Are the Seahawks the most likeable team in the NFL today?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Teams with low expectations tend to be well liked because they are perceived as non-threatening. After all the injuries and hard luck the team has suffered, it seems the expectations for them are very low entering this season.

Guys who were not extremely well liked, like Richard Sherman, have left the team. Ditto for some disliked coaches. We are basically left with a lot of really likable players and coaches across the roster.

There are underdogs like Shaquem Griffin and all he stands for. Russell Wilson’s consistent effort to help sick people, having to overcome odds as an undersized QB who fell in the draft, and being the most successful black QB in NFL history (keeping in mind the decades of black players being denied the opportunity to play the position). Doug Baldwin’s community work. Pete Carroll’s community work. Carroll’s whole philosophy is about empowering people to be their best, rather than the old school approach of using fear to tear players down.

I feel like we went from being one of the most loathed teams to being the team to naturally gravitate toward. I don’t know what that means for the season, other than they will have to overcome the doubters. It just feels especially good rooting for this team.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Not even close. Tons of fans of other teams dislike the Seahawks' fanbase.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
You mentioned Carroll, he's still really disliked by some people who follow college football. I don't think he wins us any points. Shaquem, yes people love that story, and are rooting for him, definitely.

Unfortunately, or whatever, I don't care if we're hated. I think were in the schadenfreude stage with most NFL fans.

James in PA

Reaction score
I know the national media still despises the Hawks. Take that SI article from today, for example, on SB49. They’re just trying to stir up really old shit and right before the start of the season. I don’t see this stuff still written about Atlanta’s collapse in the SB, which was more recent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adeltaY

Reaction score
Lots of other fans HATE Russell Wilson as a person because they think he's too religious or fake/scripted. I think a decent chunk of our own fanbase feels the same way but put up with it because he gets results and doesn't actually do or say any reprehensible things.

I, personally, dig the guy.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
All I know is that they are my most likeable team. And its not even close. Theres the Seahawks, and then theres everyone else. Of course I certainly have teams I dislike more than others but as for likeability? Its more like tolerability of some other teams.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If the Seahawks were well-liked across the country and among NFL fans, they wouldn't be my favorite team anymore.

Rat

Reaction score
Pete Carroll comes off as really smug if you're not used to him. I hated him at USC, and I'm sure I'm not alone there. He's not on the Rex Ryan level of hated, but I don't think he is well-liked by the average fan.

The perception of the team has likely improved since Sherman and Bennett left, two of the most "you hate them if they're not on your team" types in the league, but I'm guessing we're still far from #1.

Steve2222

Reaction score
lol the Seahawks are still very much hated. All you have to do is look at a comment section of any article or piece Seahawks related to see it.

And I absolutely love it. Who wants to be the team everyone adores? Notice it’s only the good teams (besides Dallas) that are universally hated?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Steve2222":2shfypmh said:
lol the Seahawks are still very much hated. All you have to do is look at a comment section of any article or piece Seahawks related to see it.

And I absolutely love it. Who wants to be the team everyone adores? Notice it’s only the good teams (besides Dallas) that are universally hated?

Just got off the fone with my brothers on Romulus and they say they love Dallas...and even the Borg say Dallas is their team. Klingons are on the fence.

Atradees

Reaction score
We had a bunch of in your face malcontents for a minute. Now we have some feelgood stories. Mostly they........whoever they are...still fear us.

TreeRon

Reaction score
adeltaY":mgcc19u6 said:
Lots of other fans HATE Russell Wilson as a person because they think he's too religious or fake/scripted. I think a decent chunk of our own fanbase feels the same way but put up with it because he gets results and doesn't actually do or say any reprehensible things.

I agree. Same reason a lot of people don't like Pete. I get that their glass always full, maybe even overflowing can be irritating to most of us who have roller coaster lives. I find it mildly amusing, especially some of the dumb sayings that RW comes up with. Some make no sense whatsoever .(Maybe I'm dense)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
TreeRon":3brml6nk said:
adeltaY":3brml6nk said:

I agree. Same reason a lot of people don't like Pete. I get that their glass always full, maybe even overflowing can be irritating to most of us who have roller coaster lives. I find it mildly amusing, especially some of the dumb sayings that RW comes up with. Some make no sense whatsoever .(Maybe I'm dense)

Naw...a lot of people think the same thing in most things.

On a different subject for TreeRon...are ya going to the Boise Open? I shall be there fri sat and sun. Staying at Gowen Field. Pms if you wish.

Fade

Reaction score
Pete Carroll comes off as a crooked politician / used car salesman. He isn't those things, but that is how he is perceived. Fans of the NFL & College Football hate him. So therefore will always root against his teams.

His cheerleader sideline hi jinx really piss people off, because he is most likely doing it at the expense of their favorite team.

Russell Wilson is hated because their team didn't pick him. The other stuff is used just as an excuse to hate him.

The 12th man. No need to go into detail on that.

Seattle is hated, relish being the heel. It's more fun anyway.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Outsiders perspective:

Doug Baldwin is well liked.

Griffin is a good story obviously.

People know that Wagner, Thomas, and Wright are good players but don't really know anything about them as people and are neutral on them. (People think the Cowboys Thomas thing is funny).

Pac 10 fans don't like Carroll from his college days, but for everyone else he's just a 9-11 Truther who looks kinda smug (I don't think he actually comes off as smug, but nobody has any reason to know that, and he definitely looks smug).

People don't dislike Wilson per se, but they think he's insufferably weird and corny. They recognize him as a great player but like to make fun of him, because he's publicly done enough weird and corny things to always be a punchline.

Outside of Seattle nobody cares that Frank Clark is a good situational pass rusher. They think he's scum.

There's nobody else on the team anymore that general NFL fans know about or care about.

As everyone here already knows, the stereotype about Seahawks fans is that they're narcissistic bandwagoners who don't know what they're talking about. I don't think anyone outside of the NFCW really knows or cares about that stereotype though. There are very few fanbases (Patriots, Eagles, Raiders, and maybe Browns and Packers) that have a national reputation.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Jeremy517":2uljfrft said:
Not even close. Tons of fans of other teams dislike the Seahawks' fanbase.
Atleast we arent as hated as the raiders fans or as obnoxious as those ninners.

chris98251

Reaction score
We are forgotten until they have to come to Seattle and then we are hated and have been since the Kingdome days, the 12th man has made us hated and it may not even relate to the team, we have had the feel good guys in Largent and Zorn, we have had a feared defense since the Easley days that we were hated for, then we had Holmgren after the Behring debacle which made us hated because we were winning. Then the Carroll era and LOB. We were considered a wanna be with insufferable fans for years, we had a habit of beating favorites on the bigger stages such as Monday Night Football routinely. Were here in Egypt away from mainstream everything and a pain in the ass for other teams to come to as well as the Mediots.

We however do not have the General hate that has been earned over decades like the Cowboys, Raiders and Patriots and Stealers.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":1zjvwf4c said:
Pete Carroll comes off as a crooked politician / used car salesman. He isn't those things, but that is how he is perceived. Fans of the NFL & College Football hate him. So therefore will always root against his teams.

His cheerleader sideline hi jinx really piss people off, because he is most likely doing it at the expense of their favorite team.

Russell Wilson is hated because their team didn't pick him. The other stuff is used just as an excuse to hate him.

The 12th man. No need to go into detail on that.

Seattle is hated, relish being the heel. It's more fun anyway.
Yep, I enjoy it when my team is viewed as the “bad guy”.
Being viewed as the good guy always seemed to = soft.

After sham that was XL*, I stopped caring what the NFL and other fanbases thought about my team.