Russell Wilson the human pinata

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
[youtube]YqzeCQTCsfM[/youtube]

Brett Kollmann breaks down Wilson's sacks, and coaching issues on the Seattle Seahawks offensive front.

I apologize if this has already been posted(mods can remove if it has), but this video brings a lot of insight on some of our line woes. A lot of it on Wilson, but a ton of it is also on the offensive scheming. The way we're implementing chip blocks, and leaving Ifedi in one vs one situations.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
When you use the youtube tags you only need the video identifier (YqzeCQTCsfM in your case) not the URL:

[utube]YqzeCQTCsfM[/utube] (except spell you correctly like below)

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
JustTheTip":2iy3ioyd said:
When you use the youtube tags you only need the video identifier (YqzeCQTCsfM in your case) not the URL:

[utube]YqzeCQTCsfM[/utube] (except spell you correctly like below)
Thanks!

A-Dog

Reaction score
The one thing missing is how much play clock is left by the time they get to the line of scrimmage. I'm guessing with a reasonable amount of time they could have done a better job of adjusting to the blitz. I wonder if that's part of why hurry-up is so effective: Russ actually has time to make adjustments when he doesn't have to huddle up and wait for a play call.

But in general, it's a perfect storm of new OC, first couple games of the season, and elite players at DE.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
A-Dog":cspqca8x said:
But in general, it's a perfect storm of new OC, first couple games of the season, and elite players at DE.

I agree. I highly doubt Russell will look this inept for an entire season. Something has to give. They may not make the playoffs (again) but I do anticipate continued improvement as the season goes along. Not every team has a Kalil Mack or Von Miller.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Aros":3e5hjyf1 said:
A-Dog":3e5hjyf1 said:

I agree. I highly doubt Russell will look this inept for an entire season. Something has to give. They may not make the playoffs (again) but I do anticipate continued improvement as the season goes along. Not every team has a Kalil Mack or Von Miller.

True, but we still have to face

DLaw
Bosa/Ingram (wanna bet Bosa is healthy come Seahawks game?)
Justin Houston
Donald/Suh twice
Chandler Jones twice
Everson Griffen/Danielle Hunter

Lots of Elite DL in this league unfortunately.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Aros":3oswrfo5 said:
A-Dog":3oswrfo5 said:

There has been a few big issues with this offense. One I didn't notice was how we were scheming in chip blocks. In most cases it seemed to benefit the defensive end, and leave Ifedi in a really poor position to deal with things. Russ definitely has his fair share of the blame, but there is a lot of problems a foot that contributed to those poor games.

Leaving Ifedi alone as much as we are is also a foolish endeavor by our staff.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The fact we continue to put Ifedi out there is frustrating. To say he is poor and therefore its not his fault he is getting beat like a drum seems an odd conclusion. He drags this entire offense down with his incompetence.
You should not have to scheme your entire game around a tackles inability to block. Give him some help sure but to give him a pass because we already know he sucks so we shouldn't expect more is insane.

mrt144

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1atgcv84 said:
The fact we continue to put Ifedi out there is frustrating. To say he is poor and therefore its not his fault he is getting beat like a drum seems an odd conclusion. He drags this entire offense down with his incompetence.
You should not have to scheme your entire game around a tackles inability to block. Give him some help sure but to give him a pass because we already know he sucks so we shouldn't expect more is insane.

Well that's one aspect where I think the presenter doesn't know the Hawks as well as we know them. He said that a lot of these are not too hard to remedy in some fashion but...

that runs contra to what we've seen where the easy things aren't ever seemingly done as a remedy.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I thought the thread title was in reference to the virtual beating he takes around here.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
That was an amazing video, thanks for posting. I think I learned more about offensive and defensive line play than I ever thought I knew in the past.

It also reinforced my original thought, which I kind of forgot, from the offseason when we got rid of Cable and got Solari. It is going to take awhile to rid the players of the bad and instill the good plus develop that all important cohesion, most likely into a good chunk of the regular season.

