Serious- Has the shine wore off on Russ?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I have noticed on twitter, and other social media sites that Russ has been getting slammed lately. Even people in public who would defend him have now put the blame on him. Its crazy how people have turned on him and im honestly baffled. Was his shine from the team winning and his charm but now has worn off? Is it his off field issues(celeb now, articles leaking) or is it just on field?

Russ i really enjoy watching. I think he is very good and seems like a good person but obviously I dont know him. I have him as a Top 5 QB in the league but some people think he is 10-15 range. I personally think its his personality that rubs people the wrong way. I think this causes more issues then his "performance" . It sucks to see this because the same people who are ripping into him will miss him when he is gone.

I just feel like less people like him then before and thats from personal experience. The Seahawks fans i follow on twitter that loved russ are now saying he might be over rated and might be the issue. It just isnt a couple people either.

So i am asking my fellow Seahawks fans on this board, do you believe the shine has wore off on russ?

Steve2222

Reaction score
People would rather blame him than an uninspired offensive gameplay and a bandaid held OL these days. I mean we’re starting a RT that this time next year will probably no longer be in the NFL.

It’s funny too. Russell puts up crazy good and efficient numbers too. And none of those numbers are inflated by garbage time like a lot of QBs numbers are.

Teams have figured out how to contain Wilson from scrambling. What’s frustrating is our coaching staff has no idea how to counteract it. Where are all the designed boot legs and RPOs at???

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Let's start 33 threads about how Russ is somehow done, old and slow. He had an off game, the entire TEAM lost this game.

Steve2222

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":284oo3nc said:
Let's start 33 threads about how Russ is somehow done, old and slow. He had an off game, the entire TEAM lost this game.

It’s awesome when your QB plays poorly and still throws for 300 yards and 3 TDs and keeps your team within 3 points from winning

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Steve2222":37i0xvss said:
People would rather blame him than an uninspired offensive gameplay and a bandaid held OL these days.

Did you watch the last two drives when we had a chance to win or tie the game? This is much more than poor Russell's surrounded by incompetence.

For all of Russell's brilliance, and there's a lot. He still holds onto the ball too long, bails when he doesn't need to and misses receiver coming open.

I still love him, glad he's our QB, because this is a 3-4 win team without him. BUT, if he wants Aaron Rodgers money he has to do better than he did in 4th quarter yesterday. He was downright awful on those last two possessions, possessions that "elite" QB's like Rodgers march down the field and win you the game.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vgsiygw said:
Steve2222":2vgsiygw said:
People would rather blame him than an uninspired offensive gameplay and a bandaid held OL these days.

Did you watch the last two drives when we had a chance to win or tie the game? This is much more than poor Russell's surrounded by incompetence.

For all of Russell's brilliance, and there's a lot. He still holds onto the ball too long, bails when he doesn't need to and misses receiver coming open.

I still love him, glad he's our QB, because this is a 3-4 win team without him. BUT, if he wants Aaron Rodgers money he has to do better than he did in 4th quarter yesterday. He was downright awful on those last two possessions, possessions that "elite" QB's like Rodgers march down the field and win you the game.

I completely agree Russ needs to learn how to fight for another day. His biggest knock is taking 15 yard sacks when there’s nothing there.

rjdriver

Reaction score
It depends on what the shine is.

Best Seahawk QB ever. I’ve seen him do some magical things going all the way back to 2012. I’m a 40 plus year homer, so I perpetually think Russ is underrated, but.....

There was a time when I though Russell was at or was soon to be at the same exact level as Rodgers and Brady or Brees. Some days he is. By this I mean incredibly elite and consistent week in and week out, regardless of supporting cast. I’ve come to the realization that Russ isn’t there and probably won’t get there, and that’s OK. Watching Erin yesterday and not even blinking when he brought them back, because it was expected. Russell isn’t as good, and that’s OK. If being top three or winning MVP is the shine, than I think some of the luster is lost, but he’s still a top 10 guy who is capable of taking over a game at any moment.

