But Why so many injuries???

Seymour

Reaction score
OK so it's obvious we are having injury problems over the last few years but this year it is epidemic proportion after 1 flippen game?? First of all 11 players total on the injury report to Chicago's 1 player? Red flag...huge red flag. 2nd of all look at the type of injuries we are seeing. Many are signs of poor condition or improper stretching and warm up...and it's still summer and we are just getting started.
These 4 are most concerning and should be pretty easy to avoid with proper warm up...

Tre Flowers
CB Hamstring

D.J. Fluker
G/T Hamstring

Delano Hill
SS Hamstring

Bobby Wagner
LB Groin

I have to seriously wonder about our conditioning program and pre game / pre practice stretching that is being managed poorly? Any other ideas about this pathetic start to the season on the roster injuries?

https://www.seahawks.com/team/injury-report/

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This is next level for sure, especially this early. And that doesn't even count losing Avril and Kam for good, and the guys who have departed. Wags, KJ and Doug all out? That's brutal.
Sad thing is that it is a truly real excuse for if they were to lose tonight. There's making excuses and there's reality.
If they can't run the ball tonight, they have no shot.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think Procise has demonstrated repeatedly that the pre-game stretching is too strenuous for him.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkGA":32ne624t said:
I think Procise has demonstrated repeatedly that the pre-game stretching is too strenuous for him.

LOL....exactly my point!!

Players making it optional should not be an option. :141847_bnono:

I know this was a joke, but at this point I wonder if Pete is just being too hands off and too "let them be themselves" and players are passing on important pre warm ups?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yes it seems like we've had way more than our fair share of injuries, but it's been a league wide epidemic for a while now.

Why? Good question. My opinion is the sport is just softer now. Football all the way down to Pop Warner now has micro-managed contact limitations for health reasons. Less contact = less toughness and ability to manage pain.

Jack Youngblood played in a Pro Bowl with a broken leg, Ronnie Lott cut off his half his finger at the end of a season because it was so mangled it would have made him miss the beginning of the next season if he tried to repair it. So he cut the damn thing off.

Bottom line, we got a bunch of Ferrari's running around like Prosise that once sustain even the smallest injury, are in the shop for two weeks..................... and not enough Jeeps that can take punishment and keep playing.

It's not their fault, it's the way the game's changed. For the player's health, it's good thing, hopefully it means they won't have their life shortened by 20 years. But for teams and fans? It's frustrating as hell having 20% of your roster unavailable for the 2nd game of the season.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
If you’ve watched the pregame shows, you’ll see players in shorts running around the stadium. As a matter of fact, you’ll even see some players walk on a snow covered stadium in shorts. Do they properly warm up and stretch at that time? Nope.

But, when they walk on the stadium fully dressed, the team lines up and stretches. They also do a lot of drills many saw during TC...so they are stretching and warming up as a team....some may not take it so seriously, but they still do it.

As for individual players, Bobby Wagner has been in the system for 6 years so he knows the tempo of the practice and pregame warm ups. No surprise there. Same can be said about Hill who’s in his second year in the program. Neither had many major set backs until now so I would suspect they should have years ago if the team had questionable pregame practices.

As for Flowers, he played extensively throughout the preseason. The team goes thru the same pregame routine during preseason games so no team changes there. I don’t think he would suddenly change his pregame warm up routine on the first game of the year. And, he didn’t suffer any strains or pulls in TC or Preseason.

On the flip side, the training staff took care of Brandon Marshall and Dion Jordan. They played extensively in the first game and they are not listed on the injury report.

I know where you are going with this, but I just don’t see it.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xlk7zns said:
Yes it seems like we've had way more than our fair share of injuries, but it's been a league wide epidemic for a while now.

Why? Good question. My opinion is the sport is just softer now. Football all the way down to Pop Warner now has micro-managed contact limitations for health reasons. Less contact = less toughness and ability to manage pain.

Jack Youngblood played in a Pro Bowl with a broken leg, Ronnie Lott cut off his half his finger at the end of a season because it was so mangled it would have made him miss the beginning of the next season if he tried to repair it. So he cut the damn thing off.

