We won a lot of games like this...

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yup, that's exactly how it felt to me too. Like a Pete Carroll team playing Pete Carroll football. And winning. It was like a flashback to 2012, and IIRC we beat the Cowboys 24-7 that year in a similar feeling game. That was the game where Golden Tate de-cleated Sean Lee.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I just loved the focus on running the ball. 32 carries, 100 yards...YES! More of that please!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So much this......they FINALLY stuck to the run. Had they done this in the first 2 game, guaranteed they would have won at least one of those games.

toffee

Reaction score
Aros":6o2q6k7o said:
I just loved the focus on running the ball. 32 carries, 100 yards...YES! More of that please!

Running the ball is good, 32 carries is great, 3 yards per carry really is not good. Got to be more efficient running the ball.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They stuck to it regardless, and that's how you have to do it. You're gonna' have some 1 yard gains, even some losses. But, eventually it wears a defense down. That 3rd down run to seal it by Carson was epic, and he did it against a tired Defense. And we FINALLY won the time of possession battle.

sutz

Reaction score
Aros":2c5ao8wz said:
Well, we can't give the ball to Carson 32 times every game. That would be over 500 carries! :shock:

But yeah, we should do 25-30 rush attempts/game, with Carson getting at least 20 of them. :mrgreen:

mikeak

Reaction score
sutz":3kbpqtxj said:
Aros":3kbpqtxj said:
Well, we can't give the ball to Carson 32 times every game. That would be over 500 carries! :shock:

But yeah, we should do 25-30 rush attempts/game, with Carson getting at least 20 of them. :mrgreen:

That is my point

Sincerely,

Le'veon Bell

Mad Dog

Reaction score
This game was Pete sitting on his porch swing, yelling "Get off my lawn" at all the rest of the NFL.

Seymour

Reaction score
It worked against Dallas, but will not work against some of the more dynamic offenses in the NFL IMO...not yet at least.

Also, TU on Carson :2thumbs: and TD on Penny for coughing up another one. No...not a bust :roll: , just not ready to be featured back yet IMO.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I get that we don't want to feed the ball to one player 32 times, my point is that we stuck to the running game which is ESSENTIAL for success in this offense.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Anyone else think that Russ was either determined to or told to give the back the ball on the read option? It seemed like a couple of times he easily could have kept the ball and ran but didn't consider it.
On the drive that really put the Hawks in control, that ended in the Carson TD, it seemed like he was consistently getting 4-5 yards at worst.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1ndfm7cf said:
Anyone else think that Russ was either determined to or told to give the back the ball on the read option? It seemed like a couple of times he easily could have kept the ball and ran but didn't consider it.
On the drive that really put the Hawks in control, that ended in the Carson TD, it seemed like he was consistently getting 4-5 yards at worst.

other teams don't even seem to acknowledge the threat of him keeping it any more

semiahmoo

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":93bniavd said:

He's a half-step slower and his running habits (little spin thing) is well known throughout the league. If Carson continues to develop (and the O-line which looked almost respectable) Wilson will likely step out a bit more as the season progresses as they can spread out opposing defenses a lot easier when their game plan has to go beyond just 'contain Wilson' which has been how teams have thumped us in recent years.

OP
OP
LoneHawkFan

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Seymour":1ap110nv said:
It worked against Dallas, but will not work against some of the more dynamic offenses in the NFL IMO...not yet at least.

Also, TU on Carson :2thumbs: and TD on Penny for coughing up another one. No...not a bust :roll: , just not ready to be featured back yet IMO.

The formula that worked yesterday allowed for 3rd-and-manageable situations for us on offense all day. Which we converted at a pretty decent clip. That made a huge difference and is precisely how you defeat a high-powered offense.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think we ran it a bit too much, but yes -- it is very important to establish a running game. If nothing else Carson can be a complementary piece to our offense that can put us in manageable third down distances and grind out third and shorts. I think many of these carries came from us just playing safe and trying to bleed the clock when we got a lead though. Before the third quarter it was 50/50.

sutz

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2si4uch0 said:
I think we ran it a bit too much, but yes -- it is very important to establish a running game. If nothing else Carson can be a complementary piece to our offense that can put us in manageable third down distances and grind out third and shorts. I think many of these carries came from us just playing safe and trying to bleed the clock when we got a lead though. Before the third quarter it was 50/50.
Kind of the essence of Pete Carroll football. He actually likes a balanced attack, but he wants to be able to run the ball even when the other team is expecting it, like Sunday in the 4th quarter when we had a decent lead and it was time to grind it out. Of course, in order to do that you have to have enough carries in Qtr 1-3 to tire the D out. Many teams these days can't do that. It's old school in many ways, but it can work and will win a lot of games.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
toffee":1teo3onv said:
Running the ball is good, 32 carries is great, 3 yards per carry really is not good. Got to be more efficient running the ball.
Yep...with a more formidable offense on the other side, that could be a reason we LOSE a game instead of WIN a game.

adeltaY

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":owt44s25 said:
toffee":owt44s25 said:
Yep...with a more formidable offense on the other side, that could be a reason we LOSE a game instead of WIN a game.

That's what I've been saying! And people are like nah this is Seahawk football. It won't work against offenses that put up points. Our defense has feasted on meh QBs these games but Rios, Mahomes, Goff, Rodgers, et al arent giving the ball up like that.

Also why the hell would you pay a QB 35 mil to run this offense? Fix the goddamn passing game, we are going to need it against some of the high flying offenses we are going to face this year.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete's version of what he wants is to control the ball, make the defense play both pass and run and keep them honest, run with success and they begin to cheat up, then unleash the long ball like we seen yesterday. Problem we have had is that 3.2 yds isn't world breaking but it gets you close to a 1st down on 3rd down on average, you will see 4 and 5 yds runs in there a lot, his yds went down when we were running out the clock and they were trying o strip tackle him.

Even with Lynch this was the case, I had issues with when we are busting off 5, 8 and more yds a carry and moving down the field we don't stick with it and change it up to high risk passes which create 3rd and longs when we are having success consistently running the ball.

Latest posts