Of course, he typically plays better as the year progresses so who knows.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3v7vfolc said:
I have noticed on twitter, and other social media sites that Russ has been getting slammed lately. Even people in public who would defend him have now put the blame on him. Its crazy how people have turned on him and im honestly baffled. Was his shine from the team winning and his charm but now has worn off? Is it his off field issues(celeb now, articles leaking) or is it just on field?

Russ i really enjoy watching. I think he is very good and seems like a good person but obviously I dont know him. I have him as a Top 5 QB in the league but some people think he is 10-15 range. I personally think its his personality that rubs people the wrong way. I think this causes more issues then his "performance" . It sucks to see this because the same people who are ripping into him will miss him when he is gone.

I just feel like less people like him then before and thats from personal experience. The Seahawks fans i follow on twitter that loved russ are now saying he might be over rated and might be the issue. It just isnt a couple people either.

So i am asking my fellow Seahawks fans on this board, do you believe the shine has wore off on russ?

To answer what you are asking in this post directly... I think people may be turning on him, mostly from over saturation. The marriage to a music star, awards shows, endorsements, Trace Me app, shoes, commercials, trips - he is everywhere. I think the whole "Unlimited" thing did not help his cause at all. He doesn't post the sweet pics from Children's Hospital anymore. He has become an empire and a media machine - and by the way, I don't begrudge him. He maximizing his earnings and impact while he is young and vibrant.

But, we have seen this time and time again. People want to go after mega stars.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Yes. He can make the amazing sandlot plays and have streaks of brilliance, but the simple plays a good QB should be able to make he still struggles with. He is a good QB that you absolutely can win with - but he has limitations. Of course we shouldn't look at it in a vacuum - his coaches, OL, receivers, etc share in the blame; but if Russ wants to be one of the elite he needs to start playing better.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Put this in the other forum, but I think people's problem with Russ is that they might be coming to terms with him maybe still being the same player he's always been.

As fans we take every young player and assume they're going to improve, and oftentimes, they are who they are.

In Wilson yesterday I saw all the same strengths and same weaknesses that I've seen across his whole career.

Are his weaknesses still the fault of the offensive coordinator when his weaknesses were supposed to be the fault of the last offensive coordinator?

Is the problem just the offensive line when even Wilson said that half the sacks he took yesterday were entirely his fault, and they were his fault in the way that some of the sacks he has taken always taken have always been his fault (holding the ball too long, and running into sacks while trying to break contain from non-existent pressure)?

To be clear Wilson is still a very, very good QB, but as he nears 30 (he turns 30 this season) I think fans might be coming to terms with the fact that he might just continue to be the player he has always been, diamonds and pearls and warts and all.

IMO Hawks fans who this morning are saying he sucks are totally wrong -- he only sucks according to what have been unrealistic expectations about him growing into a different player than the one he has been.

(re: his decline in efficiency over the years, that's easily explained by the increased emphasis on him in the offense -- we'd expect declining efficiency in those scenarios. He's still the same guy, just being leaned on more.)

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":vsrec26q said:
Steve2222":vsrec26q said:

Over reaction Monday.

Wilson has league leading numbers when it comes to game winning drives. He fails 1 week and it's walk the friggin plank matey!!.

TA-Pirates-Logo.jpg

HawkGA

Reaction score
Steve2222":3paw8pk0 said:
SoulfishHawk":3paw8pk0 said:

It’s awesome when your QB plays poorly and still throws for 300 yards and 3 TDs and keeps your team within 3 points from winning

The wording of the last sentence is funny and I don't think at all what you meant. But perhaps Russ had good stats and still kept the team from winning.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2vt0h1tp said:
Sgt. Largent":2vt0h1tp said:
Steve2222":2vt0h1tp said:

Over reaction Monday.

Wilson has league leading numbers when it comes to game winning drives. He fails 1 week and it's walk the friggin plank matey!!.

TA-Pirates-Logo.jpg

For sure it's an overreaction, that's why I made sure to use a disclaimer that I still love Russell.

But if we're handing out blame yesterday, IMO he's front and center on those last two drives. That's a game he needs to take over and win. Fumbled snap, backed into a sack and just looked completely lost on all his throws.

