The defense

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I had happily forgotten what it was like to have a bad defense until today. They gave up almost 500 yards to a questionable offensive team. As bad as they were, I have hope. They seemed to me, for the most part to be 11 guys playing 11 different positions. At no time did they seem like a cohesive unit. That will happen with as many young guys thrust into starting positions.

I do believe that they will grow into a functional defensive system by years end. We are sure to experience many growing pains with this group. We saw some good things from them today but nothing resembling the dominating defense of the Super Bowl years.

The turnovers were less a result of the defense aggressively taking them away but more a result of Denver’s offense giving them gift wrapped packages. I’ll tske them either way.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
A lot to grumble about because I’ve become spoiled by the defensive play for sometime now and yeah today was a reality check but also a lot to look forward to with this unit as well we are going to have to ride it out ! It will get better

NJlargent

Reaction score
It’s good we have a young hungry defense again

mistaowen

Reaction score
Haven’t had to feel like one of the other fan bases watching their defense play in a long time. We got very used to elite consistent defensive play every week. Giving up 20 points was unheard of. Lots of new faces, have to trust the coaching staff can build the unit again. Mcdougald was great today, earl should be up to speed soon. LB’s have to play better.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind is that the Pete Carroll defense is built to bend but not break. They will often give up larger yardage totals but it's about keeping the scoring down, not the yards. I was encouraged today because they actually had some really good stands in an extremely tough environment.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
The D was shaky but yes showed signs of promise.

More concerning was what came on the offensive side. RW does not present himself as "elite" out there right now. At times he seemed totally lost. That should not be happening.

The running game remains spotty but like the D, there are signs it might get better big time over the next few games.

The kicking game, well... :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Defense is gonna be tremendously inconsistent this season. They will look good at times and extremely terrible at times. Sadly we will probably see the terrible part more often then the good.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The defense forced 3 turnovers.

The problem was the offense.

This defense is going to give up 24 points + a game, it is a reality given the roster. We can choose to score 30 or we can decide to lose. That is the call.

BTW the defense stopped the Broncos near the end of the game. The offense immediately screwed it up.

The defense produced given what it had to work with. The offense? Not so much.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The D-Line/front 7 just isn't that scary. They can't seem to stop the run. Remember we when had Bryant, Mebane, Branch, McDonald and Clemons in their primes? Teams simply could not run on us.

The bright spots today were the interceptions.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1jsf8yfc said:

This defense is going to give up 24 points + a game, it is a reality given the roster. We can choose to score 30 or we can decide to lose. That is the call.

BTW the defense stopped the Broncos near the end of the game. The offense immediately screwed it up.

I don’t know that the defense “forced” the turnovers as much as they were gifted them.
Can we actually “choose” to score 30 points a game?
The defense had their moments just as the offense also had theirs.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Since when do we accept the defense giving up 27 points as if that's an a ok game? That Denver offense is not good at all and they moved the ball at will.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Defense was terrible 90% of the time allowing Denver to gain chunks of yards at will with passes and runs.

That other 10% we're the interceptions, but I don't give defense a lot of credit for that. Keenum made some bad passes, not even under pressure.

If Denver receivers had hung on to a couple dropped passes, tack on another 14 points.

We're going to have to win shootouts this year, because the defense is not good.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We shipped off most of the stars and started a bunch of rookies. We made a decision we didn't need the vets and so we really have to be aware that means the defense is going to be worse. And our DC is worse.

Not much you can do about that now. The defense is no longer the strength of this team. Pete isn't going to be able to fix that.

We know they are porous, have no pass rush and give up the short to medium passes regularly. We also know that 3rd and long is not the difficult conversion it should seem because we give the opposing QB all day.

We all watched how effective they were in the preseason. There should be no surprise with this.

This defense is going to give up a lot of points.

You don't have to 'choose' to score 30 but if you don't score that much - you are not winning.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Natethegreat":7l1o0eez said:
Since when do we accept the defense giving up 27 points as if that's an a ok game? That Denver offense is not good at all and they moved the ball at will.
Since they aren't the elite defense from 2013-2015? If you want to pretend that a retooling defense can be as good as the elite defense we once had with HOF caliber guys missing that's on you. Not to mention they were already down 2 starters and playing in an extremely tough environment. Denver is 18 and 1 in home openers. That's an insanely difficult home field advantage to overcome as proven year in and year out, by more teams than just Seattle.

I'd also say that Denver's offense is not a bad unit. They've only been missing a QB the last couple years. Did people already forget what Case Keenum did with Minnesota last year? Denver's had good WRs and a good line, they just needed a competent QB and Keenum certainly is worlds better than what they've been trying to do it with. That offense is not as bad as some are making it out to be.

It's going to take a young retooled defense half the season to really start coming together in my opinion. Guys are going to take a while to feel comfortable playing together and knowing exactly what to expect from one another. However, I was really encouraged this week in what I saw. I figured it'd be a 35+ point shootout.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
No team is going to win even 8 games giving up 27 points a game. I don't expect the 2013 defense but saying that the D was acceptable and we should just expect that kind of performance is absurd.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Powerhouse D has long been a PC hallmark.

This is not a powerhouse D team.

As stated last season - the PC era is over. The guy pacing the sideline the last 18 months is a shadow of his Seattle glory days.

It happens. Teams go up and they go down. We're struggling with a long, slow downward decline that now feels like it's about to crash.

Wish it weren't so but it is what it is...

getnasty

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1l05x8uo said:
TwistedHusky":1l05x8uo said:

I don’t know that the defense “forced” the turnovers as much as they were gifted them.
Can we actually “choose” to score 30 points a game?
The defense had their moments just as the offense also had theirs.

Also dropped a pick and were screwed out of a fumble recovery too

adeltaY

Reaction score
If Keenum didn't giftwrap us some picks, they would've put up 35+. Did Quem get pulled at some point? I saw Calitro in there with Bobby a fair few snaps. We are hurting for talent right now on defense. Pass rush was invisible too.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3o6cuxx5 said:
No team is going to win even 8 games giving up 27 points a game. I don't expect the 2013 defense but saying that the D was acceptable and we should just expect that kind of performance is absurd.
Really?????, not even the 2015 Seahawks when they faced AND BEAT the Steelers in a shootout????????
If I recall, we had the LOB giving up MORE THAN 27 points in that game :141847_bnono:
AND, to Oldhawkfan saying that the Seahawks Defense was "Gifted" those interceptions today?, B.S.!

kf3339

Reaction score
We all knew the defense is young, inexperienced and not really deep in talent. That showed today.

But even with that known factor, they had some good moments and got three turnovers which should have been sufficient to win this game.

The issue is the offense which has not taken a major move forward to make up for the overall changes on this new team. You put that squarely on RW.

I just finished watching Rogers on one leg come back and score 24 points in the second half to bring the Packers from behind for a win. How did RW look today with two good legs and now 7 years in the league?

It is only one game so way too early for making any real assumptions. But I hope PC starts to get serious about this team and start demanding accountability on every players part..... including RW.