Pick 6 play

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Seems like we ran that same play against Denver and the DB for the Bears knew it.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1042147203689717762[/tweet]

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Schottenheimer checks play sheet:
1. Do the same thing as last week.
2. Reminder, do not run the ball.

mikeak

Reaction score
In addition to this the play went something like that

Penny split out

Runs out when ball is snapped.

RW looks that way

Penny stops, turns around

RW Keeps looking that way

RW yells over to Penny -- hey are you ready.

Penny replies - yep I am ready waiting over here

RW throws the ball...…

How it should have gone

Penny split out, starts the route
RW throws ball
Penny turns around
Ball arrives

Huge cushion on the play and if it was played like a timing route it works regardless of having been used in the past

Chapow

Reaction score
Yep, Russ absolutely stared him down. Made it super obvious where he was going. Pretty shocking how bad that was.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I'm still trying to wrap my head around why your first read on that play would be a RB split out wide against one of their starting outside CBs. Makes zero sense.

mikeak

Reaction score
Chapow":2uqakrqf said:
Yep, Russ absolutely stared him down. Made it super obvious where he was going. Pretty shocking how bad that was.

IMHO what was worse is how long it took Penny was turned around before the ball was thrown

Can’t do that on that play

StoneCold

Reaction score
Chapow":28zlkej5 said:

Russ was pissed about the timeout one play before where he was changing the play and he pulled a Crash Davis. Fastball, you're welcome.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
StoneCold":35qh9xnw said:
Chapow":35qh9xnw said:

Russ was pissed about the timeout one play before where he was changing the play and he pulled a Crash Davis. Fastball, you're welcome.

Before the time out it looked like Russ had everything under control.

Chapow

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":ku2k4s6c said:
Likely another crap call from Bevell 2.0

Eh, I think in general Russ gets criticized far more harshly than he deserves around here, but that one is all on Russ. Even if that was the play call, Russ shouldn't ever be staring down a receiver like that unless he is specifically not going to throw the ball there. He made it really, really easy for that DB to pick 6 that throw.

Chapow

Reaction score
StoneCold":hm8hh1p4 said:
Chapow":hm8hh1p4 said:

Uh, what? It sounds like you're saying you think Russ threw a pick six on purpose because he was mad about a timeout getting called?

Sorry man, no way Russ would do something like that. Just no way.

mrt144

Reaction score
Chapow":29w9m7je said:
StoneCold":29w9m7je said:
Chapow":29w9m7je said:

Uh, what? It sounds like you're saying you think Russ threw a pick six on purpose because he was mad about a timeout getting called?

I think the more generous reading is that he was livid that the flow he and the team was in was interrupted, a flow which has been beyond his grasp and was tasting pretty good, and just tried to ram it in without the care and focus you need on that. It's a bad sign if a player is letting stuff like affect them but when you're in a bad spot mentally, every little thing that gets in your way feels like a goddamn mountain even if its a pebble.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Chapow":17qeqtlh said:
StoneCold":17qeqtlh said:
Chapow":17qeqtlh said:

Just making a joke based on the "he stared penny down" line and that he was pissed when Pete called the timeout.

I think this is going to be a season where a sense of humor about a game will come in handy.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
It seems like having a new OC is resulting in some natural growing pains. I think Russ is needing to think more than he has in the past, which is slowing him down. And, leading to mistakes.

Russ is clearly a franchise QB, and will adjust. But, that was among the worst decisions I've ever seen the guy make...

Chapow

Reaction score
StoneCold":3tqi185z said:
Chapow":3tqi185z said:
StoneCold":3tqi185z said:
Chapow":3tqi185z said:

Just making a joke based on the "he stared penny down" line and that he was pissed when Pete called the timeout.

I think this is going to be a season where a sense of humor about a game will come in handy.

Fair enough, and I agree with your last sentence.

But with many of the comments about Russ in here it's pretty hard to tell when someone is joking. It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone seriously thought Russ threw that pick six on purpose. People are losing their minds and posting absolute crazy nonsense.

Tical21

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2fkdaukn said:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around why your first read on that play would be a RB split out wide against one of their starting outside CBs. Makes zero sense.
Yeah. Obviously Russ saw the corner out there on Penny and must've thought it was soft zone. But still, you should have favorable matchups in the interior with your wide receivers, if their CB is out isolated on your back. Why you think of calling that play without McKissick or Prosise. I guess they ran it with Lynch a bit, but without success if I remember. I dunno. Ugly way to come out of a timeout.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
As soon as it happened, Alex Bannisters name popped in my head.

Don't put a greenhorn in that situation.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3soxj205 said:

That's probably why they ran it.

olyfan63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3qt87jl6 said:
JGfromtheNW":3qt87jl6 said:

That's probably why they ran it.

The Bevell art of surprise--"They'll never expect it!"

Actually, if Penny got the ball, a 230 lb running back vs a 200 lb corner in open space--not a bad matchup for the RB, break one tackle and there are some yards to be had.