Bottom line, we got a bunch of Ferrari's running around like Prosise that once sustain even the smallest injury, are in the shop for two weeks..................... and not enough Jeeps that can take punishment and keep playing.

It's not their fault, it's the way the game's changed. For the player's health, it's good thing, hopefully it means they won't have their life shortened by 20 years. But for teams and fans? It's frustrating as hell having 20% of your roster unavailable for the 2nd game of the season.

I don't play fantasy football but won't this pretty much destroy that game if it continues?

I hear what you are saying about toughness being a factor, but the lack of contact and limited practices could likely be the bigger part of it I agree. Everyone is all powder puff until Sunday then it's light em up time is going to elevate injuries as well IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3vot1xpy said:
Sgt. Largent":3vot1xpy said:

I don't play fantasy football but won't this pretty much destroy that game if it continues?

I hear what you are saying about toughness being a factor, but the lack of contact and limited practices could likely be the bigger part of it I agree. Everyone is all powder puff until Sunday then it's light em up time is going to elevate injuries as well IMO.

It's all connected, and yes it's ruining the game...........cause whether the NFL wants to admit it or not, the LARGE majority of interest in their sports is gambling related, either with serious gamblers in Vegas, or fantasy football.

But yes, toughness is directly connected to the lack of contact allowed. I'm not trying to paint he players as soft, so that's a harsh word cause football players are tough as hell for playing the sport. But the fact that they're not allowed to tackle and hit the large majority of the year, and now well into training camp? It's made for FAR more injuries than there used to be.

My solution, expand rosters and raise the cap even more. 53 isn't enough, make it 60 or even 70. But that means the owners get less of the pie, so good luck getting that approved.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
truehawksfan":2jj3p09e said:
If you’ve watched the pregame shows, you’ll see players in shorts running around the stadium. As a matter of fact, you’ll even see some players walk on a snow covered stadium in shorts. Do they properly warm up and stretch at that time? Nope.

But, when they walk on the stadium fully dressed, the team lines up and stretches. They also do a lot of drills many saw during TC...so they are stretching and warming up as a team....some may not take it so seriously, but they still do it.

As for individual players, Bobby Wagner has been in the system for 6 years so he knows the tempo of the practice and pregame warm ups. No surprise there. Same can be said about Hill who’s in his second year in the program. Neither had many major set backs until now so I would suspect they should have years ago if the team had questionable pregame practices.

As for Flowers, he played extensively throughout the preseason. The team goes thru the same pregame routine during preseason games so no team changes there. I don’t think he would suddenly change his pregame warm up routine on the first game of the year. And, he didn’t suffer any strains or pulls in TC or Preseason.

On the flip side, the training staff took care of Brandon Marshall and Dion Jordan. They played extensively in the first game and they are not listed on the injury report.

I know where you are going with this, but I just don’t see it.

Some good points...thank you. I hear you on "where I am going". I am a strong believer in "there is a reason for everything", and I was just finding the logical path to an explanation. At this point I do not believe "just bad luck" is the reason myself. We may never know though..

mikeak

Reaction score
Don’t forget a scrutiny on every player like there wasn’t in the past

Don’t forget that all players are faster and stronger so the hits adds up faster

The more veterans the more injuries

I think when it happens year after year (Chargers) there is a conditioning / training issue in the system

When you have one bad year then it can obviously be a system issue but also pure bad luck

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
truehawksfan":qfhwomby said:
On the flip side, the training staff took care of Brandon Marshall and Dion Jordan. They played extensively in the first game and they are not listed on the injury report..

Rams also rested everyone of important the entire camp, and main players never played one down of the pre-season snaps. Now their one of the healthiest rosters in the league.

So this is a very real thing, teams starting to manage player contact in pre-season. Unfortunately for us Pete is old school and just plays his guys and doesn't worry about injuries.

Well........maybe he should.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smellyman":27qae9lt said:
Blame doesn't always have to be placed. It's bad luck

Bad luck is an anomaly, this many injuries league wide? That's a trend.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
You certainly have to wonder what's up with all the injuries?

The injury bug has truly bitten hard early this season and many of he injuries seem to be somewhat conditioning related.

