Reaction score
He'll be alright.

Post edit by staff. (Pmedic)
*religious crap*

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not specifically but I can tell you he has absolutely lost a step in recent years. Some say weight, some same "well that's what happens when you continually get pasted by top Defensive Linemen game-after-game" and it may be those and other things but it's been something I have noticed in the past two seasons specifically. That initial burst and quick juking that made him so elusive and deadly in his first few years is a thing of the past. He's likely playing more banged up any given game than any of us realize. Plus the inevitable Father Time.

I sure hope this team gets it together and puts Russell in position to succeed again. He should have several years left but with this offense? Ugh.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Aros":k8x4lzhm said:
Not specifically but I can tell you he has absolutely lost a step in recent years. Some say weight, some same "well that's what happens when you continually get pasted by top Defensive Linemen game-after-game" and it may be those and other things but it's been something I have noticed in the past two seasons specifically. That initial burst and quick juking that made him so elusive and deadly in his first few years is a thing of the past. He's likely playing more banged up any given game than any of us realize. Plus the inevitable Father Time.

I sure hope this team gets it together and puts Russell in position to succeed again. He should have several years left but with this offense? Ugh.

Not buying it! Just last year he was clocked as the fastest QB in the league at 20.14 MPH. :177692:
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson’s top speed of 20.14 m.p.h. is slightly faster than Cam Newton’s 20.08. But in a twist, Wilson reached that speed playing some defense — chasing down Rams safety John Johnson III after an interception to save a touchdown. After the game, Wilson said the tackle “took me back to my high school days when I used to play corner.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/sports/football/nfl-speed-leonard-fournette.html?_r=0

Anyone wanting to question the data, here are the facts on how they know the fastest players.....
The NFL has gone high-tech. New for the 2015 season, every player has a tracker embedded in his shoulder pads that collects data like velocity, distance traveled and proximity to opposing players. Zebra Technologies is the company behind the tech, and the insights they provide are letting fans see the game in a whole new light.

Also....you say this is a thing of the past? This was last year 11/2017....

[youtube]PFMDJJPZhx8[/youtube]

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
It's not losing a step, gaining weight, taking hits, less testosterone, or anything else. He is standing in the pocket a half second longer trying to be a pocket qb! That's what Schotty is trying to make him and its running his game!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They refuse to run the ball and they are trying to make him be a QB that doesn't suit his strengths. Beyond stupid.

nategreat

Reaction score
The Breh":1tscogkk said:
He'll be alright.

Post edit by staff. (Pmedic)
*religious crap*

Anyways, I hope Russ is alright. I'm sure he'll be fine, but it's only two games in and he's already taking a beating- some of it self-imposed I guess. Hope we can turn this thing around this weekend.

Post edit by staff.
Check your PMs

:{)
Les

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/StacyRost/status/1042862909204787200[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1042862810751893504[/tweet]

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":363e75n1 said:
It's not losing a step, gaining weight, taking hits, less testosterone, or anything else. He is standing in the pocket a half second longer trying to be a pocket qb! That's what Schotty is trying to make him and its running his game!

Winner winner!

Been saying this since week 1 myself. He is getting caught because he loses that 1st half step jump trying to do what they are telling him to do (stay in the pocket and trust you are about to die)!! Then he has smart guys like Pete saying take down field shots when Miller and Mack are in his face in 1.5 seconds. :pukeface:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wonderful...He was the fastest QB on that PLAY. I am talking in general, over the past two seasons, he looks noticeably slower than he used to. I am sticking to what I see on film. Now if you can find metrics PER PLAY over the past two years that contradicts my eyeballs, fine.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sure he's lost a step. He's 30 years old now. I doubt anybody is as fast or faster at 30 than they are in their early 20's.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/StacyRost/status/1042862909204787200[/tweet]

They have been going to reporting every little thing since the Sherman hysteria last year. All the gossip columnists love it. All the more to work with for speculation and fiction.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":184pbcsc said:
EXACTLY!! ^^
I think Pete has probably told "Schotty" that he'd like to try and have him develop Wilson's Pocket Presence....Only Problem with that?, A SHITTY OFFENSIVE LINE, with bottom of the League Pass Protection.
I'd rather see Wilson finish his career with a team that doesn't just "Dabble" at Quarterback Protection, than to see his Career FINISHED because of injury.
Too much Head Scratching at the Coaching level.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Aros":qsbpq9ck said:
Wonderful...He was the fastest QB on that PLAY. I am talking in general, over the past two seasons, he looks noticeably slower than he used to. I am sticking to what I see on film. Now if you can find metrics PER PLAY over the past two years that contradicts my eyeballs, fine.

