Michael Dickson's Dropkick Kickoff

NINEster

Reaction score
Was legit....as a football fan and hardcore traditionalist, loved seeing that.

Would really like to see a drop kick field goal, or fair catch kick.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
NINEster":fp0lj6rl said:

I was about five years or so too young to do dropkicks in Australian rules football games (well, I didn't even make the school team in my age group very often) but I was reasonable at doing them in fun. You get excellent "muzzle velocity" (must be to do with the half-volley physics of the kick, maybe?) and it is very effective against the wind, if kicked lowish in trajectory.

It used to be a deadly passing tool, again, because of the speed of release, I guess.

I'd have more chance of kicking a field goal (in American football) from a dropkick than a place kick, which I've never attempted; it was also once used in Australian rules, but is even more archaic than the dropkick.

JGreen79

Reaction score
NINEster":2o7h00wj said:

Dickson replied to Pat McAfee on twitter about a fake punt FG.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mdcksn/status/1041904608896053248[/tweet]

Please make it happen.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
But "alternatives" must take their place, not be a centrepiece. The unusual will only "work" if used wisely and sparingly, and may well backfire horribly.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Aussie Seahawk":nra5fn9w said:
But "alternatives" must take their place, not be a centrepiece. The unusual will only "work" if used wisely and sparingly, and may well backfire horribly.

I agree. I'm not saying it should become the norm, but i would love to see it happen.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Aussie Seahawk":klbfsr91 said:
NINEster":klbfsr91 said:

I was about five years or so too young to do dropkicks in Australian rules football games (well, I didn't even make the school team in my age group very often) but I was reasonable at doing them in fun. You get excellent "muzzle velocity" (must be to do with the half-volley physics of the kick, maybe?) and it is very effective against the wind, if kicked lowish in trajectory.

It used to be a deadly passing tool, again, because of the speed of release, I guess.

I'd have more chance of kicking a field goal (in American football) from a dropkick than a place kick, which I've never attempted; it was also once used in Australian rules, but is even more archaic than the dropkick.

Great feedback, thanks!

So if it's very windy, maybe we'll see a drop kick field goal from Dickson. Interesting.

However, lowish in trajectory means good chance of getting blocked unless you back up a good distance to kick it.

Fair catch kick has no danger of a blocked kick.

Did you feel you could drop kick it as far as a place kick? (or find out from others if they could?)

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
JGreen79":2zjo7ml7 said:
NINEster":2zjo7ml7 said:

Dickson replied to Pat McAfee on twitter about a fake punt FG.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mdcksn/status/1041904608896053248[/tweet]

Please make it happen.

That would be epic.

If the Hawks beat the Niners at the last second on such a play, I might have to like it. :shock: :shock:

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1041880751518769153[/tweet]

Wizofwest

Reaction score
He is going to change the game from a kicking perspective. I’m interested to understand what is possible as I’m quite sure he can do anything kicking a football.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
NINEster":kot2m5zi said:
Great feedback, thanks!

So if it's very windy, maybe we'll see a drop kick field goal from Dickson. Interesting.

However, lowish in trajectory means good chance of getting blocked unless you back up a good distance to kick it.

Fair catch kick has no danger of a blocked kick.

Did you feel you could drop kick it as far as a place kick? (or find out from others if they could?)

Low trajectory of course a problem in American football, which after all we're covering here, so I'll forget Aussie rules, sorry. I completely forgot simple trig, in essence.

And, although it would surely be unpleasant, I could not place kick a ball up my own...

Latest posts