Our WR corp. or the lack of.

toffee

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/na ... e-seahawks

Will Dissly (https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/will-dissly/)
Jaron Brown (https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jaron-brown/)
Brandon Marshall (https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/brandon-marshall/)
Tyler Lockett (https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/tyler-lockett/)

Let's focus on:
% on all snaps-
Will - 69.4% (15.4% slot)
Jaron - 72.0% (28.4% slot)
Brandon - 84.1% (11.1% slot)
Tyler - 100.0% (75.3% slot)

Average cushion in yards afforded to WR by CB:
Will - 0.12 (#33)
Jaron - 3.8 (#53)
Brandon - 5.47 (#9)
Tyler - 4.41 (#29)

Separation in yards between receiver and closet defense player at balls arrival:
Will - 1.8 (#9) wow
Jaron - 1.17 (#68)
Brandon - 0.67 (#89)
Tyler - 2.18 (#11)

Targeted/Received/YAC/QB rating when targeted
Will - 10/6 - 60% - 64 yds - 143.8
Jaron - 6/4 - 66.67% - 4 yds - 18.1
Brandon - 12/7 - 58.33% - 4 yds - 75
Tyler - 11/8 - 72.73% - 24 yds - 147.3

My humble speculation of our problems:

1. We lack a legit 2nd receiver to Lockett, neither Marshall and Jaron are getting necessary cushions for Russ to pull that trigger.
2. Our best receivers at the moment's Will the rookie blocking TE. It's good that we have a serviceable TE but sucks that our WR corp. isn't doing enough.
3. Jaron clearly need to step up or step down and allow other WR opportunities.
4. Marshall clearly couldn't create seperation, his 0.67 yards in separation rated #89 in the league. Even Jaron's 1.17 yards was way better - #68

We dearly need a legit 2nd receiver to lockett, QB rating when targeting Jaron and Brandon? 18 and 75 respectively. Nuff to kill drives and they are involved in 72%/84% of all snaps. Just for reference, our Doug in '17: QB rating when targeted 100.2, separation 1.94 #13

A legit 2nd WR will make lockett more productive, and Will even more deadly, Russ's sack problem partially solved.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I noticed Wilson is willing to throw Marshall open and trust him to get the ball. Maybe he needs to do that with Jaron as well? The worst that has happened on those kinds of passes so far has been an incompletion.

The pick he threw when targeting Marshall against the Broncos was a coverage misread.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Without Doug Baldwin....they are very pedestrian. It has to be one of the weakest, if not the weakest, WR corps in the NFL. Luckily for tomorrow’s game the Cowboys receivers aren’t any better. Seahawks should have gotten Allen Robinson in offseason. He’s a true #1. Instead they chose to go for Jaron Brown and Marshall. Neither doing much of anything to this point.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I was worried about this position during the off-season. Pre-season came around and I felt better about it. I am really worried again, especially with DB out, . Let's hope things start to click with the offense tomorrow.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Separation at ball arrival is almost useless without context of the route and if the ball was thrown late.

Lots of false positives here. It's well noted that we have open receivers and the ball isn't coming out. WR isn't an issue, although we do need to a 2nd TE. Vannett shouldn't be subbing in for Dissly at the rate they've been doing aymore than the rate they take Carson off the field. Our biggest problems on offense BY FAR are playcalling, play design, substitution packages clearly showing our poker hand, the substitutions themselves, and the ball not being thrown on time or not at all.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Again, I said this in preseason - Every year we seem to think we have a ridiculously deep WR group and every year we seem to get inadequate production from them.

I like our group. I don't think they are getting much help.

But our offensive style does not match the personnel. (I like to call our offensive style 'West Coast NeoGrossmanesque")

Moore is a slot guy. Marshall is a possession and RZ receiver. Locket is supposedly going to stretch the field, I think we should have kept Stringfellow because he was fast, big and caught the ball well down the sidelines - but we kept the GarbagePail Kid instead (I forget his name but I doubt it matters).

Brown could stretch the field but we use him wrong. None of those guys is great for 30 yd heaves downfield like our HC loves though. So it probably does not matter who the WRs are.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I have an idea-because we have such a star-studded WR cast, let’s call 14 passes in a row with half of those 40 yard go routes. There’s just no way a defense can stop this flawless plan.

I do hope though they target Marshall more. It doesn’t matter if he’s fully covered, the guy has made a living nabbing tight quarter catches. With great hands, strength and veteran savvy, they should be targeting him 7 times a game.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Marshall and Brown are big guys who create separation with their bodies. Marshall has never gotten tons of separation, but what he can do is outbully even the best defenders. I think he has been our best wide receiver this year. He gets the hard yardage and is really our biggest redzone threat.

The problem with guys like Marshall is you have to trust them. If they have half a step on the defender you place the ball in an area where they can come down with it. Marshall is also very good at YAC, or at least he was in his youth. I'm not quite convinced that Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson can make full use of him due to Pete's philosophy.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Brandon Marshall in the first half reminded me of Koren Robinson (K-drop). For someone who is supposed to have good hands, he sure dropped a lot of passes.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
hawkfan68":28jdzhhk said:
Brandon Marshall in the first half reminded me of Koren Robinson (K-drop). For someone who is supposed to have good hands, he sure dropped a lot of passes.
He did the same thing last year as well.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Natethegreat":a16xnb72 said:
hawkfan68":a16xnb72 said:
He did the same thing last year as well.

He sure isn't the Marshall of 5 years ago.

Ozzy

Reaction score
They made a mistake taking Penny over Moore in the draft. Moore looks like he could be a star down the road.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Apparently there wasn't much separation according to Ben Baldwin. I'll link the tweet later. He was there watching.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Under utilizing Jaron Brown. Completely under the radar signing like McDougald last year. Brown is big and has speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jville

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3ogffx0h said:
Again, I said this in preseason - Every year we seem to think we have a ridiculously deep WR group and every year we seem to get inadequate production from them.

I like our group. I don't think they are getting much help.

But our offensive style does not match the personnel. (I like to call our offensive style 'West Coast NeoGrossmanesque")

Moore is a slot guy. Marshall is a possession and RZ receiver. Locket is supposedly going to stretch the field, I think we should have kept Stringfellow because he was fast, big and caught the ball well down the sidelines - but we kept the GarbagePail Kid instead (I forget his name but I doubt it matters).

Brown could stretch the field but we use him wrong. None of those guys is great for 30 yd heaves downfield like our HC loves though. So it probably does not matter who the WRs are.

Boy, I don't get you're infatuation with Stringfellow. He was a potential developmental prospect. He was waived September 1st because there were better prospects for the roster and practice squad. They had others who were faster, more explosive and better at turning. After he was waived from Seattle, the Titans signed him to their practice squad only to watch him give up and leave their practice squad two days later.

The wide receiver corp is in good shape. We have both a veteran receiver and a veteran tight end temporarily sidelined. I like the depth and growth I'm seeing. They're growing together. It's a process.