Transition to put it on Russ

RCATES

Reaction score
Every since the Epic fail in SB49 we have seen this teams transition to building the Offense around Russ. It hasn’t worked. Why? Because Russ isn’t Elite. Doug said it last week that the Games are now on the Offense. More money is now on that side of the ball. Russ making the same mistakes year after year. Not seeing wide open receivers, missing reads, turning his back to the defense and running into sacks, not simply climbing the pocket. It’s time to stop blaming everyone else for his shortcomings. Sadly Seahawks will likely bury this franchise by giving Russ 22+ million in a extension. The Pete experiment is over. As is this teams hope of winning another SB anytime soon.

homerun1970

Reaction score
22 million would be a bargain. It's not as bad as the post makes it out to be. Doug out, new OL and OC. Denver has a heck of a pass rusher who decided to spin Ifedi's head a few times. Let it gel first game Denver isn't an easy task.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Do you people actually read what you write or just post for the sake of it?

xray

Reaction score
Wilson is not only NOT ELITE he is not even coachable anymore. Old coaches,new coaches same Wilson same results. Carroll has pampered him to the point of no return. He still does what he damn well wants to. He lost that game. I've been a Seahawks fan since the beginning 1976. Those of you that think Wilson is 'ALL THAT" don't understand the NFL.Wilson is now an easy QB to prepare for a defensive coordinator. BLITZ. He can't be a pocket passer because he is too short. His release is slow, His checkdowns are not there. His scrambling is not what it was. He is an average QB.that is regressing .Personally I would trade him before I would Earl Thomas. BYE BYE playoffs.

Seymour

Reaction score
RCATES":3vhmi57s said:
Every since the Epic fail in SB49 we have seen this teams transition to building the Offense around Russ. It hasn’t worked. Why? Because Russ isn’t Elite. Doug said it last week that the Games are now on the Offense. More money is now on that side of the ball. Russ making the same mistakes year after year. Not seeing wide open receivers, missing reads, turning his back to the defense and running into sacks, not simply climbing the pocket. It’s time to stop blaming everyone else for his shortcomings. Sadly Seahawks will likely bury this franchise by giving Russ 22+ million in a extension. The Pete experiment is over. As is this teams hope of winning another SB anytime soon.

I have some great news for you!! They will not be giving him $22M. More like $32M. :irishdrinkers:

[youtube]6KzJ-fH9doE[/youtube]

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Hopefully, they do tag him.

God forbid we give him an Aaron Rodgers type contract that hamstrings this team for half a decade.

The good news is that Wilson is going to have to carry this team. Since he cannot, a lot of the distractions that impact his performance are going to start to vanish. He will start producing, not at the elite level but enough to keep us at #15 instead of #24.

We have a sample size of 1 here and we are going to get better on offense and hopefully somewhat on defense (for those of you surprised by the defense did you not WATCH the Raiders last year? We got their DC. The guy that couldn't produce with Mack and Irvin. Of COURSE we were going to struggle on D).

I don't see any scenario where there is a way to get back to greatness with this one. But I do see the ability of this offense to be great if we bother to use the pieces we have better.

(Then again we stopped throwing to Dissly yesterday after he was ripping the defense to shreds and we kept deciding that we would try Penny out near the goal line because Carson getting 7 yds a carry might have made it too easy.)

But we are probably in a better situation in assuming this was a bad game for Russ and he might have some good ones to offset it. Even decent QBs are hard to find, we have one that is far above average (but with a high variance in production). We have to keep him, but hopefully, we don't lock him up for years to come at crazy #s.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
xray":15wfo4rs said:
Wilson is not only NOT ELITE he is not even coachable anymore. Old coaches,new coaches same Wilson same results. Carroll has pampered him to the point of no return. He still does what he damn well wants to. He lost that game. I've been a Seahawks fan since the beginning 1976. Those of you that think Wilson is 'ALL THAT" don't understand the NFL.Wilson is now an easy QB to prepare for a defensive coordinator. BLITZ. He can't be a pocket passer because he is too short. His release is slow, His checkdowns are not there. His scrambling is not what it was. He is an average QB.that is regressing .Personally I would trade him before I would Earl Thomas. BYE BYE playoffs.

Well there's 14 seconds of my life I will never get back. :34853_doh:

justafan

Reaction score
The Pete experiment? Im not sure what that means.

The only reason we had a transition from playing good defense is career ending injuries,salary cap and old age.It happens.

Wilson still has the ability to be a SB winning QB but no QB does it alone.
Starr,Staubach,Griese,Bradshaw,Montana,Simms,Aikman,Farve,Warner,Elway, Brady,Roth,Rodgers and Wilson all had one thing in common when they won SBs and thats a top ten defense.

Consider all the HOF talent these guys had helping them on the offensive side of the ball. A whos who of football history. Wilson will never do it alone,nobody ever has.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was looking for the fine print that says "no puppies were kicked in the making of this doom and gloom post about the QB who I refuse to like" :lol:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
What does the word 'do' mean in your statement "Nobody does it alone"?

