Would You Trade Russell Wilson For Three 1st Round Picks?

nategreat

Reaction score
Now first off, let me just say that I am a huge believer in Russell Wilson and have always supported him 100%. Without a doubt, the best QB in franchise history in my opinion, and one of the very best in the league, in a time when Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers have roamed the gridiron.

I would absolutely hate having to trade him; I would be very disappointed because not only are we worse off without him, but games would be much less exciting to watch; and let's face it, sports are entertainment, albeit very emotional forms of it.

However, I came upon this article, which states that there have been several GM's around the league who suggest Russell Wilson could possibly get THREE 1st round draft picks if he were to be traded. I don't know how much stock can be taken in this, but, hypothetically, considering salary and future ramifications, would you do it? I'm not sure if I would; I'm leaning towards no (EDIT: I'm changing that to a firm no), especially when getting that franchise QB can be such a crapshoot, especially someone as good as Russell Wilson. Here's a snippet of the article, but what say ye?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...wilson-as-long-term-future-remains-uncertain/

The Seahawks clearly still have ample time to work something out with the perennial All-Pro, though the months following the 2018 season will certainly bring the matter to a head. Going year-to-year on the franchise tag, especially for an elite quarterback in his prime, is less than ideal. Allowing Wilson to enter the final year of his contract at a time when contracts continue to soar and the cap continues to increase significantly (and could so even more with a wave of gambling-related revenue on top of the now-massive streaming rights) is risky, and Wilson's trade value would be at its peak next winter, with some general managers I spoke to believing Wilson could fetch potentially three first-round picks in return.

THE TABS

Reaction score
We went 35 years without a franchise quarterback, and I have no interest in waiting 35 more for another one.

Any thought of trading Russ is pure insanity, even if you’re playing Madden. Fortunately, Russ’s biggest fan just happens to be our GM, so we can stop this ridiculous notion now.

Seymour

Reaction score
Would I trade Wilson for Ifedi, McDowell, and Penny?? LOL...really? Hell to the no!!

And the article is BS! Since when do we talk contract before 1 year remaining??? NEVER. Not even Wilson the first time did we, so why would we now? It's pointless given the condition of the team right now anyway. We need to see if he bounces back from Cable (and yes Pete because he allowed it) attempting to destroy his confidence and his will to survive.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade him for four. Any team that gets him is immediately a super bowl contender and would be a low first round pick. No thanks.
Even if if they were high picks I would not do it.

TreeRon

Reaction score
#1. No I would not.
a. the picks would more than likely be 3 consecutive years, not all at once.
b. not all 1st round picks are equal.
c. only the first 5 1st round picks are likely keepers, anything after that ????
d. after the first year all the rest would be late in the round as RW would make whomever a contender.
#2. Any team he went to would let Russ be Russ. They'd not be constantly trying to negate his athleticism.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
THE TABS":2cz8lk26 said:
We went 35 years without a franchise quarterback, and I have no interest in waiting 35 more for another one.

Any thought of trading Russ is pure insanity, even if you’re playing Madden. Fortunately, Russ’s biggest fan just happens to be our GM, so we can stop this ridiculous notion now.
Wrong...
Dave Krieg was absolutely a franchise QB..
With a great D like RW had ..We likely get to a SB or two.
As for the title..I'm a yes of course providing we have a new GM
because the FO isn't good with high picks ..I have stated my
reasons for the yes time and time again so no need here.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"Dave Krieg was absolutely a franchise QB.."
:34853_doh:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TreeRon":m0b0gk13 said:
You obviously wasn't watching games back then to understand.

TreeRon

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3w1d6cpb said:
TreeRon":3w1d6cpb said:

Been a Hawks fan since Patera and I don't understand.

Krieg was a journeyman QB, not bad, but certainly not elite and if you are a franchise qb, you are elite.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think you might be able to get more but 30 million a year and 3 high picks would be interesting. Dont forget a franchise quartback didn't win us the Superbowl a great team with a game manger for a quarterback did.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lets just say this, Chuck Knox did not want a franchise QB he wanted a franchise RB, he never wanted to trust the game to a QB and had stated so, Behring and Flores stepped in and drafted Dan McGwire, traded for Stouffer and Dave was sent to KC shortly after So we went from a Journeyman Semi Franchise guy who just won games to the Carrot and the Butt pass expert.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
getnasty":3664rj6c said:
I think you might be able to get more but 30 million a year and 3 high picks would be interesting. Dont forget a franchise quartback didn't win us the Superbowl a great team with a game manger for a quarterback did.
The chances that Pete Carroll and Jon Schneider are ever able to build a team like that is unlikely. It was a once in a generation team that had a defense on par with the 1985 Bears, and 2000 Ravens. It was a historically great team that may have multiple hall of famers by the time their careers are over. Teams like that are rare even with talented scouts, and guys that have a knack for drafting. Thus far, given our drafts since 2012 the fantastic drafting we did in 2010-2012 is starting to look more like the result of insider knowledge -- especially given some of the talent we have passed up for guys that are no longer in the league or are fringe players.

I don't trust Jon Schneider or Pete Carroll to make the right decision with those draft picks or find a viable replacement for Wilson. These are the same guys that were enamored with Clipboard Jesus, and Nate Allen.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TreeRon":3ouxian1 said:
IndyHawk":3ouxian1 said:
TreeRon":3ouxian1 said:

Been a Hawks fan since Patera and I don't understand.

Krieg was a journeyman QB, not bad, but certainly not elite and if you are a franchise qb, you are elite.
He was in Seattle for 11 years and never had a D near like RW had..
that year Warner got hurt who carried them?I said franchise not elite..
I don't consider RW elite either..

blackjack203

Reaction score
I've thought about this topic a lot as well. No, not three unknown 1st rd picks but if a team came to me with picks and a reasonably young QB with an upside I would. Sam Darnold, Andrew Luck, or someone with a high upside along with picks, yes, then I would do it. Growing weary of watching a 5'10 QB missing guys over the middle and more importantly, growing weary of RW not being known as a guy who audibles, helps make line calls, and otherwise sets up the OL for success. WR's in Seattle also aren't being "thrown open" like they are on other teams. Combine that with the savings in cap space, yes, I would do it.

Having said that, if I was GM I would be saving money to live off of if the trade went poorly.

RCATES

Reaction score
Is this a serious question. If the pick was from a bad team and was a top 5 included I’d trade him for a single first.