Not good enough for me.

endzorn

Reaction score
I’m worried Seattle will waste the prime years of his career by making foolish decisions on the offensive line. If anything, I’m worried that Schneider and Carroll are starting to lose their edge on personnel matters. Wilson has spent the last few years trying to survive as much as trying to shine.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":o8yqeroh said:

Actually its a different type of thread and from now reading other threads in here, i got my answer.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There was a belief that Russ in his highs was the 'real Russ' and the OC was holding him back with the grind it out game planning.

Now people aren't sure. The 'Real Russ' might be the Russell we always saw. We were cherry-picking his best moments (4th quarter comebacks) and projecting those out over 4 quarters.

My own take is that 'if the separation is in the preparation' as Wilson himself told anyone that was listening - then he isn't separating because he isn't preparing like he used to. Much of that likely IS all the outside distractions. His decision-making was actually better his first 2 years than now.

But....he is learning a new system and having to adapt to no longer having the luxury of a defense that will bail him out when he fails on a drive. This was 1 game against a very good Denver defense. He will look better.

But people are starting to do that math, look at what this team will look like stripped even more bare (after paying Russ) and are naturally worried about what that does to the production of this team overall. To say there is less optimism is an understatement.

But QBs get most of the accolades from the successes, and they also take most of the blame from the failures.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2bnozvlp said:
Seymour":2bnozvlp said:
Sgt. Largent":2bnozvlp said:
Steve2222":2bnozvlp said:

Over reaction Monday.

TA-Pirates-Logo.jpg

For sure it's an overreaction, that's why I made sure to use a disclaimer that I still love Russell.

But if we're handing out blame yesterday, IMO he's front and center on those last two drives. That's a game he needs to take over and win. Fumbled snap, backed into a sack and just looked completely lost on all his throws.

Not good enough for me.

I agree with the highlighted comment. I disagree that it effects his contract and salary talks. The sample size over time says yesterday was more the exception than the rule. Wilson has always struggled against top 3 D lines. The Rams should have taught us this by now.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":jzcy5lvw said:
Shanegotyou11":jzcy5lvw said:

To answer what you are asking in this post directly... I think people may be turning on him, mostly from over saturation. The marriage to a music star, awards shows, endorsements, Trace Me app, shoes, commercials, trips - he is everywhere. I think the whole "Unlimited" thing did not help his cause at all. He doesn't post the sweet pics from Children's Hospital anymore. He has become an empire and a media machine - and by the way, I don't begrudge him. He maximizing his earnings and impact while he is young and vibrant.

But, we have seen this time and time again. People want to go after mega stars.

Thank you. Thats a good reply. I was utterly shocked at same people who defended him turn on him last night. I mean i will say when someone plays bad but these people were saying cut him and he sucks.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2oyoefd0 said:
Put this in the other forum, but I think people's problem with Russ is that they might be coming to terms with him maybe still being the same player he's always been.

As fans we take every young player and assume they're going to improve, and oftentimes, they are who they are.

In Wilson yesterday I saw all the same strengths and same weaknesses that I've seen across his whole career.

Are his weaknesses still the fault of the offensive coordinator when his weaknesses were supposed to be the fault of the last offensive coordinator?

Is the problem just the offensive line when even Wilson said that half the sacks he took yesterday were entirely his fault, and they were his fault in the way that some of the sacks he has taken always taken have always been his fault (holding the ball too long, and running into sacks while trying to break contain from non-existent pressure)?

To be clear Wilson is still a very, very good QB, but as he nears 30 (he turns 30 this season) I think fans might be coming to terms with the fact that he might just continue to be the player he has always been, diamonds and pearls and warts and all.

IMO Hawks fans who this morning are saying he sucks are totally wrong -- he only sucks according to what have been unrealistic expectations about him growing into a different player than the one he has been.

(re: his decline in efficiency over the years, that's easily explained by the increased emphasis on him in the offense -- we'd expect declining efficiency in those scenarios. He's still the same guy, just being leaned on more.)

Very good post.