Small sample size but is Schottenheimer>Bevell?

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Russ struggled, period. IMO, there was nothing designed to compliment his strengths. I do believe this offense will look better as the weeks go on but I'm not sure it's going to ever be great. There was nothing there today aside from Locketts big play and a couple passes to Marshall. The run game stinks too. Russ flat out missed open guys and I'm not so sure he is still evolving.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Bevell designed more around Russ, played to his strengths. It looks like these new guys are trying to make him a "traditional pocket QB" but Russ isn't staying in the pocket. We just saw Rodgers with that incredible come back against the Bears. We saw him step up in the pocket many times and throw ropes to his receivers. Russ hasn't been doing that. He just runs to the side or backwards. He needs to stay in the pocket and STEP UP in the pocket.

Fade

Reaction score
Crizilla":194et1nm said:
Bevell designed more around Russ, played to his strengths. It looks like these new guys are trying to make him a "traditional pocket QB" but Russ isn't staying in the pocket. We just saw Rodgers with that incredible come back against the Bears. We saw him step up in the pocket many times and throw ropes to his receivers. Russ hasn't been doing that. He just runs to the side or backwards. He needs to stay in the pocket and STEP UP in the pocket.

The Pocket was constently being shoved into RWs lap. Russ didn't have one to step up into. He consistently had to make throws off his back foot which led to some inaccurate throws.

Schotty is better than Bevell, but it is still 70% Carroll's Offense, as stated by Pete himself.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Thought I saw instances where Russ had a clean pocket. He just didn't throw the ball. Any pocket is going to collapse after 4-5 seconds...

Other times yes, he was forced to throw off his back foot.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Something that I wish I knew the answer to, is why does this team have soooooooo many 3 and outs? Granted, I saw some things with the offense that were encouraging but why is this a thing with our team. It's insufferable, reminds me of that span in 00's when our WR's would not stop dropping passes.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
seahawkfreak":31h6d10m said:
Something that I wish I knew the answer to, is why does this team have soooooooo many 3 and outs? Granted, I saw some things with the offense that were encouraging but why is this a thing with our team. It's insufferable, reminds me of that span in 00's when our WR's would not stop dropping passes.

Shortsighted, poorly designed schemes + lack of proper adjustments.

adeltaY

Reaction score
The problem is that half the time there is a pocket and Russ doesn't step up or throw to the hot read and the other half of the time there instant pressure so the result is a disaster and its hard to parse out fault appropriately. I'm exaggerating, obviously, there are times when there is a clean pocket and Russ does his job and times when there is instant pressure and he makes something out of it, but the overall point stands.

There were definitely snaps where he just couldn't step up because of interior pressure AND Von was coming screaming around the edge - he can't win those snaps. at this point, I just don't know what the answer is. Playcalling, changing Wilson's habits, running the ball? None of it has worked so far, but we gotta be patient and give Schotty some time.

charcoalbg

Reaction score
From my amateur replay of watching the game. I say it is an improvement with more check down options than long developing plays with no one within line of scrimmage. Also the Lockett touchdown seems like a designed roll out for Russell which I did not see much in past couple seasons with Bevell. I think if they fix the right side of line (human pylon Ifedi) Wilson and offense will look better but that is different discussion.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

danp1990

Reaction score
charcoalbg":2pce9j30 said:
From my amateur replay of watching the game. I say it is an improvement with more check down options than long developing plays with no one within line of scrimmage. Also the Lockett touchdown seems like a designed roll out for Russell which I did not see much in past couple seasons with Bevell. I think if they fix the right side of line (human pylon Ifedi) Wilson and offense will look better but that is different discussion.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I agree 100%! the right Side, specifically RT needs to be fixed. Ifedi will ruin our season, ill take my chances with Fant. and honestly Wilson left a lot of things out on that field and mental mistakes. all i could hear in my head when he spun backwards was the old Holmgren to farve early years '' throw it away, THROW IT AWAY''!!! sayings. only negatives i have about Shotty was keep feeding Dissly!!! and no more running back by commitee please it was clear as day, CARSON should receive all carries and penny as fill in roll. Im happy with Solaris work on line. Just for the love of god! release Ifedi!!

