.SI Article....The turmoil in Seattle..any truth?

Steve2222

Reaction score
The more I hear these guys whine, the more glad I am that they are no longer here. What a bunch of babies.

Wilson cannot be further from the issue. The issue was trading draft picks for auxiliary pieces that weren’t really needed (Harvin and Graham) while forfeiting a 1st round draft pick, 2nd round draft pick, and an All Pro center. This in turn left us dry when trying to resign guys like Tate, Mebane, and McDonald. Also factor in almost all the cap was dedicated to the defense, you were left with an elite defense and Wilson having to do everything on his own on offense.

I think this team will be miles better this year than they were last simply because you don’t have guys in the locker room who hate their QB and coaching staff for stupid reasons.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I still think there will be a 30 for 30 episode done on this team and what happened. You know the players that left or that are about to leave (Earl) would do it...

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Steve2222":2louixm7 said:
The more I hear these guys whine, the more glad I am that they are no longer here. What a bunch of babies.

Wilson cannot be further from the issue. The issue was trading draft picks for auxiliary pieces that weren’t really needed (Harvin and Graham) while forfeiting a 1st round draft pick, 2nd round draft pick, and an All Pro center. This in turn left us dry when trying to resign guys like Tate, Mebane, and McDonald. Also factor in almost all the cap was dedicated to the defense, you were left with an elite defense and Wilson having to do everything on his own on offense.

I think this team will be miles better this year than they were last simply because you don’t have guys in the locker room, who are hungry and not upset at the coaching staff for stupid reasons.

I am glad we have moved on as well. Seems like a lot of bitterness from broken down players. Maybe the defense feels they never got the credit for basically winning a lot of games when Wilson and the offense struggled?

Either way it looks like the team is moving on and there is just one more piece of cancer to cut out. Still an interesting read.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Not sure I'll read the article at this time since I prefer to shoo away dark clouds rather than invite them in, but hopefully it mentions TC and DB who stubbornly clung to their unassertive philosophies (including their influence on the draft) and repetitive strategies. Yes they were successful early on, but they also had crazy talent to work with then. Then their formula began to stagnate.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Before you can solve a problem, you have to acknowledge it.

There are a number of issues, which we were repeatedly assured were not valid, that article seems to provide supporting details on.

- Lynch being upset
- Defensive players being upset with Wilson
- Wilson alienating himself from the team
- 'Always Compete' being exposed as a load of crap.

The Wilson worship has to stop. Wilson is a great player but he is not infallible. And the Seahawks are going to learn the hard way that placing all their bets on him can burn them hard. It already has.

QBs get treated differently but what clearly went on here, destroyed what this team had that made it special. And, to be clear, this team has not been special since that 2nd SB. The moment this Pete created that division by coddling Wilson, who likely did not need it, this team has been basically a wildcard team.

This team is going to get a rude awakening if the rumors are true (and given Wilson's predilections there is no reason to suspect they are not) and Wilson bolts in two years. Regardless, Pete protecting Wilson probably was ridiculous because he seems to be emotionally strong and he would have been able to handle it. All they did was create a schism (one that we were assured did not exist btw).

A larger issue is how does this bode for a team resigning defensive FAs when the internal nickname is 'The Titanic'?

It now makes more sense why ET wants the hell out. But what does this say about Bobby?

You can keep making excuses, you can blame the defensive players for problems that they did not start but were upset by, or you can fix things. Or you can keep going with what you are doing, assuring you don't do much in the playoffs if you even reach them.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
So dumb. Yes Franchise QBs are treated differently...duh

Cant believe Karen William's was mentioned dude got cut after us by 0 and 16 browns

Does Richard not realize we have a salary cap? When u pay ur mlb wsb ss fs CB 2 des your gonna have to let guys go.

TreeRon

Reaction score
These guys should have been jettisoned long ago. Anyone that has managed an organization for any length of time knows that even ONE malcontent can be a cancer. With these guys, I find it amazing we've done so well.

Wilson's not an outspoken loudmouth shame on him. :sarcasm_on:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This thread has already been taken over by misinformation and cynicism, so it'll have to be put back on track here...

