Should this be Pete's last year?

• Yes

Votes: 93 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 62 40.3%

• Total voters

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Honest question. I'd like to know the pulse of .net regarding Pete. With McVay, Shanahan, and possibly Will's stepping up the game in the division, is this team better off with some new blood at HC?

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Yes, he is holding us back. He doesnt want to go with the times with the league.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Pete is a terrific defensive mind and head coach who needs to let go of the offense. Belichick did it with McDaniels and now he and Brady run the offense. Need to get a new scheme under a creative young play caller who works with Russell in the same way. I don’t want to move on from Pete but it’s inexcusable how horrible the offense is. It feels like the nfl figured it out 3 years ago and the only success is when Russell is off script, calling plays in a rhythm.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's time to at least start considering it. The OL problems have been known since 2015, and firing Bevell hasn't really seemed to help so far, but it is early. Blowing up the LOB in one year has had the predictable destablizing effects.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
We've been on a downward trend since 2015. Pete Carroll got us a SuperBowl, and took us to another one, and I am very thankful for that. Unfortunately times have changed. That was then, this is now, and the Pete Carroll that exists in the now is incapable of taking us back to the promised land.

It has become quite apparent that the NFL has passed him by. He knew, played against and actively recruited many of the guys he drafted prior to 2012. When that group of players dried up, Pete lost his edge. Players saw an inconsistency between what he was preaching, and his actions. The locker room became divided, and many of the grizzled vets became jaded. Carroll continued to waste first round picks, and other high draft picks on players that either didn't fit the team, or were complete headcases. We're seeing a cacophony of errors, and gaffes by Pete and it doesn't seem to be stopping either. Individually they are small, but now they've added up and become insurmountable for the team to overcome.

In game coaching is another issue we're having with Pete. On offense specifically play calls are happening at really weird times, and we're not playing good situational football. He's giving guys playing time who don't deserve it, and his entire philosophy of "compete" is coming unraveled.

It's time we moved on from Pete. I'm thankful for what he's done, but he is finished, he has peaked. It is all downhill from here.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Pete will be allowed to "retire" at the end of the season but he is really getting fired. Pete will go back to college football and dominate again because his message will never get flat due to the 4-year player cycle.

Fade

Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately.

I became really worried during the off-season when they fired Bevell (good move) , but Pete stated they weren't changing the offense. Schotty actually had to learn Pete's Offense, not the other way around. (*cough* Yes man. *cough*) Pete stated during training camp that it is 75% still his offense & 25% Schotty's offense.

I stayed quiet during the off-season & pre-season on this matter, because I had to see what it looked like in regular season games first.

2 games is enough for me. You can't build a team around a franchise QB as a centerpiece, and have one of the most antiquated, simple, predictible schemes in the NFL. It's not 1979 anymore. Hell, it's not 2010 anymore. The teams that are currently having success in this league, are stealing from college, because the college game scheme wise (in certain areas that can tranlate to the NFL) is 10 yrs ahead of the NFL.

Teams around the league are looking at these things to get an advantage. Pete's response. Nope, we'll just keep doin' what we're doin', EVERY YEAR for a HALF DECADE. As the team erodes around the QB.

Defensively, Pete is a genius, but I have stated this several times over the years, he needs to let go of his ego and get a really talented mind to run the offense. So he can focus on the defense even more, and make that side even better. But he won't do it, Pete wants it his way, the hard headed SoB. So it is his fault in the end, he is the captain of the ship, and it is looking like the Titanic.

The Pete Carroll era ended 4 years ago. It's been 9 years total. He had a good run, but it's time. I don't see the turnaround coming... ever. Just the same problems reoccurring every year until change is made.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
With the caveat that it's only been two games, at the end of the season it may need to be considered.

The optimist would say this is a rebuilding year and if Pete could build a team up from scratch once before, he can do it again and deserves another few years to do so.

The pessimist would say this seems more like a slow decline than much of a true rebuild. If the young players this year form a future core we could look back at this season as a valuable & necessary rebuilding year. On the other hand, if most of this team is out of the league in a few seasons, it will be looked back on as simply a bad team.

I'm not sure if it's the lack of high-end prospects or success so far, but it just doesn't feel to me like much of a rebuild. And at some point we may need to consider if we're rebuilding or just spinning our wheels.

Or we could go 14-0 the rest of the season and it's a moot point ...

King Dog

Reaction score
I don't like Schneider giving away our draft picks. If we're gonna be a crappy team, the silver lining should be draft picks.

Fade

Reaction score
King Dog":2w4znsp2 said:
I don't like Schneider giving away our draft picks. If we're gonna be a crappy team, the silver lining should be draft picks.
Was that Schneider or Pete? Pete has final say on all trades, draft picks, and Free Agency.

Jville

Reaction score
Pete sometimes becomes impatient. He loves to see explosive plays out of the explosive players he prefers on the field. That toxic ration is important to him. Early on he will often push to hard and to soon for results. We have seen this before from him. He'll adjust. It's only September.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Yep. Seattle needs to get with the times and hire a hotshot, up and coming young creative offensive mind. Perefably from the Andy Reid coaching tree.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I really, really, REALLY want a reporter to ask Pete why he chooses to hold on to his "Go BIG or Go HOME" offensive philosophy, even though it is painfully obvious that we don't have the personnel on the line and quite frankly, in the receiving corps.

He's damn near becoming a Sadomasochist when it comes to this offense. Almost as if he enjoys "EXPLOSIVE PLAYS"--and to a larger degree--defence SOOOOOO much, that he gets anxious and uncomfortable when the D aren't on the field.
&HONESTLY, at his age, this might just be a strange fetish he's suppressing. Lord KNOWS we've heard about worse shit that folk 'get into' the older they get. It's like he is afraid of the offense taking any significant 'time' away from his defense by being productive and converting 3rd down plays.

Whatever the f-word it is, Paul needs to find a way to get the guy because we now have MORE than enough evidence that Pete has some form of OCD that's holding this team back. And it's driving me up the damn wall! :34853_doh:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Fade":3f54uj0n said:
King Dog":3f54uj0n said:
Was that Schneider or Pete? Pete has final say on all trades, draft picks, and Free Agency.

Fade you've been killing it lately. Anyway I agree, I think Pete has probably been too involved in the team building process. I would be ok with Pete going and seeing what Schneider can do on his own, there was a reason he was the most sought after GM in the league.

Jville

Reaction score
austinslater25":dg7saw91 said:
Fade":dg7saw91 said:
King Dog":dg7saw91 said:

Fade you've been killing it lately. Anyway I agree, I think Pete has probably been too involved in the team building process. I would be ok with Pete going and seeing what Schneider can do on his own, there was a reason he was the most sought after GM in the league.

They say that In fantasy football one can be their own draft king.

Ozzy

Reaction score
That's sort of what I consider myself to be honest.