pete told Shotty to take more shots and less run plays...

2_0_6

Reaction score
This right here is going to be the elephant in the room all season if Pete continues to override the game plan. He needs to stick to the defensive side of the ball.

Carson was averaging 4+ YPC, the passing game was total crap, yet you choose to call 14 or so passing plays in a row while down by one score.

Seymour

Reaction score
2_0_6":9t6yodmh said:
This right here is going to be the elephant in the room all season if Pete continues to override the game plan. He needs to stick to the defensive side of the ball.

Carson was averaging 4+ YPC, the passing game was total crap, yet you choose to call 14 or so passing plays in a row while down by one score.

Wont matter. He picked an OC that he could mold and mock into what he wants to do. We are screwed with Pete ball on offense. Pete will never succeed without a top 3 defense because his offense is JUST THAT BAD.

Through 2 games...
Carson 5.8 YPC
Penny 2.2 YPC

Pete's O coordinator main requirements are.....

Puppet gadget

pmedic920

Reaction score
2_0_6":1uaq3kgp said:

Link?

Please link to story or video where Pete is quoted from.

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
pmedic920":36anf6nv said:
2_0_6":36anf6nv said:

Link?

It was on the post game broadcast last night, don't have an audio link.

V6ZCBY3

Seymour

Reaction score
pmedic920":1sgefyy0 said:
2_0_6":1sgefyy0 said:

Link?

I've been hearing this on 950 also and will confirm. I'll find something...

Seymour

Reaction score
pmedic920":3r3od4sw said:
2_0_6":3r3od4sw said:

Link?

at 2 minutes 30 seconds in the presser you'll hear it.

https://youtu.be/gbFcenGgH6U

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":15wd8i0x said:
2_0_6":15wd8i0x said:

Wont matter. He picked an OC that he could mold and mock into what he wants to do. We are screwed with Pete ball on offense. Pete will never succeed without a top 3 defense because his offense is JUST THAT BAD.

Through 2 games...
Carson 5.8 YPC
Penny 2.2 YPC

Puppet gadget

And without something newish and novel done nearly as well as you can expect (read option) there is literally nothing I can envision that will make Pete's stated vision work, nor is there anything going on that would allow bizarro Pete's vision to work (This hamfisted avoidance of a bang bang bang passing game that doesn't allow defensive subs which can then be exploited by the running game)

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
pmedic920":102ablur said:
2_0_6":102ablur said:

Link?

Listen to Pete's post-game presser. He absolutely said it.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seymour":2ob2xxs5 said:
2_0_6":2ob2xxs5 said:

Through 2 games...
Carson 5.8 YPC
Penny 2.2 YPC

See the outrage after the first two games will start building momentum. At some point I (personally) believe that PC will be told to but out even if it is by the OC.

The OC knows his job is on the line. He hasn't won a super bowl - he will tell PC that he needs to call the game

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I love Pete, but it has hit a point with him. He has to adapt or I want him out as HC.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
fundamentally, why take out potential quick positive plays for long developing plays when pass rush was getting to Russ consistently while holding the ball?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2mghnjoc said:
fundamentally, why take out potential quick positive plays for long developing plays when pass rush was getting to Russ consistently while holding the ball?

I have no idea. Supposedly its to limit turnovers because those put the defense in a bad position, which makes no sense to me because

1. We can't pass protect so we are taking sacks on those deep plays
2. If you throw it deep when no one is open to avoid the sack - you risk throwing a pick
3. Strip sacks are a thing
4. Losing yards on sacks harms the defense due to worse starting field position
5. A dink and dunk approach down the field mixing in some runs would actually help the D by giving them rest
6. Who is our deep threat besides Lockett? All the deep safety has to do is shade to his side and that takes away the deep ball

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":i0ix2vtn said:

He likes the big play because of its psychological value on the opposing defense. Breaks them down, discourages them, etc.

Of course, it has to work first.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I don't know if he told Shotty to pass more or if he's trying to protect his OC because the game plan looked exactly like it did against Denver. Did Pete ask Shotty to do this too?

One thing is for sure. Pete likes to run the ball. He did this at USC. He did this with BeastMode. He drafted Penny in the first round. He praised Carson from day one.

At halftime he told the reporter we need to run more and we need to get the ball out faster.

All I know is this. Russell looks unconfortable running this offiense. I first thought he held onto the ball too long because he doesn't trust his WRs. In addition, he's hurried, because there's only 5-9 seconds on the clock when he gets to the line. No time to make adjustments.

But, the 4th qtr changed everything. The no huddle gave RW time to make changes at the line. He fired the ball with confidence, no hesitation taking the, "He doens't trust his receivers out of the equation". And we ran the ball more.

I know this included the terrible interception and funble, but for the first RW looked comfortable. And a lot better.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2hnr32e7 said:
Coug_Hawk08":2hnr32e7 said:

He likes the big play because of its psychological value on the opposing defense. Breaks them down, discourages them, etc.

Of course, it has to work first.

This is like a joke in an anime where some person has 'The Ultimate Move' that works every time, 20% of the time

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3nns15hh said:
I love Pete, but it has hit a point with him. He has to adapt or I want him out as HC.

Or at the least relinquish full game day input - DC runs the defense and OC runs the offense.

rcaido

Reaction score
Pete style of play has given us the 2nd best win percentage since Wilson arrived. So it is working, as frustrating to watch at times. Very slow start but strong finish.

If Wilson doesn't throw the pick 6 and we score in the drive would break Turbrusky/bears spirit. We didn't finish. We still had time to come back but then the fumble happen. This rarely happens in the 4th for us.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, it WAS working. But the talent level isn't near what it was. He's not adjusting, and it's getting very tiresome.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete's style of offense worked when he had Marshawn Lynch, a near HOF quality RB, to bail out his bad decisions and take most of the focus of the defense.

He also needed a defense full of HOF players to keep his offense in the game.

Once he lost those, his system stopped working.

It doesn't work for a very good reason.

It is stupid.

rcaido

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2griazmu said:
Well, it WAS working. But the talent level isn't near what it was. He's not adjusting, and it's getting very tiresome.

How much of it is injuries? We probably beat the Broncos if he had Baldwin or our Kicker didn't miss. What if we had KJ?

Bears was just bad, but again no Baldwin...No KJ...No Wagner despite our defense was good enough to win that game.

We still have the talent to play Pete style football.