Can we beat the Cowboys?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a struggling offense, but we struggle to get pressure and oddly, it seems like we can be run on.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys not only have our ex-DC but if you lined up all our current and recent assistant coaches to find the next possible HC candidate from the pool - Richard would be up there. He knows our strengths and weaknesses well, and Dallas no longer has an easy secondary or a poor defense.

Now Defense is one of their strengths. And they are also one of the better teams at putting pressure on the QB.

To get to .500 this year we almost have to beat the Cowboys.

I can see us beating the Raiders and Lions, sweeping the Birds, and either splitting the Niners and beating the Panthers, or sweeping the Niners (unlikely). But if we lose to the Cowboys, I cannot imagine that the wheels don't completely fall off.

I don't see us beating any of the other teams on the schedule than those listed so that makes the Cowboy game imperative.

Given what we see and know, can we beat them? How, when we don't get pressure or apparently score TDs outside of the 4th quarter?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not only can they, it's gonna' happen. Completely different team at home, and some guys coming back.
Hawks 23-17

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":sevi0ytd said:
The Cowboys have a struggling offense, but we struggle to get pressure and oddly, it seems like we can be run on.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys not only have our ex-DC but if you lined up all our current and recent assistant coaches to find the next possible HC candidate from the pool - Richard would be up there. He knows our strengths and weaknesses well, and Dallas no longer has an easy secondary or a poor defense.

Now Defense is one of their strengths. And they are also one of the better teams at putting pressure on the QB.

To get to .500 this year we almost have to beat the Cowboys.

I can see us beating the Raiders and Lions, sweeping the Birds, and either splitting the Niners and beating the Panthers, or sweeping the Niners (unlikely). But if we lose to the Cowboys, I cannot imagine that the wheels don't completely fall off.

I don't see us beating any of the other teams on the schedule than those listed so that makes the Cowboy game imperative.

Given what we see and know, can we beat them? How, when we don't get pressure or apparently score TDs outside of the 4th quarter?

I think the Cowboys are beatable, but then again the Seahawks have a knack at taking on beatable teams and absolutely struggling against them.

With the way our offense is. So pedestrian. So predictable. I just don't see how we're gonna move the ball effectively. All the Cowboys have to do is score 17 on us and I'm convinced they'll win. Unless Pete allows Russell to unleash and take command (he won't) then I don't see it.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":29l317b2 said:
Meh, Cowboys are overrated and it will show up on Sunday.

I'm pretty sure that is the Cowboys tagline. However until Seattle can get their crap together on Offense then even an overrated team will leave us out to dry.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Can we?? Yes.

Cowboys offense started to come to life. I forgot Tavon Austin was still in the league until he caught a long TD early vs the Giants. Elliott looked pretty decent last week. But, we do get Bobby and KJ back and we shut them down last time we played.

As far as Richard goes? He knows the players, but probably not Schotty's offense. He knew Bevell's version of the offense. Not that they seem too different as of now. :)

Our problem, AGAIN, will be two-fold: Too much pressure on Russ, and the inability to rush the passer ourselves. Frank Clark is good for a few plays a game, but disappears far too often. Other then Clark, we have very few reliable pass rushers. Has Mingo even sniffed making a play yet? We get no push up the gut, either.

As far as our offense goes, it befuddles me that they are not game-planning to mitigate the monster pass rushers we are facing in the first 5 games. Where were the roll outs away from Mack last night? Where are the dump offs to RB leakers (not just in garbage time, when it counts) to keep the rush honest? Where were quick hitters to Reynolds last night? The game plans make ZERO sense, for a lot of reasons.

Of course, the best way to stump a pass rush is running the ball - effectively. Russ looks shell shocked and demoralized right now, and facing DeMarcus Lawrence isn't exactly going to help that. And don't look now, but Chandler Jones and Aaron Donald are lined up in the queue the following two weeks.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Cowboys lead the league in sacks. Its gonna be a long day unless they come up with an answer or Russ does some magic.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1yft4mvh said:
Not only can they, it's gonna' happen. Completely different team at home, and some guys coming back.

Hawks 23-17

We USED to be a "completely" different team at home. 3-5 years ago. We were 4-4 at C Link last season and have a two-game losing streak (Rams and Cardinals). Teams are no longer intimidated about playing in our house.

It would be nice to start to reclaim that. I think we will.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I still have this game penciled in as the Seahawks first win of the season and despite what we have seen these first two games, I haven't changed my feelings on that. The Seahawks - with the help of our collective vocal chords - will rise above and beat an average Cowboys team.

Home cookin' is just what we need now.

JimmyG

Reaction score
I think we will beat the Cowboys. They aren't very good. Dak is exceedingly mediocre.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yeah, nobodies afraid of playing in Seattle anymore. Any homefield advantage we used to have is long gone.

Can we beat the Cowboys? Sure. Will we? Who knows. I think it depends on us running the ball and we've proven that we cant or refuse to do so. I think its a flip of the coin as to who wins. As a matter of fact, I wouldnt count anybody a give me against this team right now.

Fade

Reaction score
I think boos will rain down on Carroll like he has never heard before. The fan base has run out of patience with his "philosophy".

I hope I'm wrong. I always want the Seahawks to win, but let's be real here. The team is a mess.

Ilinoiseyhawk

Reaction score
It's a simple formula but not easy to execute:
1. Mitigate their run game early.
2. Gain an early lead.
3. Force Dak to pass his way back into the game.

I think this game hinges heavily on whether Wagner/KJ can play.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
JimmyG":1ojele2k said:
I think we will beat the Cowboys. They aren't very good. Dak is exceedingly mediocre.

Sounds like the two teams we just lost to. Great everywhere except QB.

Fade

Reaction score
Ilinoiseyhawk":iljygyxn said:

2. Gain an early lead.

We're screwed.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Fade":nf1w8w4g said:
Ilinoiseyhawk":nf1w8w4g said:

2. Gain an early lead.

We're screwed.
Longest running streak in the NFL without scoring on our opening drive, I think we're at what? 34 right now? That's over two years.

The Seahawks and Cowboys are pretty close in offensive production.

Greenhell

Reaction score
More of the same on repeat. 3 and outs on offense which burns out our defense and Zeke has a big day. Our first embarrasing loss at home this season and the heat on Pete gets turned up full blast. Ugh.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you find a NFL game with a certain outcome then you owe it to yourself to bet on it and make a bunch of money. There will always be somebody happy to take your money on the other side of the line. We "could" have won either of the first two games but simply didn't play well enough to deserve it. That's what makes the NFL simultaneously great and miserable.

The Hawks are favored on Sunday by 1 to 1.5 points depending on where you look, so we probably "should" win but it's close to a 50/50 proposition. We look to be returning some key players to a defense that is playing better than it should be. Expectations on offense will be pretty low so I expect a mediocre performance that still encourages people.