Are you equating success as 'going to the SB'? Because yes, then you need both sides of the team to be great (Unless you are the 2000 era Ravens). If by normal standards it means 'able to carry the team and be the main focus of the offense?' - I disagree.

Rodgers certainly does it without much help. Typically he has to play in icy weather, with no RB, and a pretty substandard defense. He does tend to have a very good OL.

Brees hasn't generally had a great RB. Kamara is a change but usually they don't have great ones. And Saints have generally had a somewhat porous defense but for a few instances (Dome Patrol, etc). Brees is going to the HOF in spite of those issues.

Ben had a number of years he was the primary focus of the team. And he had to score 30+ in spite of the vaunted Steeler D.

So I disagree that elite or even great QBs don't have to carry teams. That is why they get paid so much. In paying those QBs you strip the team of other assets that turn certain positions into weaknesses. The QB production HAS to offset that. Otherwise, you hamstring yourself. (Looking at you Baltimore Ravens)

If Russ cannot produce because he doesn't have the pieces around him, it will get worse when he is taking 30M from the cap and not producing - because we are going to lose other guys when we have to pay him. His production has to make up for that.

Great QBs carry their teams, that is literally the hallmark of an Elite QB.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Great QB's do carry their teams at times, and sometimes it's the other way around where the D does it's job well enough.

If the great QBs mentioned (Brees, Rodgers, Rothl...) are always so able to carry their teams, why don't they do it every time, and especially on the biggest stage in the SB? Brees and Rodgers only have 1 SB each, as does Russ (who has certainly put the team on his shoulders at times and carried).

justafan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":cj5r7d09 said:
What does the word 'do' mean in your statement "Nobody does it alone"?

Are you equating success as 'going to the SB'? Because yes, then you need both sides of the team to be great (Unless you are the 2000 era Ravens). If by normal standards it means 'able to carry the team and be the main focus of the offense?' - I disagree.

Rodgers certainly does it without much help. Typically he has to play in icy weather, with no RB, and a pretty substandard defense. He does tend to have a very good OL.

Brees hasn't generally had a great RB. Kamara is a change but usually they don't have great ones. And Saints have generally had a somewhat porous defense but for a few instances (Dome Patrol, etc). Brees is going to the HOF in spite of those issues.

Ben had a number of years he was the primary focus of the team. And he had to score 30+ in spite of the vaunted Steeler D.

So I disagree that elite or even great QBs don't have to carry teams. That is why they get paid so much. In paying those QBs you strip the team of other assets that turn certain positions into weaknesses. The QB production HAS to offset that. Otherwise, you hamstring yourself. (Looking at you Baltimore Ravens)

If Russ cannot produce because he doesn't have the pieces around him, it will get worse when he is taking 30M from the cap and not producing - because we are going to lose other guys when we have to pay him. His production has to make up for that.

Great QBs carry their teams, that is literally the hallmark of an Elite QB.

Wilson will never be Brees or Rodgers.Those two are among the best who ever played. You could argue top 5.

Wilson is a winner,give him an OL, good running game a,good D and he can be the playmaker that he has always been.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Wilson is a winner. He isn't Elite but he is close and on his good days, he is better than any of the Elite - even on THEIR good days.

But if you pay him $30M, you have to make choices that prevent you from getting:
A good OL
A good D
A good run game
A good receiving corps

You might be able to get 2 of the above, but otherwise, you have to sacrifice.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Well, at least more and more are willing to admit Wilson isn't elite. He's good and can play great but needs a lot of help to do it. Those past Seahawks who recently left the team knew that well and didn't like being told otherwise.

This last-gasp Pete C version could make for a brutal season.

Hoping for the best but fully expecting something else...

thegameq

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1sm64uqd said:
Wilson is a winner. He isn't Elite but he is close and on his good days, he is better than any of the Elite - even on THEIR good days.

But if you pay him $30M, you have to make choices that prevent you from getting:
A good OL
A good D
A good run game
A good receiving corps

There it is folks...plain as day.

I'll add that Russ is clearly becoming shell shocked. You can tell he isn't looking downfield onl all his drop backs. He still doesn't trust his offensive line--and you really can't blame him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":30aulfby said:

A good OL
A good D
A good run game
A good receiving corps

We've already been wrestling with this since we gave him his first big contract.

This is really the elephant in the room with Russell. Is he the kind of "elite" QB you can build a high powered offense around, pay elite $$$ to, and still win because that greatly compromises your defensive budget.

Let's be honest, we went to two SB's because yes Russell was good, but #1 was our elite defense. It's not a coincidence that as soon as that elite D started to crumble, so did our playoff success.

I honestly don't know if Russell is the kind of Rodgers/Brady/Brees slam dunk elite QB that you can pay crazy money to and still win consistently.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Aros":lghxn8l7 said:
xray":lghxn8l7 said:

Well there's 14 seconds of my life I will never get back. :34853_doh:

Every time I look at your moniker aros is 14 seconds added to my lifespan. I might be around for awhile. Go seahawks.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Seahawker76":1ozu521w said:
Every time I look at your moniker aros is 14 seconds added to my lifespan. I might be around for awhile. Go seahawks.

LOL...Favorite post today.