That being said, I have to agree with the point about Ifedi being so bad we should have to scheme everything around him. Unfortunately, I think we are kind of stuck with him (or worse??) for the season so I can see what Brett was saying.

Go Hawks!!!

JimmyG

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":1tgutw8e said:
That was an amazing video, thanks for posting. I think I learned more about offensive and defensive line play than I ever thought I knew in the past.
Agreed, it was a very insightful video. Definitely went into a lot of the finer nuances of football. I especially loved his breakdown of Von Miller's sack; the level of detail -- like breaking down what Miller did with left hand, and then what he did with his right hand -- was incredible.

A couple days ago someone referenced The Athletic (I think); the Athletic said one of the six sacks was Wilson's fault. Brett Kollmann, however, attributed half of the sacks to Wilson.

Knuck Chox

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":2mq5o7xf said:
Ditto. Will have to check out more of these videos.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3hhnkmz4 said:
Aros":3hhnkmz4 said:
A-Dog":3hhnkmz4 said:

There has been a few big issues with this offense. One I didn't notice was how we were scheming in chip blocks. In most cases it seemed to benefit the defensive end, and leave Ifedi in a really poor position to deal with things. Russ definitely has his fair share of the blame, but there is a lot of problems a foot that contributed to those poor games.

Leaving Ifedi alone as much as we are is also a foolish endeavor by our staff.

Here's the problem, though: in the first play of the season, we DIDN'T leave him alone. The first play of the season was with two tight ends lined up blocking to Ifedi's right, while Seattle ran with two receivers running routes. Ifedi still got beat. So did one of the tight ends. Those two guys were the ones to sack Russell.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Sorry I disagree with some of the nuance of that video. I loved the video and the detail, the author really shows some good knowledge and I just disagree with a lot of his conclusions.

Ifedi is your right tackle, you cannot always leave a chip and at some points you have to let him be responsible for his bad play. He spent almost half the video on this. The hawks chipped a ton outside inside.

The play design and recognition on the corner blitz was backward, that is a communication error/communication on wr's and QB, plus the D recognizing tendencies. The outside wr ran an in route the middle ran the deep route. The D was in position for this, the man over the top ran with the deep route, contrary to the authors stated opinion that he would not take the deep route, this was a man coverage. If the middle ran an out and the outside ran the deep, you can beat the coverage.

We saw this a lot, as people harp on, no short, medium, long dump off options and even the short options seem to take more time than 3, 5 step and fire.

The missed throw we saw underneath coverage from the LB moving with Wilson and then back out with a TE. I think Wilson does need to pull the trigger and take the small window.

In conclusion I think line play, scheme, down and distance, tendencies, and then QB are the reason for the sacks weighted in that order.

I do think the line will get better, Pete screwed up in both the bears and the broncos game because he wanted downfield attacks and moved away from the run game. We had a small run game going in the bears game, he needed to stick with it. This Dallas game in my opinion needs to be a game where all they do is run the ball. 1st and 2nd down run the ball, and if 3rd and 3 or shorter run the ball. The hawks should only sprinkle in some quick hitters and deep throws.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
:vodka:
adeltaY":316z89lh said:
Aros":316z89lh said:
A-Dog":316z89lh said:

True, but we still have to face

DLaw
Bosa/Ingram (wanna bet Bosa is healthy come Seahawks game?)
Justin Houston
Donald/Suh twice
Chandler Jones twice
Everson Griffen/Danielle Hunter

Lots of Elite DL in this league unfortunately.

Add Sheldon Richardson to that list with Griffen and Hunter.... He leads the league in pressures from the interior, I think 18 was the number.

hawk45

Reaction score
This lines up with how I've felt watching the first two games. I'm not seeing the multi player jailbreaks we'd see with cable coaching. Take away Ifedi being destroyed and Wilson holding the ball sacks, and my impression is n NFL caliber line thus far. One that created lanes as well though we opt not to run the damn ball.

Maybe Ifedi won't be useless against non elite rushers or maybe he needs replacing, but me talking about only one gaping vacuum of suck in that unit feels like a quantum leap forward.