More pass plays! (no troll)

Crizilla

Reaction score
Rodgers, Brady, Peyton Manning. These guys are in the next level at the QB position and it's mostly mind games with the defense. Few examples: Spying on corners. Good hard count. Knowing teams weaknesses. Really running the offense and being your own coach (for the most part). There are so many small things that add up. Russ hasn't reached that level yet. You can just tell by watching the game. It may take a full season but he can get there. I think he should run the offense. Russ didn't want that time out that Pete called. He wants to manage his own offense instead of being Pete's system babby. I've changed my mind about the running game. I don't care for it anymore. I'm ok with 70% pass plays. Russ has to go through this to learn and reach the next level. I say keep passing. Find out if Russ can get to the next level. He has to get better at deciding on which routes to throw to after the ball is snapped.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
The run game doesn't suck and RW is doing everything that PC wants from him, same with the OC. 4 seconds in the pocket is plenty of time to do a 3 progression read.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Crizilla":1e44gn1d said:
Rodgers, Brady, Peyton Manning. These guys are in the next level at the QB position and it's mostly mind games with the defense. Few examples: Spying on corners. Good hard count. Knowing teams weaknesses. Really running the offense and being your own coach (for the most part). There are so many small things that add up. Russ hasn't reached that level yet. You can just tell by watching the game. It may take a full season but he can get there. I think he should run the offense. Russ didn't want that time out that Pete called. He wants to manage his own offense instead of being Pete's system babby. I've changed my mind about the running game. I don't care for it anymore. I'm ok with 70% pass plays. Russ has to go through this to learn and reach the next level. I say keep passing. Find out if Russ can get to the next level. He has to get better at deciding on which routes to throw to after the ball is snapped.
Refer to my "awesome offensive Seahawk stats" thread. The Seahawks are currently bottom three in rushing attempts right now. Even when the Packers, Colts, and New England offenses were at their best, they still knew that they had to run the ball. The pass ratio for those teams was more akin to 60-40. A running game teams have to respect slows down the pass rushers, sets up big plays via the play action pass, and puts teams in manageable third down situations. You can't let teams sell out on the pass every down. A good defense strives to make a team one dimensional. By not calling a decent amount of running plays you're doing that for the defense.

It isn't just about passing more either. One major problem we're having is the type of pass plays we're running. They're all or nothing in most cases. No real outlet routes in many cases, and completely one dimensional. Teams only have to defend a few types of passes when they play us, and all in the intermediate, to deep range. In today's game you can't do that. It is to easy to stop, especially when you don't have any play action threat. Furthermore it doesn't look like we're giving our QB much of an option to audible, which is an essential, and very important part of any offense.

Our system is broken right now. We don't do anything that modern offenses do on a game to game basis. Watching other teams offenses, and then watching our team's is disconcerting. We are running a very simplistic style of offense from the 70s. It has no depth, and it strives to do only one thing: throw the deep ball. All other aspects are abandoned.