I'll say it again. Russell has 4.55 speed straight out of college. Unless you see him outrun THE EXACT same player one year, then get tracked down by THE EXACT same player the next year you'll have no clue! There are linebackers, safeties and Dlinemen that are faster than Russ, and there always has been! Von Miller for 1 has ALWAYS been faster than Russ (4.49)!

The chips in their pads say he is the fastest QB in the NFL (which I just showed)....not good enough? then I can't help you.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":sk0ldkmh said:
Aros":sk0ldkmh said:

I'll say it again. Russell has 4.55 speed straight out of college. Unless you see him outrun THE EXACT same player one year, then get tracked down by THE EXACT same player the next year you'll have no clue! There are linebackers, safeties and Dlinemen that are faster than Russ, and there always has been! Von Miller for 1 has ALWAYS been faster than Russ (4.49)!

The chips in their pads say he is the fastest QB in the NFL (which I just showed)....not good enough? then I can't help you.

In Aros' original post he said 'specifically that initial burst and quick juking' when talking about Russ losing a step. The straight line top speed stats you posted don't address or refute that. Also, being clocked as the fastest last year doesn't make him the fastest. He was chasing down a defender to prevent a pick 6, maybe Newton was never in the same position, or if he was maybe he didn't go all out cuz you know he's Cam Newton and he was too busy complaining to a ref to run down the field. I just think it's silly to jump all over someone for saying he's lost a step when it's a pretty reasonable opinion, and the stats you bring don't address the whole picture.

Anyways, I actually do agree with you, I don't think Russell has slowed down much. I think it just appears that way because we never run and RO anymore, and defenses scheme him much better and prevent him from getting out of the pocket like he used to. In the past he'd still beat a faster LB because they'd take bad angles on him, that doesn't really happen much anymore.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
He also said he wouldn't be doing it anymore.

That is why I posted a 10 month old video showing Russ doing exactly that (what he cannot do) to 3 defenders. :2thumbs:

I didn't jump all over anyone.

I disagreed and showed proof of my belief.

Where did I jump on him?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
T-Hawk":2i69q7q3 said:
Seymour":2i69q7q3 said:
Aros":2i69q7q3 said:

In Aros' original post he said 'specifically that initial burst and quick juking' when talking about Russ losing a step. The straight line top speed stats you posted don't address or refute that. Also, being clocked as the fastest last year doesn't make him the fastest. He was chasing down a defender to prevent a pick 6, maybe Newton was never in the same position, or if he was maybe he didn't go all out cuz you know he's Cam Newton and he was too busy complaining to a ref to run down the field. I just think it's silly to jump all over someone for saying he's lost a step when it's a pretty reasonable opinion, and the stats you bring don't address the whole picture.

Anyways, I actually do agree with you, I don't think Russell has slowed down much. I think it just appears that way because we never run and RO anymore, and defenses scheme him much better and prevent him from getting out of the pocket like he used to. In the past he'd still beat a faster LB because they'd take bad angles on him, that doesn't really happen much anymore.

I don't know that he has slowed down as much as much as defenders now know his moves. His scramble back almost always ends with a spin move to his left turning back to the right side of the play. Millers sack of him was this exact move. Could it be that Miller knew that he does this move and put himself in position to make the sack? Speed won't help if the defender knows where you will go before you make the move.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":99w87i08 said:
Sure he's lost a step. He's 30 years old now. I doubt anybody is as fast or faster at 30 than they are in their early 20's.
Someone would beg to differ.

Usain Bolt enhanced his already legendary Olympic status with an unprecedented third consecutive 100m, 200m and 4x100m triple at Rio 2016........., the Jamaican star bid farewell to the Olympic stage by celebrating his 30th birthday on the day of the Closing Ceremony of the Rio Games

Status
Not open for further replies.