Unger For Graham

seahawksny

Reaction score
Is the cause of why we are seeing what we are seeing.

Not Pete's decision in 49
Not the injuries
Not all of these theories that Russell Wilson has declined and the absolutely irrelevant conversation whether or not he is elite. He needs to be elite for the seahawks, not elite compared to other QBs.

When the trade happened, I'm sorry, but if you watched 2 minutes of the PC era then you really weren't paying attention if you gave this trade a thumbs up.

They were built around a powerful RB and a Running QB. That all went down the drain because the identity shifted. What happened? The running game hasnt been same since.

It eerily reminds me when in 2007 or so, Shaun Alexander forgot how to run the ball. It was very simple. They lost Hutch.

Seymour

Reaction score
It started with 49 and "sometimes compete" but this is the cement that sealed the deal I agree.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Good post. Not only Unger, but losing the first round pick as well. The Percy trade was bad, but this was a colossal setback.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawksny":rmwiv84m said:
They were built around a powerful RB and a Running QB. That all went down the drain because the identity shifted. What happened? The running game hasnt been same since.

You're leaving the most important part of the equation out of your theory, the RB.

That's really been the issue, not Unger or Graham.........we've still failed to replace Lynch. It's been a revolving door of often injured underperforming undependable RB's since Marshawn left.

Which I understand, it isn't easy to replace a HOF caliber durable back like Lynch was.

THIS is what I believe Pete saw, and why he wanted to move more towards giving Russell more weapons in trading for Graham..........rather than continue to suck in the red zone and not have a RB he could depend on to carry the rock game in and game out and punch it into the endzone.

Now he's backtracking and trying to recreate the magic with the run game, and it's blowing up in his face.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Percy trade led to the loss of Tate.

It also gutted us of a productive 1st round pick.

Losing Unger lost us Lynch.

It also gutted us from a pick.

If you recall, I had a seething hatred of the Harvin pick since Day 1 (I used to mock him all through the year while he was 'healing') and lost my ish when they traded Unger. But that was the end of the Seahawk potential dynasty and I think a lot of the players knew it too the moment Lynch left.

Rat

Reaction score
Graham in his prime is worth what we gave up, we were just stupid to trade for a player we had no idea how to use. For most teams, that deal would have worked out great.

rcaido

Reaction score
seahawksny":atxj5lgg said:
Is the cause of why we are seeing what we are seeing.

Not Pete's decision in 49
Not the injuries
Not all of these theories that Russell Wilson has declined and the absolutely irrelevant conversation whether or not he is elite. He needs to be elite for the seahawks, not elite compared to other QBs.

When the trade happened, I'm sorry, but if you watched 2 minutes of the PC era then you really weren't paying attention if you gave this trade a thumbs up.

It eerily reminds me when in 2007 or so, Shaun Alexander forgot how to run the ball. It was very simple. They lost Hutch.

It was great trade but they didn't play to Graham strength. Unger was injury prone and i probably would have the done the trade all over again every time. Trade was a steal for the Seahawks.

OP
OP
S

seahawksny

Reaction score
Rat":1yr3be29 said:
Graham in his prime is worth what we gave up, we were just stupid to trade for a player we had no idea how to use. For most teams, that deal would have worked out great.

Would have worked for most teams if they were a pass first team. Seattle was not

Tical21

Reaction score
Couple things..

I hate to bring up old stuff like this, but I really hated that trade. My distaste for that trade bout got me run out of here at the time. Neither our running game, nor our edge, were ever going to be the same with JImmy Graham as our TE. Lynch wouldn't have been successful. Then the injury happened. He hasn't been half as good of an athlete as he was previously since that injury. If you watch Jimmy run in NO and then try to run post-injury, it looks like a completely different player. And we dont throw to TE's anyways. And I could go on and on and on.

OP
OP
S

seahawksny

Reaction score
Tical21":2tra1l8r said:
Couple things..

I hate to bring up old stuff like this, but I really hated that trade. My distaste for that trade bout got me run out of here at the time. Neither our running game, nor our edge, were ever going to be the same with JImmy Graham as our TE. Lynch wouldn't have been successful. Then the injury happened. He hasn't been half as good of an athlete as he was previously since that injury. If you watch Jimmy run in NO and then try to run post-injury, it looks like a completely different player. And we dont throw to TE's anyways. And I could go on and on and on.

To this day, it boggles my mind. Why mess with what was working

rcaido

Reaction score
seahawksny":3800t10h said:
Tical21":3800t10h said:
Couple things..

You can always improve...Look at the Warriros with Durant...Now this year they went and got Cousins...It was the right move to do, they just didn't execute. It would be like getting Durant and make him a post up and pound player...Kind of like Graham, they tried to make him a blocking TE. They should have just used him as a WR and got another blocking TE.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
rcaido":2y29wbbh said:
seahawksny":2y29wbbh said:
Tical21":2y29wbbh said:
Couple things..

You can always improve...Look at the Warriros with Durant...Now this year they went and got Cousins...It was the right move to do, they just didn't execute. It would be like getting Durant and make him a post up and pound player...Kind of like Graham, they tried to make him a blocking TE. They should have just used him as a WR and got another blocking TE.
But did they do that? NO, they used Graham like he was Zach Miller.

Seymour

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3bupy6ne said:
rcaido":3bupy6ne said:
seahawksny":3bupy6ne said:
Tical21":3bupy6ne said:
Couple things..

And clearly admitted they would do just that!

Bevell was asked if they would change the offense for the addition of Graham and his reply was "we will do what we do, he will fit right in here".

Hammer

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":66fqzp9r said:
rcaido":66fqzp9r said:
seahawksny":66fqzp9r said:
Tical21":66fqzp9r said:
Couple things..

At first you don't succeed; try, try, and try again until you realized you wasted money and a pick and let the player walk to perform better on a different team. That's the Seahawks Motto, I don't know where this "Always Compete" thing came from.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawksny":2w81tpom said:
Tical21":2w81tpom said:
Couple things..

We had one of the worst red zone offenses in the league at the time of the trade. Marshawn was on the downhill slide, and we had a bunch of tiny receivers getting smothered in the red zone unable to get open.

So Pete and John tried to fix that problem by trading for arguably the best red zone player in the league.

So no, that part of our offense wasn't working, so we traded a center who missed a bunch of games in return for a fantastic red zone target playmaker.

It was a risky trade for sure, but IMO it's pretty far down the list of why this team started to lose it's championship caliber roster. In the NFL you need to be continually restocking your roster with quality talent, and THAT'S where the wheels came off.

D

DomeHawk

I want to clarify my post where I said it was "The Play."

Right up until that very moment, the Seahawk's players felt that it was THEIR team, after that, they knew it wasn't.

It was more than just the different players or even the physical play, they were demoralized.

justafan

Reaction score
What is that saying?Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond. Ya the play happened but how team responded is sad.It showed lack of character and leadership of those who let it tear the team apart.

The team got picked apart by free agency, injuries, and age.

mrt144

Reaction score
justafan":3aov9mcp said:
What is that saying?Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond. Ya the play happened but how team responded is sad.It showed lack of character and leadership of those who let it tear the team apart.

The team got picked apart by free agency, injuries, and age.

"You can't change the wind but you can adjust your sails"

That said, would you really love serving on a ship where the captain and first officer seem to pretend rocks don't exist?

Damnit, now I just want to make pirate analogies from here on out.