Skip and Shannon

mrt144

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":1271xfg0 said:
https://youtu.be/wUWNNqtBr60

I don’t know how to embed this ... thoughts

I can't stand Skip Bayless, but I could literally watch Shannon Sharpe talk about anything. Could you imagine him talking about his favorite soup? 10 Minutes on Chowder not being a soup!

adeltaY

Reaction score
They give Russ a fair amount of credit. Seem to believe there's too much pressure on him.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
lol Skip Bayless is one of the best. Love watching him. Great entertainment.

endzorn

Reaction score
I can’t believe anyone watches those shows. Skip Bayless’ opinion is worth no more than any single member of this board. He gets paid for people to listen to his garbage, fabricated opinions and somehow people give credence to them.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
1:16...... omg still talking about "the play" in SB49, "They'll never be the same."

How long is this going to go on? How long are people going to talk about it? It's amazing honestly that it still gets brought up this much, astonishing.

I started watching that video to hear them talk about the game last night, and Shannon is going on about the play.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Fade

Reaction score
From a national perspective Pete Carroll might as well have that play tattooed on his forehead at this point. It will follow him, and Bevell (who can't get a job) for the rest of their lives.

It is his legacy.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yep,

Carroll will be remembered for one of the stupidest plays in NFL history, certainly SB history. He will also be remembered more for his failure than the fact he put together one of the greatest teams in NFL history (or more likely, Scot did).

But most of his legacy will be as the guy that made that giant screwup. People might remember him more for that than all he did at USC.

mrt144

Reaction score
To make a point that veers into politics (and I'm sorry mods)

It's like saying 9/11 shouldn't be referenced for our current political climate because it happened almost 20 years ago and yet so much of what has happened since then in terms of policy and framing of policy only ever got legs in the aftermath of 9/11. You can't ignore a huge inflection point for a society, a team, a business, because it happened relatively a long time ago when there decision upon decision upon decision from that inflection point forward are tied to that emotionally arresting event.

And again mods, I am super sorry for using this as a reference. I just couldn't think of something equivalent that would be widely experienced and known to most other people.

OP
OP
hawksincebirth

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Fade":3rjqnuxv said:
From a national perspective Pete Carroll might as well have that play tattooed on his forehead at this point. It will follow him, and Bevell (who can't get a job) for the rest of their lives.

It is his legacy.
They fail to realize that loss will outshine our one win ..... shame

OP
OP
hawksincebirth

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":ces18vf7 said:
1:16...... omg still talking about "the play" in SB49, "They'll never be the same."

How long is this going to go on? How long are people going to talk about it? It's amazing honestly that it still gets brought up this much, astonishing.

I started watching that video to hear them talk about the game last night, and Shannon is going on about the play.

The play that got us here currently, the play that dismantled one of the best teams in football.. are you living in a house made of licorice and lollipops?

OP
OP
hawksincebirth

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
mrt144":3m945fop said:
To make a point that veers into politics (and I'm sorry mods)

It's like saying 9/11 shouldn't be referenced for our current political climate because it happened almost 20 years ago and yet so much of what has happened since then in terms of policy and framing of policy only ever got legs in the aftermath of 9/11. You can't ignore a huge inflection point for a society, a team, a business, because it happened relatively a long time ago when there decision upon decision upon decision from that inflection point forward are tied to that emotionally arresting event.

And again mods, I am super sorry for using this as a reference. I just couldn't think of something equivalent that would be widely experienced and known to most other people.

Very good analogy and awesome point

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":1h6sl9qq said:
twisted_steel2":1h6sl9qq said:

The play that got us here currently, the play that dismantled one of the best teams in football.. are you living in a house made of licorice and lollipops?

Maybe I do live in a house made of licorice and lollipops, is that a thing?

I do know I don't live in the past, every time, every conversation, I talk about the Seahawks I don't need to bring up one play. For the national guys, I think it shows I level of ignorance, that they can't actually dig into something more relevant, or accurate. A conversation about a specific Monday night game, and he digs that up out of left field? Strange.

The Seahawks have a bad game, well you know that one play....
Wilson throws a pick, well you know that one play....
Front office makes a trade, well you know that one play....

I'm not saying that play wasn't important, wasn't devastating, but wow, when is it time to let it go? It doesn't need to get dragged out every time the conversation turns to the Seahawks. On a macro level of the history of the Seahawks, sure its relevant. Talking on such a micro level, about a play, a game, etc. It feels incredibly out of place, and intellectually lazy.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
endzorn":3ahhk38m said:
I can’t believe anyone watches those shows. Skip Bayless’ opinion is worth no more than any single member of this board. He gets paid for people to listen to his garbage, fabricated opinions and somehow people give credence to them.

You don't watch Skip or literally any "analyst" on any of the networks if you're looking for serious football knowledge and insight. You watch it because it's fun and it makes you laugh.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":6reh1faj said:
I'm not saying that play wasn't important, wasn't devastating, but wow, when is it time to let it go?

It'll probably be brought up or in the forefront of this team until all the people involved like Pete and Wilson are gone. Thats how much of a monumental failure it was.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2zqmec1w said:
twisted_steel2":2zqmec1w said:
I'm not saying that play wasn't important, wasn't devastating, but wow, when is it time to let it go?

It'll probably be brought up or in the forefront of this team until all the people involved like Pete and Wilson are gone. Thats how much of a monumental failure it was.

I think it's important to have that whole thought, "I'm not saying that play wasn't important, wasn't devastating, but wow, when is it time to let it go? It doesn't need to get dragged out every time the conversation turns to the Seahawks."

My point was, when is it time to let it go... where it's not brought up in every non-related conversation about something specific to the Seahawks? I hope that makes sense.

Example, Two guys talking, "So I really like the way Chris Carson runs, he runs with authority, really plants his foot and gets north-south fast, explodes into the hole......" Guy he's having the conversation with blurts out, "Yea but that interception in SB 49!!!" Out of left field right? To me that's what Shannon did. :Dunno:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":10ofs7n5 said:
twisted_steel2":10ofs7n5 said:

That's a nice way of saying "I'm still mad and I'm not going to let it go."

At least attach your name to it instead of keeping it in the passive voice to try and lend it credibility.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1gguq1eu said:
pittpnthrs":1gguq1eu said:
twisted_steel2":1gguq1eu said:

That's a nice way of saying "I'm still mad and I'm not going to let it go."

At least attach your name to it instead of keeping it in the passive voice to try and lend it credibility.

It doesnt have anything to do with how I feel or dont feel. Its an honest answer to an honest question. 'The Play' will be brought up as long as there are people still attached to the team that reminds people of it. The question was asked because its been 4 years now and 'The Play' keeps being mentioned whenever the Seahawks are talked about regardless if its by the fans or from sports announcers. Why,,,,,because 'The Play' was the start and reason of the decline and Pete Carroll is still on the sidelines reminding everybody of it everytime he's talked about, shown, or spoken to. I know its hard for some to admit it or accept it, but it is what it is.