The most frustrating thing about last night

Reaction score
I'm a Seahawk fan and yet unlike the vast majority on this site, I'm not from Seattle or even American, I'm British, so to watch these games, I have to stay up late. I did so late night and watched every snap, which meant I ended up getting in bed after 4am and had to be up at 7:30am for work today. All the way through the game, it wasn't the terrible performances that were bothering me, it was when I wake up and watch the post-game press conferences, it'll be laced with absolute dishonesty.

I can accept bad performances. I didn't expect a great season this year and I'm fine with them rebuilding and the team playing poorly. I love the makeup of this squad, I still believe in Wilson (althought I'm questioning Wilson under Shotty) and I think there's enough talent there that with a few good draft picks, there'll be a very strong team in two or three years time. To get to that position, I accept the transitional period we're in now.

However, what I can't accept and what really frustrates me is the dishonesty from Wilson, Carroll and others. You have Wilson praising the work ethic of the team, which is fine, but then saying "we're close" and "we have to be better"...I'm sick of vague answers like that which do nothing to explain anything to the fans. Tell us where you went wrong, tell us why you're struggling to get out of the pocket, tell us why Ifedi is still struggling so much. I have no patience for the buzz words and positivity now. You can't have such a woeful, inept performance offensively and then that be swept under the carpet with vague things like "we aren't far off" and "the margin of error is small". The margin of error is under 90 yards in the 3rd quarter?

I love the Seahawks and I'm in with this team but when you perform so badly, I want honesty and truthfulness. I don't want lies, dishonesty and fluff to excuse it, I want accountability. Maybe the lack of it that we see is spread throughout the camp behind closed doors, which would go some way to explaining why many flaws haven't changed despite huge overhauls in personnel and coaching.

Reaction score
I hear ya Brother! But Pete has always been like that! That is why I like Holmgren so much cause he would scream at guys when they under performed!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, but it's one thing to make statements to the media and a whole other in addressing the team, players, staff privately.

Not saying Wilson or PC were having a go at the group as a whole in the locker room. However, fans are not and do not need to be privy to that. And I think I'd personally feel worse about a loss if WIlson was up there in front of reporters saying how much the team sucked.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Hey this is the first time on this board since last year good to see no owners. The one thing that needs to be done is the Press needs to tell Pete and Wilson the Offense sucks and when they come back with we have something to build on They come back and say no you really don't.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Si,

I get your point.

But one of the roots of discontent that led to the revolt by the defensive players propping this team up was supposedly that this attitude and perspective was being sold behind the closed doors too.

The issue was that Wilson was not being held accountable (though the terrible OCs are not helping him, the terrible play calling specifically) and even the OCs were not being called to the carpet.

So while it is true that this kind of positivity can be used as a front for the media, (though I would argue it is wearing on our fan base and having the opposite effect now), there are a number of signs to indicate there it might be the company line behind the coaching doors too.

That would be a problem.

canucklehead

Reaction score
BoltonWanderer":1j57cv5s said:
I'm a Seahawk fan and yet unlike the vast majority on this site, I'm not from Seattle or even American, I'm British, so to watch these games, I have to stay up late. I did so late night and watched every snap, which meant I ended up getting in bed after 4am and had to be up at 7:30am for work today. All the way through the game, it wasn't the terrible performances that were bothering me, it was when I wake up and watch the post-game press conferences, it'll be laced with absolute dishonesty.

I can accept bad performances. I didn't expect a great season this year and I'm fine with them rebuilding and the team playing poorly. I love the makeup of this squad, I still believe in Wilson (althought I'm questioning Wilson under Shotty) and I think there's enough talent there that with a few good draft picks, there'll be a very strong team in two or three years time. To get to that position, I accept the transitional period we're in now.

However, what I can't accept and what really frustrates me is the dishonesty from Wilson, Carroll and others. You have Wilson praising the work ethic of the team, which is fine, but then saying "we're close" and "we have to be better"...I'm sick of vague answers like that which do nothing to explain anything to the fans. Tell us where you went wrong, tell us why you're struggling to get out of the pocket, tell us why Ifedi is still struggling so much. I have no patience for the buzz words and positivity now. You can't have such a woeful, inept performance offensively and then that be swept under the carpet with vague things like "we aren't far off" and "the margin of error is small". The margin of error is under 90 yards in the 3rd quarter?

I love the Seahawks and I'm in with this team but when you perform so badly, I want honesty and truthfulness. I don't want lies, dishonesty and fluff to excuse it, I want accountability. Maybe the lack of it that we see is spread throughout the camp behind closed doors, which would go some way to explaining why many flaws haven't changed despite huge overhauls in personnel and coaching.

I agree 100%. The sunny ways spin after a garbage performance is dishonest as you say. Rodgers got it done on one leg the week before by getting the ball out fast. Hawks had no answers of any value during or after the game.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I stopped listening to Wilson's and Carrolls press conferences a few years ago. You can see through the lies. They just stand up there and give us lip service. If they lose next week against Dallas, I want the Seattle media to go after those guys. Whatever it takes to light a spark.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
.net in a nutshell:
Negative folks: Stop being so positive!
Positive folks: Stop being so Negative!

Oh well, fun site and great place to vent. It always helps after a loss :irishdrinkers:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BoltonWanderer":id3irrjb said:

Then you better stop following sports, because there's no such thing as transparency or honesty with the media or fans in sports, at least not to the degree your asking for.

btw, that's how you should want it. Look what happened last year when guys like Sherman and Bennett were honest and transparent with their unhappiness with how the team was being coached. It created negativity that permeated all the way through the locker room and spilled out onto the field.