I wonder if the team keep records of the type or frequency of this type of injury which does point the finger somewhat at the player's conditioning or the lack of adjustment by the team in terms of stretching and type of exercise needed to prevent the type of injury.

To me it's likely just probably buzzard luck, but there could be something in this. The question is a fair question to be posed.

chris98251

Reaction score
One team an anomaly, two teams a coincidence, three and four or more a trend.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you'd like to try your hand at some amateur analysis look at something called a chi-squared test. The excel function is CHISQ.TEST(observed, expected) and the output is a probability between 0 and 1 expressing how likely it is that what you've observed could be due to randomness. Interesting inputs would be Seahawks injuries vs. league injuries over time, particularly filtered by injury category linked to conditioning.

My hypothesis remains that our injury history has been close enough to league norms to attribute to bad luck.

Sgt. Largent":3qbznr6g said:
It's all connected, and yes it's ruining the game...........cause whether the NFL wants to admit it or not, the LARGE majority of interest in their sports is gambling related, either with serious gamblers in Vegas, or fantasy football.
It does suck when it's the Hawks having key injuries but I would argue the increase in variability actually helps the league. NFL gambling is just a lot more fun than in most other sports because of the unpredictability, and fan interest is also sky high. There's been one scratch line in the first 32 games due to the Rodgers injury but that isn't too bad.

We're also only two weeks into the NFL season and already have an entire season's worth of MLB or NBA storylines, in part due to the injury factor.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":17nxcbke said:
If you'd like to try your hand at some amateur analysis look at something called a chi-squared test. The excel function is CHISQ.TEST(observed, expected) and the output is a probability between 0 and 1 expressing how likely it is that what you've observed could be due to randomness. Interesting inputs would be Seahawks injuries vs. league injuries over time, particularly filtered by injury category linked to conditioning.

My hypothesis remains that our injury history has been close enough to league norms to attribute to bad luck.

Sgt. Largent":17nxcbke said:
It does suck when it's the Hawks having key injuries but I would argue the increase in variability actually helps the league. NFL gambling is just a lot more fun than in most other sports because of the unpredictability, and fan interest is also sky high. There's been one scratch line in the first 32 games due to the Rodgers injury but that isn't too bad.

We're also only two weeks into the NFL season and already have an entire season's worth of MLB or NBA storylines, in part due to the injury factor.

Definitely more unpredictable, but I'd argue most fans, Vegas, degenerate gamblers and fantasy football teams owners would prefer predictability.

Nothing more frustrating as a fan or fantasy football team owner than dealing with injuries, especially this early in the season.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ukznuf2 said:
truehawksfan":3ukznuf2 said:
On the flip side, the training staff took care of Brandon Marshall and Dion Jordan. They played extensively in the first game and they are not listed on the injury report..

Rams also rested everyone of important the entire camp, and main players never played one down of the pre-season snaps. Now their one of the healthiest rosters in the league.

So this is a very real thing, teams starting to manage player contact in pre-season. Unfortunately for us Pete is old school and just plays his guys and doesn't worry about injuries.

Problem is some people are saying the teams are too soft in pre-season and practices that is why we have these injuries

Now others say we don't have enough contact in pre-season...…..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":26ybgkg1 said:
Sgt. Largent":26ybgkg1 said:
truehawksfan":26ybgkg1 said:

Problem is some people are saying the teams are too soft in pre-season and practices that is why we have these injuries

Now others say we don't have enough contact in pre-season...…..

IMO toughness and durability is not something you can develop in one training camp, it's over a very long period of time.

Dave Wyman's talked about this, he agrees it's a decade + of playing hard football through Pop Warner, high school, college, etc. with constant contact drills, practice with pads and games, that build up that toughness and durability.

Now kids not only don't have that, but they play in leagues with spread offenses where every play is two seconds, ball is out and you're being tackled by a 160 lb defensive back.

Then they get to college and the NFL and are expected to hit and run over 300 lb dudes for 50-60 snaps a game over 16 weeks with only one bye?

Not realistic at all.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I agree it's frustrating and would love to see a larger roster size. It just doesn't seem to translate into worse games. We've had arguably the best NFL opening this year with 27 good to great games and just 4 duds, 2 of which were because the Cardinals appear to have not shown up to play football this season.