adeltaY

Reaction score
I'm not sure about this, but I don't think our RBs are as good at pass catching as they need to be. Maybe Carson is, maybe Prosise. I was watching some highlights today and noticed James White for the Pats, Alvin Kamara for the Saints, and Chris Thompson for the Skins. Their QBs can just check the ball down to them and those guys just go off - breaking tackles, making defenders miss, picking up first downs. I feel like our RBs just aren't that good - the few times Russ has checked down they seem to get tackled immediately. I actually remember Mike Davis being pretty decent and specifically remember him juking Sean Lee to pick up a first down on a checkdown.

I could be wrong about this, maybe we aren't putting the RBs in the right positions to succeed, but it just seems so much easier for other QBs to dump off and have their RBs pick up tons of more yards and it doesn't happen often for Russ.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Bevell, and Schottenheimer are one and the same. The offense looked like the same crap, only with a different package. I think this is more Pete's offense than Schottenheimers. He's added more misdirection and movement at the LOS, but largely it looks very similar to what we saw under Bevell, and Jeremy Bates before that. I feel as if this offense is more Pete's than anyone else's, and that is a damn shame, because Pete is utterly inept when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Crizilla":1xgy0vje said:
Bevell designed more around Russ, played to his strengths. It looks like these new guys are trying to make him a "traditional pocket QB" but Russ isn't staying in the pocket.

We must have been watching different games. This game was noteworthy for how obviously Russ tried to stay in the pocket, more so than most.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
charcoalbg":3trgekqx said:
From my amateur replay of watching the game. I say it is an improvement with more check down options than long developing plays with no one within line of scrimmage.

i noticed that as well, and Wilson was taking those checkdowns more often. Penny and Carson are nice little options on that. It was the difference between a mediocre-to-bad first half offense and one of those embarrassing, jaw-dropping stats like "9 passing yards in the first half" that we kept having last year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It makes absolutely NO sense to not try to stick with the run when the O Line is getting flat out dominated on the pass plays. Claiming you're a running game and just plain giving up on it? Carson was looking sharp. He gets 7 carries????? Plain bad coaching imo.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1nuaxmdu said:
It makes absolutely NO sense to not try to stick with the run when the O Line is getting flat out dominated on the pass plays. Claiming you're a running game and just plain giving up on it? Carson was looking sharp. He gets 7 carries????? Plain bad coaching imo.

Agree. I even often get bored with pounding the rock yet was baffled why a back averaging over 7 ypc gets 7 carries and you call yourself a run first offense?? They were within 1 score the whole game, there was no reason to pass better than 2 to 1 when that plays right into the defenses strength. :141847_bnono:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That call on 3rd and inches, after some nice runs earlier in the game. Are you kidding me, a rollout pass?
Run the damn ball. Felt very Bevellriffic. I love Pete, but him and his coaches got outcoached in this one, period.
Last season they had a PUTRID o-line, yet at times they would try to run it anyway, when they clearly couldn't. Yesterday, they clearly COULD run the ball and decided not to. Maddening to say the least.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3rnc1s6w said:
That call on 3rd and inches, after some nice runs earlier in the game. Are you kidding me, a rollout pass?
Run the damn ball. Felt very Bevellriffic. I love Pete, but him and his coaches got outcoached in this one, period.
Last season they had a PUTRID o-line, yet at times they would try to run it anyway, when they clearly couldn't. Yesterday, they clearly COULD run the ball and decided not to. Maddening to say the least.

Bad call for sure, made worse by Russell missing an easy wide open throw....by a lot. Many things about the offense to feel frustration with on Monday IMO.