Any team you're a fan of, you want that group of players to know their coaches and teammates have their back by not calling each other out, or publicly criticizing coaches and players.

mikeak

Reaction score
The "European way" is way more direct than the US way of communicating. It does lead to more of the glossy terms in press conferences because you can't point to individuals making mistakes without being told that you are throwing them under the bus.

So in part your answer lies in a cultural difference

The other part is PC's nature

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It's true. Last night's NFL.com report stated that "Wilson kept them in the game for 3 quarters."

Does one do that by scoring 3 points, camping in tje pocket, and generally just playing bad? How is that not the dumbest lie in football?

This morning I heard the exact same thing on the radio. This team is full of BS lies regarding Wilson and it's propagated by Pete, who has so little integrity anymore that he's a worthless listen.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Come on man, look what they are giving him to work with. They refuse to run the ball. The O Line was pathetic, yet they want him to camp in the pocket. All with NO receivers are getting open and/or even coming back to help.
He looks uncomfortable, period. Yet the team isn't even attempting to help him out. Holding on the ball too long, yes, but if someone would actually get open and/or block for him, he could play with confidence.

mikeak

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":12wuou4v said:
Come on man, look what they are giving him to work with. They refuse to run the ball. The O Line was pathetic, yet they want him to camp in the pocket. All with NO receivers are getting open and/or even coming back to help.
He looks uncomfortable, period. Yet the team isn't even attempting to help him out.

Fair enough

How did RW keep them in the game when they got 3 points on the final drive of the half?

Not saying you are wrong - but they were not moving the ball

Last three drives of week 1 and they got something like 6 yards

First three drives of week 2 and they had NEGATIVE YARDS

So no matter the reason RW was not keeping them in the game. Maybe he was failing due to everything else but regardless he was not providing positive momentum like the narrative referenced.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1u6ddlne said:
He looks uncomfortable, period. Yet the team isn't even attempting to help him out.
That's actually the exact mindset that desteoyed this team.

You don't "help him out" and you don't "get him going" or anything of the sort.

The Seahawks have ceased playing real football for the sake of forcing the issue with Wilson. Go with a balanced approach like we used to and don't do any damn thing specifically for Wilson. The team fell apart both in the locker room AND on the field because they became the Seattle Wilsons and ceased to be the Seattle Seahawks.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Literally answer the question: How did Wilson keep them in the game by scoring 3 points?

Who actually kept them in the game and was on the field all night?

This question is paramount in terms of framework. It doesn't necessarily start off with blame, but because the statements/questions lack integrity or any semblance of reality, it creates animosity and then that's when things fall apart.

Integrity is lacking in a very severe way. There is a direct cause and effect that starts with Pete and resonates out to players, the media, and down to everything else.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
For me it was abandoning the run. When you have to go against a great pass rushing team you need to run the ball....read option, speed option, draws etc. We started off well with the run and abandoned it. It makes no sense to me. Then sitting Carson baffled me.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Two parts to that.

They're making decisions based on politics and pride and not making football decisions for winning games. Applies to both Carson and Wilson.

The other part of that is that they are trying to kick start Wilson as they've done since Lynch left, but you have to know who you are. He's not an early game QB UNLESS he can play spots here and there as secondary to the run game. This aspect I'm not sure is politics or what, but it's wrong.

When your job is to win games above all else and decisions are made that derail that for purposes other than winning...i take serious issue with that. Integrity is now in question more than ever.

adeltaY

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1z9puw10 said:
Literally answer the question: How did Wilson keep them in the game by scoring 3 points?

This question is paramount in terms of framework. It doesn't necessarily start off with blame, but because the statements/questions lack integrity or any semblance of reality, it creates animosity and then that's when things fall apart.

Integrity is lacking in a very severe way. There is a direct cause and effect that starts with Pete and resonates out to players, the media, and down to everything else.

The undermanned, scrappy defense. Quill G with two picks.

But also why are they "getting Wilson going" by calling deep shots when pass pro is suspect against Mack and Hicks? Seems like they don't know what they're doing.

mrt144

Reaction score
adeltaY":l326ko3n said:
vin.couve12":l326ko3n said:

The undermanned, scrappy defense. Quill G with two picks.

But also why are they "getting Wilson going" by calling deep shots when pass pro is suspect against Mack and Hicks? Seems like they don't know what they're doing.

Can we take a small trip back to the 2015 regular season game against Carolina where this exact scheme was thrown at a Carolina defense just mauling our O Line and it led to complete discombobulation from RW on down?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The most frustrating thing is that nothing is changing.

We are making the same mistakes off the field, on the field, even with the complete changes in coaching staffs and the supposed changes in philosophy.

I have already come to terms with the fact that we now will have this year's offense with last year's defense. That means that scoring that final TD in the waning minutes will no longer win us the game, just narrow the spread.

I had my moments of frustration and disappointment last year. Now I am just resigned to having to endure the garbage football that is to come just for the opportunity to see a few good moments by some good players in the middle of that mess.

Reminds me of when the Seahawks were trash and I would just watch to cheer Rufus Porter get sacks or Steve Largent or Blades catch amazing passes.

Even so, those offenses were not as bad as this one is looking to be. You have to go back to when we were a 2 win team for that, and people forget we had an amazing defense that year. (At least we got to watch Michael Sinclair, Cortez Kennedy and Rufus Porter wrecking the opposing offense).

So the only thing I see that has changed is that our defense is much worse. Not sure how to get that excited about the rest of these games considering that reality.