best shape of my life. Running 60 miles a week training for marathons living at 500 ft.
Ran a marathon prior, in 3:25. (7:50 pace)

I hiked from Paradise (5,000ft) to camp Muir (10,100ft) in about 3-1/2 hours.
I spent 2 hours up there. Hiked back down. Round trip with hanging out there, 6-1/2 hours.
When we got to the car I puked my guts out from altitude sickness. I've never felt worse in my entire life.

Got back to sea level, took some medicine and laid down. Within 20 minutes I was FINE.
I does different things to different people. I hope they take altitude medication. I wish I had beforehand.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Somehow teams have won in Denver, Boulder, Utah, Wyoming.

Don't know how since it high

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":3qp4z5oc said:

Maybe, Maybe not.
Time will tell.

I am confused. Stating that 83 degrees in Denver isn’t a big deal has nothing to do with altitude. Your giant rant is completely disconnected from your opening sentence. Fact remains low humidity largely negates heat issues in the low 80’s especially with the giant misters that are used. The body can cool very quick even with just a little shade.

danp1990

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3vjufcgq said:
Whens the last time the Seahawks have won in Denver?
Our guys would always struggle going up there to face Elway back in the day... every year it felt like a pounding.

They struggle in Denver almost as bad as in Green Bay it feels like.

Last time i remember , for regular season was.... Nov or Dec of 2006 . won by a Josh Brown field goal :D

AgentDib

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":2sdata9x said:
I am confused. Stating that 83 degrees in Denver isn’t a big deal has nothing to do with altitude. Your giant rant is completely disconnected from your opening sentence.
He's probably referencing the chart below which has been making the rounds this week and was posted on FG earlier in the year.

chart__4_.png

Speculation at the time had to do with hemoglobin release and air density as a function of temperature. I'm not a doctor or chemist but the correlation between temperature and winning percentage looks significant.