2 tight end sets?

pmedic920

Reaction score
Make fun if you must but I’m really curious about this, so make fun, then answer the question.

I’ll preface with this.

I’m a Cheerleader type fan, I’ve always stated it when the topic arises.

I’m not a Xs & Os guy, I’m not a statistician, nor a historian.
I’m a very passionate Cheerleader.

So, what about 2 TE sets?

Dough is down, or so I thought.
We need to protect Russ.

It seems too me that putting 2 TEs on the line would bolster the Oline & give an extra guy to protect Russ.

One TE can chip a guy, then go out 3,4,5 yards.
Russ could dink & dunk like so many teams do to us.

It just seems like something that could work well but we don’t do much of it.

I’m not saying we should do it all the time, I’m just wondering if it would work/help, and asking if there’s a reason we don’t do more of it.

We currently have a couple of pretty good TEs, we’re thin on WRs, and our O Line (although playing better) needs some help.

My simple mind says, if you only need 3.5 yards on the first 3 downs, this 2 TE set thing could be a good thing.

Am I crazy for thinking this?
Is it simply an antiquated line up that everyone can easily defend?

Please teach me about 2 TE sets, and why we should/shouldn’t use more of them.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not crazy at all, with this O Line, I love the thought of a TE on each side to help out with these pass rushers.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I don't have the stats, but I think we ran a good deal of this in the preseason and perhaps Week 1. Schotty seems to like TEs and does some creative stuff out of two TE sets.

The problem with blocking with TEs is that it takes guys out of the routes and gives the QB fewer options. Our Max Protect packages have been mixed bags because sometimes we still let pressure through even with seven or eight guys in. Also, the problem with running out of this formation, unless done creatively, is that it stacks the box and puts stress on the OL to win their matchups, which is not a good idea for our guys IMO. The Rams ran 11 personnel most frequently last year, which lightens the box and allowed Gurley to go off.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
adeltaY":168a9cix said:
I don't have the stats, but I think we ran a good deal of this in the preseason and perhaps Week 1. Schotty seems to like TEs and does some creative stuff out of two TE sets.

The problem with blocking with TEs is that it takes guys out of the routes and gives the QB fewer options. Our Max Protect packages have been mixed bags because sometimes we still let pressure through even with seven or eight guys in. Also, the problem with running out of this formation, unless done creatively, is that it stacks the box and puts stress on the OL to win their matchups, which is not a good idea for our guys IMO. The Rams ran 11 personnel most frequently last year, which lightens the box and allowed Gurley to go off.

Ok, in terms of “stacking the box”, wouldn’t that give the WR a better chance of being one on one out in space?
Seems to me that it would, and Brandon M. is pretty good in that situation.

Is it your opinion that the 2 TE set would close more doors than it opens, give Russ less time, or fewer options?

I’m not trying to put you on the spot, I’m actually trying to learn something.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Oh, I'm no expert either, this is just some stuff I've picked up over the years of reading more football stuff so if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I think 2 TE sets have their place, especially with how Schotty can use them to fool defenses with motions and play action. I just wanted to raise the point that running from "heavy" formations actually makes it harder because the defense responds by stacking the box. Now, running PA with more guys in the box and thus more one-on-ones, that's a good idea!

Fade

Reaction score
Schematically the logic is Russell is more effective when the field is spread, 2 TEs congests things.

2 TEs certainly have there place and will be run to give different looks, but Russ and therefore the offense is at it's best in 11 personnel. (1 Back, 1 TE, 3 WRs.)

Jville

Reaction score
pmedic920":3qr783bn said:
So, what about 2 TE sets?

Dough is down, or so I thought.
We need to protect Russ.

It seems too me that putting 2 TEs on the line would bolster the Oline & give an extra guy to protect Russ.

One TE can chip a guy, then go out 3,4,5 yards.
Russ could dink & dunk like so many teams do to us.

It just seems like something that could work well but we don’t do much of it.

I'm working on posting less often on the touchy subject of the passing game and pass protection. But your post strikes me as a sincere inquiry. So in my humble opinion (IMHO)......

A personnel grouping that includes either a second tight end or a second running back signals run. With two tight ends on the line of scrimmage along with the 5 linemen, it forces everyone in an eight man defensive box to be responsible for a gap up on the line of scrimmage. The beauty of having versatile tight ends is that they can line up at different spots and in so doing set up opportunities to exploit a given defensive personnel grouping. Tight ends can set up in a balanced look with one on each side. Or, they can show an unbalanced influence lining up on the same side. There are the options of resetting at full back, in the slot or on the out side. Versatility at tight end really opens up the play book for an offense committed to assert it's will by running the football.

Although we hear announcers talk about max protection for quarterbacks, there is still only so much the inclusion of a second tight end can bring to pass protection. Quarterback style has a great deal to do with the perceived success of pass blocking. I appreciated the recent "Popeyejones" mention of Payton Manning and his affect on lineman as representative from the opposite end of quarterback spectrum. A Peyton Manning style makes everyone look great at pass protection. Pocket precision that quickly gets the ball on its way from a planned launch spot makes life easier on both protection and receivers. With that style of quarterback, blockers and receivers can execute with full confidence in benefiting from planned leverage. On the other hand, with someone more inclined to bolt for improv and change direction to prolong the time of execution ....... it's more like a wild wild west show ..... not unlike the days of Fran Tarkenton who played for many many years. Entertaining and enjoyable but more demanding of team mates IMHO.

Go Hawks!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pmedic920":ywh3lovn said:

On the first play against Denver, they gave Ifedi TWO tight ends on the right side to protect Russ.

All three got beat. By two defenders.