Head Coach "Formulas"

D

DomeHawk

Writing over on the NCAA board got me to thinking. We all know that Pete has a certain formula, e.g., strong defense - run the ball - take a shot downfield, etc. And yes, it has been hard to argue with given two successive SB's and numerous trips to the playoffs, BUT, we really haven't had any real success with that since Beast Mode and any semblance of an offensive line left.

Everyone thought that Chip Kelly was a genius too with his up-tempo spread offenses and that worked great with Marcus Mariota running it but not so well afterward. Currently he is 0 and 3 at UCLA. Same could be said with Rick Neuheisel and his option attack at UW with Marques Tuiasosopo running it to perfection. When Isaiah Stanback took it over though, it was a dismal failure.

I'm sure this has been discussed ad infinitum and please ignore this if you think so but I think many people here feel that Pete is so stuck in his guiding philosophy that he is unable to adapt to change. Much of this can be seen in his insistence to bring in an offensive coordinator who is well-known around the league as a "play-it-close-to-the-vest" strategist.

Is this a big part of the problem or are we just in a transitional phase that requires patience?

mrt144

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1b0isyt5 said:
Writing over on the NCAA board got me to thinking. We all know that Pete has a certain formula, e.g., strong defense - run the ball - take a shot downfield, etc. And yes, it has been hard to argue with given two successive SB's and numerous trios to the playoffs, BUT, we really haven't had any real success with that since Beast Mode and any semblance of an offensive line left.

Everyone thought that Chip Kelly was a genius too with his up-tempo spread offenses and that worked great with Marcus Mariota running it but not so well afterward. Currently he is 0 and 3 at UCLA. Same could be said with Rick Neuheisel and his option attack at UW with Marques Tuiasosopo running it to perfection. When Isaiah Stanback took it over though, it was a dismal failure.

I'm sure this has been discussed ad infinitum and please ignore this if you think so but I think many people here feel that Pete is so stuck in his guiding philosophy that he is unable to adapt to change. Much of this can be seen in his insistence to bring in an offensive coordinator who is well-known around the league as a "play-it-close-to-the-vest" strategist.

Is this a big part of the problem or are we just in a transitional phase that requires patience?

It's a tactical approach to the game. If you are bound to your tactics philosophically either you're full of hubris in thinking you figured out the best way and all other ways are wrong or you literally can't understand alternative approaches. FWIW I can not understand ever thinking you've figured football out entirely enough to have a tactical schema you can't move away from. Especially when you personally undermine it midgame by telling your OC to try and get a quick score and abandon your self aggrandizing tenets.

It's not easy to throw away parts of what you think makes a team go, but if you're trying to make a chicken salad out of chicken crap, maybe its time to think of more creative uses for chicken crap than chicken salad. Like fertilizer.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
It may be a working formula, but if you no longer have the pieces to make it work. Then it's no longer the right formula to use. You need to adjust to your resources and your opponents. Heaven forbid your identity be the ability to make adjustments.

Seymour

Reaction score
Pete has a good formula, he just has no idea how to get the offense to do it's part.

He wants to take his shots down the field....so fine, but NOT THAT WAY PETE!!

You establish the run and the RO and short passes, that gets Russ in rhythm and moves the chains, then that opens up the shots downfield because he now has time and run respect. Without run respect the play action is useless and just gives the D more time to kill Russ.

Not just abandon the run and start taking shots against Mack and Miller and letting them dictate and pin their ears back and destroy your friggen franchise QB. :pukeface:

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":25ywfha3 said:
Pete has a good formula, he just has no idea how to get the offense to do it's part.

You establish the run and the RO and short passes, that gets Russ in rhythm and moves the chains, then that opens up the shots downfield because he now has time and run respect. Without run respect the play action is useless and just gives the D more time to kill Russ.

Not just abandon the run and start taking shots against Mack and Miller and letting them dictate and pin their ears back and destroy your friggen franchise QB. :pukeface:

Play action isnt useless without a run game if it at the very least has backfield motion and a clear sense of purpose with the routes and QB movement. See Houston last season.

But they also had trash CBs and that can go a long way.

Seymour

Reaction score
mrt144":1gh2pmmz said:
Seymour":1gh2pmmz said:

Play action isnt useless without a run game if it at the very least has backfield motion and a clear sense of purpose with the routes and QB movement. See Houston last season.

Cliff Avril would disagree with you. He literally just said this last week and I 100% agree. Maybe not entirely useless (slight exaggeration) but far less effective for certain.

I'm talking play action passing to take deep shots downfield, not man in motion.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":37rxfmil said:
mrt144":37rxfmil said:
Seymour":37rxfmil said:

Cliff Avril would disagree with you. He literally just said this last week and I 100% agree. Maybe not entirely useless (slight exaggeration) but far less effective for certain.

I'm talking play action passing, not man in motion.

And im recalling the houston game which had PA passes working in spite of an anemic rushing game that ultimately worked because the defensive lo0rushing lanes were clogged with bodies in motion 80000l0 and post. But again the Texans hapless DBs were probably the biggest factor. Im absolutely not saying it will work or has as good a chance to work, but it can and does absent a rushing attack.

Seymour

Reaction score
The exception rather than the rule in that case I believe.