That "disgruntled, angry" defense, for all their supposed bitterness, was still top 5 in the league right up until Earl Thomas' injury in 2016. We all knew it. The stats say it. Nobody, in this board or elsewhere, was saying otherwise until mid-2017. To claim anything else is revisionist history. If you think those big stars weren't earning their contracts, how do you account for that fact?

"Injury played a role, but...?" No, no buts. Injury either played a role or it didn't. There's only so many upper-tier, offense-powering starting RB's a team can reasonably be expected to enlist in one season. We found one in 2015, he got hurt, and it got in his head; he was never the same since (seriously, Rawls' play style changed after the injury. He was a better RB in 2015). That hurt the team all the way through 2016. We started over in 2017, found another starting RB, and...he got hurt. I was never a fan of the Lacy signing, and the Christine Michael failure deserves more talk concerning its role in our offensive struggles, but again, you don't condemn a team for failing to come up with a Carson/Penny combo every year. Stuff just happens.

Blair Walsh happened. That was the most damaging free-agent signing of the post-2013 era. It lost us three(?) games in 2017. Far more destructive to our playoff hopes than Graham, who got us ten touchdowns, or Harvin, who hurt the cap but was otherwise jettisoned without too much pain.

We could talk about Tom Cable being a problem. We could even talk about Darell Bevell.

But in the end, the Seahawks lost games. It's as simple as that. They missed enough games to miss good seeding in the playoffs, then failed to execute in playoffs. It happens. To 31 NFL teams. Annually. Unless you're going to contend that there's always 31 mediocre teams and one good one, and that the Patriots were mediocre from 2005-2013 purely because they didn't win a Super Bowl, then Seattle never hit mediocrity. They just lost the war of attrition. It ----ing happens.

Maybe these defensive clowns did do some of the acting up claimed in this article. We'll never know.

But it will never be the scapegoat people want it to be.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's what a took away from that article besides being yet another "Stir The Shit" piece by SI....

A4e16c1cd8c5dbb1d6c4582d182afe90c14d8d01 r

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
But that is not the issue Montana.

According to the article, (there are numerous quotes, including McDaniel...not just Sherman), the issue was Pete.

It wasn't even Wilson. It was Pete deciding that Wilson could not handle being treated like the defensive stars were - when Wilson has REPEATEDLY shown to be able to handle adversity, pressure and even accountability.

As for the rest, Kasen Williams was one example. McDaniel gave another and he was right. While Williams might not have been a fit, McEvoy was a steaming pile of ish and the defense knew it. Regardless, the issue was that a standard of competition that the team put together was violated. Pete decided but he did not decide using the rules he laid down, or he did not adequately communicate it to the team. Yes, he needs to justify those decisions because you need buy-in from the stakeholders.

Moving forward without consensus means moving forward without support. That leads to other issues, including dissent and sometimes sabotage. That is literally Leadership 101. Pete as an experienced coach should have known this.

People that do not support something, do not emotionally invest. People that do not emotionally invest, generally do not commit themselves 100%.

It should also be noted that yet again, you see the reference to Pete trying to hand the 'MVP to Wilson' with that pass. That was another issue that was clearly not addressed but instead denied. Another leadership failure.

This all falls on Pete for trying to protect his QB that did not need protection and in doing so, drove his defensive stars to become adversaries of Wilson. The Defense was winning those games and they deserved the right to run this team. Pete overuled that and screwed everything up.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":k5suiiuy said:
But that is not the issue Montana.

According to the article, (there are numerous quotes, including McDaniel...not just Sherman), the issue was Pete.

It wasn't even Wilson. It was Pete deciding that Wilson could not handle being treated like the defensive stars were - when Wilson has REPEATEDLY shown to be able to handle adversity, pressure and even accountability.

As for the rest, Kasen Williams was one example. McDaniel gave another and he was right. While Williams might not have been a fit, McEvoy was a steaming pile of ish and the defense knew it. Regardless, the issue was that a standard of competition that the team put together was violated. Pete decided but he did not decide using the rules he laid down, or he did not adequately communicate it to the team. Yes, he needs to justify those decisions because you need buy-in from the stakeholders.

