Fieldgulls: Justin Britt's excellent performance vs. DEN

sutz

Reaction score
Entering his 4th year, right? Britt is coming into his own. :2thumbs:

As for 2017, I'm not sure you can blame Britt. The staff took a lot of chances with OL personnel. We were painfully young across the line until Brown was brought in, and he was hobbled for much of his playing time.

This year, at least we don't have any rookies starting IIRC. Even a 2d year player is usually an improvement over his 1st year. One school of thought is that OL takes about 3 years to really get up to speed for the pro game.

Play like that described in the article is why the Seahawks extended Britt for 3 more years. :2thumbs:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ifedi is now in his 3rd season, regrettably he seems to have missed the improvement.

Pocic in his second season looks to be better than as a rookie and the left side of the line is solid, the right side so far has been significantly disappointing.

sutz

Reaction score
jammerhawk":ucovtp2f said:
Ifedi is now in his 3rd season, regrettably he seems to have missed the improvement.

Pocic in his second season looks to be better than as a rookie and the left side of the line is solid, the right side so far has been significantly disappointing.
Well, against one of the best LDEs in the league, I'll be watching for a few games before making any definitive judgements. IIRC, Ifedi had 1 false start. That's better than a lot of games he's played in. With the RG position a bit in flux due to injuries, it's hard to get the continuity they need.

I'm not saying they did well, just that I think they are showing progress.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Agree with Sutz. Ifedi got beat, but on the road, during Week 1, against Von Miller. We could see an average OL out of him yet this year.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Pretty sure this is at least Britt's 5th year.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":2ojj8l6i said:
Pretty sure this is at least Britt's 5th year.
Ummmm, drafted 2014, so I guess you're right. :2thumbs:

But he had two years before he moved in to center IIRC. He was a tackle, played guard, then finally moved in. Would made this his 3rd season at center.

lobohawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3hkk3u2u said:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/9/13/17853104/seattle-seahawks-breakdown-justin-britt-excellent-performance-vs-the-denver-broncos-week-one

I felt Britt relapsed in 2017. Good to see him rebounding early against a solid DL on the road. I'd like to see what he does with Fluker beside him.

Even having another week of practice with Sweez will help. Both Britt and Ifedi. The last min switch couldn't have helped, since Sweezey hadn't practiced as much.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
sutz":2h3ihwxv said:
jammerhawk":2h3ihwxv said:

Well, against one of the best LDEs in the league, I'll be watching for a few games before making any definitive judgements. IIRC, Ifedi had 1 false start. That's better than a lot of games he's played in. With the RG position a bit in flux due to injuries, it's hard to get the continuity they need.

I suspect like many others I'm being overly critical and will acknowledge that the OLine as a whole has show some improvement, but that the right side is very weak still. Sweezy having another week to prepare as the starter at RG will help start solidifying the right side and helping Ifedi improve. all in all however, while Ifedi seems to have ideal size he seems slow footed and unable to handle speed rushers with any consistency while being a magnet for stupid drive killing penalties.

I am worried that unless the team gives Ifedi full time help against Khalil Mack Russel will be eating a lot of turf this Monday night.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2afmzpmo said:
Agree with Sutz. Ifedi got beat, but on the road, during Week 1, against Von Miller. We could see an average OL out of him yet this year.
He got ran over in preseason too, Ifedi is a lost cause.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":bqvocnnw said:
MontanaHawk05":bqvocnnw said:
He got ran over in preseason too, Ifedi is a lost cause.

Bounded back nicely in Week 3.

THE TABS

Reaction score
Justin Britt is to the Seahawks what Mike Zunino is to the Mariners. People like to pump him up and sell him as being good, but he’s just NOT THAT GOOD.

Resigning him to that extension was a big mistake. Ethan Pocic should be our center, and we should have brought in two new guards to rebuild the interior line so that we can compete with the Rams.

The Breh

Reaction score
THE TABS":1258h48r said:
Justin Britt is to the Seahawks what Mike Zunino is to the Mariners. People like to pump him up and sell him as being good, but he’s just NOT THAT GOOD.

Resigning him to that extension was a big mistake. Ethan Pocic should be our center, and we should have brought in two new guards to rebuild the interior line so that we can compete with the Rams.
He was s Pro-Bowl alternate the year before last.
Giving him an extension gives us some semblance of continuity.
Why would we throw a rookie in at C with zero experience at the level when Britt was Pro-Bowl level the year before?
Especially when Britt finally found a spot he excelled, we just start all over again?
C'mon man.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
THE TABS":5ozoku4t said:

What support do you have for this assertion?

Because between you and the article, the article's the only one giving tape and analysis at the moment.

THE TABS

Reaction score
The Breh":3bkwlv9x said:
He was s Pro-Bowl alternate the year before last.Giving him an extension gives us some semblance of continuity.
Why would we throw a rookie in at C with zero experience at the level when Britt was Pro-Bowl level the year before?
Especially when Britt finally found a spot he excelled, we just start all over again?
C'mon man.

Continuity on a consistently bad unit? No thanks, I’d rather get better.

Pocic has played the majority of his career at center, and he anchored a line at LSU that paved the way for Leonard Fornette. Playing him out of position at guard does him, and the whole line, a disservice. Lack of experience is a lame excuse.

Britt is not a good center; it’s the one line position where he has sucked THE LEAST. He is a failed tackle and guard, and playing center has minimized his ineffectiveness.

Pro Bowlers don’t get consistently lit up like he does. If he was truly a great center, then Aaron Donald wouldn’t be owning us every year.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
THE TABS":2rmk6gj4 said:
The Breh":2rmk6gj4 said:
He was s Pro-Bowl alternate the year before last.Giving him an extension gives us some semblance of continuity.
C'mon man.

Pocic has played the majority of his career at center, and he anchored a line at LSU that paved the way for Leonard Fornette. Playing him out of position at guard does him, and the whole line, a disservice. Lack of experience is a lame excuse.

Britt is not a good center; it’s the one line position where he has sucked THE LEAST. He is a failed tackle and guard, and playing center has minimized his ineffectiveness.

Pro Bowlers don’t get consistently lit up like he does. If he was truly a great center, then Aaron Donald wouldn’t be owning us every year.

This is a joke, correct? Donald owns the best centers and guards in the league.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
THE TABS":30mgr4hm said:
The Breh":30mgr4hm said:
C'mon man.

Britt doesn't get consistently lit up though. He has some stretches where he actually plays some really good ball. Last season the whole line struggled, even our probowl left tackle. I know its not saying much but Britt was the best player on the line last year for a good portion, and the year before that. Letting our best lineman go would be idiotic in our situation.

purpleneer

Reaction score
I don't disagree with the overall sentiment of the article, but I really disagree with his read on the hurdle run. It's pretty clearly (unless I'm wrong) designed to be a run up the middle, off the butt of Dissly's block. Britt's contact with the slanting lineman is incidental, not by design nor vital, and Marshall's indecisiveness made that block easy. In fact, it looks like Britt should have expected Carson to pass him on the other side. Carson bounces it outside due to Miller attacking the inside of Ifedi and Stewart's hard fill.
And on the first play, Britt does well enough that "Is now a good time to point out that both players on the right side of the line whiffed their blocks? No? Ok, I’ll move on.)" is unnecessarily harsh at best. The degree of reach and the ground given up by the down defender make expecting Ifedi's block to be better unreasonable.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
sutz":3nqm1mid said:
jammerhawk":3nqm1mid said:

Duane Brown gave up more pressures than Ifedi did. Maybe he needs to be cut, too.

Jville

Reaction score
It's the uncertainty about the details of the call, player assignment/rules, real time decision/execution and degrees of injury that make assertions about lineman value so varied and popular to second guess.

As much as I enjoy Sweezy, I'm curious as to how much better Britt will become once DJ Fluker becomes healthy and he accumulates more time with Ethan Pocic.

The interior line is an interesting unfolding story.

Go Hawks!