Moving forward without consensus means moving forward without support. That leads to other issues, including dissent and sometimes sabotage. That is literally Leadership 101. Pete as an experienced coach should have known this.

People that do not support something, do not emotionally invest. People that do not emotionally invest, generally do not commit themselves 100%.

It should also be noted that yet again, you see the reference to Pete trying to hand the 'MVP to Wilson' with that pass. That was another issue that was clearly not addressed but instead denied. Another leadership failure.

This all falls on Pete for trying to protect his QB that did not need protection and in doing so, drove his defensive stars to become adversaries of Wilson. The Defense was winning those games and they deserved the right to run this team. Pete overuled that and screwed everything up.

I would kindly suggest not taking an article seriously that is this dumb.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Hawknation,

That makes no sense.

We went to 2 SBs WITH Bevell but magically right afterwards, we could barely get past the wildcard games?

Something went down. The article gives a number of quotes that reinforce rumors that were already flying.

They validate additional issues that came up (remember the 'not black enough' quotes?) that did not make sense at the time but in context of the article seem to.

But hey, pretend it is all make-believe. It won't change the fact that the Seahawks have done literally nothing of import since.

We did get rid of Cable and Bevell, but at some point there might be enough data to indicate this is the result of Pete's handling of Wilson and the resentment that treatment causes.

We will see.

It sounds to me like Pete built this amazing thing and then he just burned it down. We did get 2 SBs out of it but at least we know why it didn't turn into a dynasty with all these HOF and HOF quality players on it.

James in PA

Reaction score
Aros":1kk9qwft said:
Here's what a took away from that article besides being yet another "Stir The Shit" piece by SI....

A4e16c1cd8c5dbb1d6c4582d182afe90c14d8d01 r
Yup. Same old, recycled shit. That game took place 4 seasons ago. The malcontents are gone. Find something else to write about already, SI. Hey, I know: how about a juicy piece on Bill Buckner and the ‘86 Red Sox??

Friggin jack wads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I haven't read the article yet, but I have to imagine there's very little new information there. There's been rumblings for quite some time of Russ being treated differently (as pretty much all QBs are), "always compete" not applying to everyone, and so on.

I'll give it a read later today, but I'm not sure there's going to be anything in there that this forum hasn't hashed out four times already.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":fefk90c6 said:
Hawknation,

That makes no sense.

We went to 2 SBs WITH Bevell but magically right afterwards, we could barely get past the wildcard games?

Something went down. The article gives a number of quotes that reinforce rumors that were already flying.

They validate additional issues that came up (remember the 'not black enough' quotes?) that did not make sense at the time but in context of the article seem to.

But hey, pretend it is all make-believe. It won't change the fact that the Seahawks have done literally nothing of import since.

We did get rid of Cable and Bevell, but at some point there might be enough data to indicate this is the result of Pete's handling of Wilson and the resentment that treatment causes.

We will see.

It sounds to me like Pete built this amazing thing and then he just burned it down. We did get 2 SBs out of it but at least we know why it didn't turn into a dynasty with all these HOF and HOF quality players on it.

Guys compete hard at Seahawks practices. That leads to a serious offense vs defense dynamic. Guys like to chatter. That's all this is. A sewing circle (at the wedding of a player who was just terminated after an Achilles' injury) turned into a hit piece for Seahawks haters.

The injuries are the common denominator at the end of 2014-15 (when we lost the Super Bowl), 2015 when multiple players got hurt (including Marshawn and the backup RB), 2016 (when multiple players were hurt, namely Earl Thomas), and 2017 (when half the defense was decimated by injuries).

Getting a new OC is a huge step in the right direction. You could argue that the firing occurred too late, and that might be true. Look at Dan Quinn keeping Steve Sarkisian and the pitiful job of play calling he did in the season opener. It's hard to make the decision to fire a coach when you are still going to the playoffs and competing for a Super Bowl.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
"But Aaron Rodgers goes out of his way to include teammates in promotional spots."

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA

What a dumb (bleeping) article that will elicit way more time and attention than it deserves.